RIM could help that situation by I dunno......... actually testing some of the junk that does get in.

I mean, how many BAC meters and unit converters does the World need? Especially when they don't work as advertised. Not sure why submission-to-approval times would be so long, seems they just hit "accept" and tada.. another 10-12 of them appear.

Love my PlayBook but RIM needs to stop waiting on developers and instead, go after them. Even at cost, all the money spent on those PlayBooks handed out to developers would have been better spent on bribing <insert any big name developer> to build an app for the PlayBook.
    And for the LOVE of GOD, lets give them the tools and get the good SDKs out there and the TAT tools! Has the Native SDK been released yet? And we are STILL waiting on the Android and BB Players.
    07-05-11 10:01 AM
    And for the LOVE of GOD, lets give them the tools and get the good SDKs out there and the TAT tools! Has the Native SDK been released yet? And we are STILL waiting on the Android and BB Players.
    Im playing the hurry up and wait game with RIM for the Android emulator for the playbook. Where's it at? No updates at all?
    07-05-11 01:34 PM
    I would def pick up a Playbook again if good apps come. I was playing with one at Staples and do miss the Playbook a bit but man they need apps. Great device but they need real quality apps in there.
    07-05-11 03:09 PM
    Has the Native SDK been released yet?
    Nope, it has not. Disappointing.
    07-05-11 03:54 PM
    Love my PlayBook but RIM needs to stop waiting on developers and instead, go after them. Even at cost, all the money spent on those PlayBooks handed out to developers would have been better spent on bribing <insert any big name developer> to build an app for the PlayBook.
    The user base is tiny - big name developers go where the money is. I got one of those "free" playbooks. I chose to write my app for PlayBook because I heard rumours that playbook would have a magnetometer. It does but I still can't connect to it because there is no API. I also heard rumours that PlayBook would have gps. But on the day that PB was released, customer support was telling everone that the device had no GPS chip. My astronomy app needs both of those chips to be competitive.

I got my "free" playbook 4 weeks after launch. None of the programmers could test their apps properly until long after launch date.

My first release worked passably well despite the difficulties. Frank, i was shocked that it worked at all. Many developers were not so lucky. Programs worked fine on the simulator but crashed on the real device. Lists that scrolled on the simulator froze on the real device. Keyboards that popped up on the simulator did not do likewise on the device. Heck, we couldn't even use multitouch gestures at all, because there was no way of testing the code on the simulator. Some devs included gestures anyway and the result was disastrous in many cases. The list of problems is endless.

One more thing - I am an experienced Java programmer. For months I have been working toward entering the BB market. I was going to write my astronomy app for existing bb phones but I changed my mind and learned a whole new programming language so I could target the playbook instead. I am currently having to rewrite the code so BB users can try my app. It's hard work. If I hadn't taken a detour for the PlayBook, I could be making good money now.

As it is, I am getting 200+ downloads a day for my free/demo version. I am getting rave reviews. Compare that performance with the fact that yesterday I sold 6 copies of my$.99 app for a profit of $4.20 after RIM gets their cut. The initial release of my app was called crap by some (not many) reviewers because it couldn't do what Google Sky Map could do (you know, with its compass and all).

It was really bad but I knew perfectly well what I was getting into. I have a thich skin. I'm not bothered at all by the PlayBook's current performance in the marketplace. Things will get better in the near term and I'm in a good position to take advantage of the huge potential of BB phones that run Java. (After I rewrite all my code)

No what really bothers me is all the crabbing I hear in forums like this. Yes there are a lot of horrible programmers and far too many horrible apps in PlayBook's App World. But this problem is not unique to our digital store. I agree that a lot of shrewd developers took advantage of the free playbook offer. But there are good things there too. There is a vast improvement in the quality of these programs over the last few months. I know because I have bought the same apps you buy and I have used them when they worked. When they didn't, I was in constant contact with other developers via support email to report problems and sort out rough spots. None of the devs that I ran into appeared to be shysters, they all wanted to get it right.

I'm not really expecting much love from consumer's yet either. I understand your impatience. But please, if you could temper your harsh comments with a little bit of understanding it would be really nice.

Sorry for this rant... I took the quoted statement personally. RIM got value for the freebee that I received and I wanted you to know that.
    07-05-11 04:52 PM
    why do I get the feeling Electronic Arts will never make another game for this POS.
    All of ea games on ipad were .99 yesterday.
    07-05-11 10:05 PM
    Yes, it does. Thank God I'm not crazy about it.

I wish Angry Birds was available though. I have it on my iMac, iPad, iPhone and nexus S. LOL
    07-06-11 12:13 AM
    Is it me or are the apps available in BB app world suck. This is just getting stupid. The only apps that are worth .2 cents are the minimal that came with the OS. Come on BB get it together....
    Why didn't you buy an ipad or keep using it if you are looking for apps. Playbook is not about apps. Its about how much potential the qnx have or what awesome power the hardware has. Also the browser has flash so that should solve most of your problems.

Also RIM just revamped the appworld to 3.0 today. Now the games and apps are under separate categories. How awesome is that? As for the apps you think are missing you RIM never promised it will be there and its only your fault if you did not do your research, because you should always spend a good amount of time looking at reviews, news etc before making a purchase.

I mean did you just go into a store and buy something off he shelf based on your limited knowledge and expectation. That would be insane.

So don't say something sucks for the **** of it.
    07-06-11 05:51 PM
    I find the apps fine.... not a big selection but it usually has something for my likeing....
    07-06-11 07:08 PM
    The playbook needs to find 10 key apps to get sales going. RIM should be actively fighting tooth and nail to get things on the playbook. Google maps, hulu, netflix, major trading companies financial trading apps and some cloud based apps that help the business world do their business. Games for the playbook need to be in the realm of ea games, not some pong version of some spent phone app. I have hundreds of more dollars to spend on software as do most users, but my money is just sitting waiting for things of value. How about a movie download app, so I don'thave to pirate and load movies myself? The ball is in your court RIM. We are all waiting.
    07-06-11 07:29 PM
    Sure a lot of people were in it for the free Playbook. I remember the slew of questions people were asking to simply take some lame flash game, wrap it in an Adobe Air package, and submit it as an app.

Some of the developers were seasoned Adobe Air developers who are very talented, but were forced to keep aiming at a moving target (changing SDKs and Simulators).

Others, like myself, are seasoned developers whose 'first language' is not Actionscript, but liked the idea of the Playbook and being able to get in on the ground floor. Actionscript was really the only option since the Webworks SDK didn't mature until much later in the game, and waiting for the the native SDK is like waiting for Godot.

A lot of the apps that are in app world now are simple not because people were looking to submit (cr)apps, but because they were getting their feet wet with aggressive deadlines.

Since the Playbook's release, the Adobe tools (Flash Builder) has matured to allow write-once / deploy-to-many-platforms. The SDK and simulator are finally reasonably stable. We have our Playbooks to be able to test on actual devices. Adobe has just recently finished an online seminar rolling out the new functionality of their tools to developers.

Apps don't write themselves. To laypeople, it might seem simple, but the simpler and easier an app appears, the more complex it probably is under the hood. Good apps take time. The promotion has generated interest among developers. There is still good activity going on in the BB Dev forums.

If memory serves me correctly, I think I recall replying to another post like this with a similar reply. I know that I've got a few pretty cool apps coming. I also know that there are others who do too.

I think that the pressure that's being put on us 'smaller' developers is based on the lack of 'big' apps making their way to App World. Perhaps a native chat client (WLM, Yahoo, AIM), a non-Kobo reader, Twitter, or eBay would go a long way to helping change people's attitudes toward the apps available. After all, the ratio of great app to junk apps is probably the same as that ratio in the Android market. It's just that they've got more top tier apps and many many many junk apps.
    07-06-11 08:01 PM
    The blackberry apps have sucked for more than just the past 2 months the playbook has been out.
    07-06-11 08:26 PM
    All of ea games on ipad were .99 yesterday.
    So, go and buy an ipad. I am sure that ea games will slowly start to appear here. It is going to take time for the code writers, but they will not snub the playbook. The playbook is a new platform and anytime a new platform comes along, the apps don't just magically appear. How long did it take ea games to get all their games to the ipad? It will take just as long for the playbook. I am a bit frustrated with how long things are taking, but I am sure the RIM will get it right.
    07-06-11 09:36 PM
    Even though the AppWorld may suck, my ipad friends tell me that the AppStore swallows.
    07-06-11 10:11 PM
    How long did it take ea games to get all their games to the ipad? It will take just as long for the playbook.
    EA had a bunch of their games available for the iPad launch, because Apple prepared better developer support up front and made sure there were a lot of good apps and games ready to go. RIM won't even have their native SDK out in final form until the fall. That is a world of difference.
    07-06-11 10:48 PM
    Well, I'm shelving the playbook until further notice. Not that really any of you care but i also could not care less that you don't care. I purchased the playook because I wanted something different and I liked the OS / browser but I just can't deal with the lack of e-mail client and countless other features. I'm kind of on the rail whether to sell now or just wait but I just can't see it ever gets close the quality of development compared to my iPad 2. Time will tell because if RIM does not wake up and get their act together they won't be around much longer.
    Last edited by lavrishevo; 07-06-11 at 11:06 PM.
    07-06-11 11:04 PM
    Well, I'm shelving the playbook until further notice. Not that really any of you care but i also could not care less that you don't care. I purchased the playook because I wanted something different and I liked the OS / browser but I just can't deal with the lack of e-mail client and countless other features. I'm kind of on the rail whether to sell now or just wait but I just can't see it ever gets close the quality of development compared to my iPad 2. Time will tell because if RIM does not wake up and get their act together they won't be around much longer.
    there are literaly thousands of android apps available for sideloading . ipad is borring. too simple and os feels old. what is up with that oldbutton ob ipad. thisis so 80s. finally pb does not need all apps of ipad. pb browser handles them all.

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    06-11-12 11:16 PM
    RIM could help that situation by I dunno......... actually testing some of the junk that does get in.

I mean, how many BAC meters and unit converters does the World need? Especially when they don't work as advertised. Not sure why submission-to-approval times would be so long, seems they just hit "accept" and tada.. another 10-12 of them appear.

Im not so sure about that. We have got a ton of new games recently because of the playbooks given away.. A lot of devs are even building their apps on Playbook and skipping other platforms. They probably would never have given it a chance without getting the free playbook.
    06-11-12 11:19 PM
    If you dont care that we dont care why do you care enough to post something we dont care about?
    06-11-12 11:20 PM
    Dead thread walking! Lol, this thread died almost a year ago guys
    LimeTripBlog likes this.
    06-11-12 11:50 PM
    last time I checked, most users are adults using the tablet in real world situations. A couple of these aren't bad as some people let their children play with it and that's fine, it's the over abundance of these apps that are killing the experience.
    I know this is an old thread but with the 199$ discount a lot of users are people buying PB for their kids (since its the same price as an iPod Touch but bigger screen and we all know bigger is better... ahem*)... Anyways my app 'Passing Notes' is simple and to be honest - it was done just for my own learning of javascript. The target audience for that app is probably highschool aged or below... Although it is a free app, the number of downloads I get a day and the 'comments' I get from the 'support line' suggests to me that the majority of users are below 'legal-age'... so therefore i think it is safe to assume that the playbook has more '<18 yrs old' users than we may think ...

Just my 2 cents.
    06-12-12 10:54 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD