Is it me or are the apps available in BB app world suck. This is just getting stupid. The only apps that are worth .2 cents are the minimal that came with the OS. Come on BB get it together....
    07-04-11 09:46 PM
    Telling BB to get it together is not going to solve anything since it's not even the BB developing them or RIM. It's up to developers to create them, and if they aren't willing to create them you, me and the rest of the PB owners are SOL.
    From what I understand, there's a lack of people developing because there's not much incentive for them and the turn around after submissions are a a little long.
    07-04-11 09:49 PM
    AppWorld is only as good as the developers.
    When first class program development companies find the PB to be an economic product, meaning they can make money off it, then they will make their compatible apps.
    This has nothing to do with RIM.
    Presently the PB is too new to the market and there are few users.
    07-04-11 09:59 PM
    AppWorld is only as good as the developers.
    When first class program development companies find the PB to be an economic product, meaning they can make money off it, then they will make their compatible apps.
    This has nothing to do with RIM.
    Presently the PB is too new to the market and there are few users.
    RIM could help that situation by I dunno......... actually testing some of the junk that does get in.

I mean, how many BAC meters and unit converters does the World need? Especially when they don't work as advertised. Not sure why submission-to-approval times would be so long, seems they just hit "accept" and tada.. another 10-12 of them appear.

Love my PlayBook but RIM needs to stop waiting on developers and instead, go after them. Even at cost, all the money spent on those PlayBooks handed out to developers would have been better spent on bribing to build an app for the PlayBook.
    07-04-11 10:02 PM
    This is a perfect example that everything isn't for everybody. Sure "ALL" of the apps are not EXCELLENT, but depending on what you like is what you get.
    07-04-11 10:14 PM
    RIM could help that situation by I dunno......... actually testing some of the junk that does get in.

I mean, how many BAC meters and unit converters does the World need? Especially when they don't work as advertised.
    What I'm about to write is my assumption/thought only:

Look at the guy that created that joke of an app called Plinko... he's the one that ripped the PB a new one, he was clearly all about Apple.

Do you think that some of the developers are just creating crap to actually call themselves developers and get pre-releases of these devices? Do you think that Plinko developer actually had any good intentions of working with the playbook? I can see if he truly wanted to make a useful app he would have spent more time and tried to make something that would be beneficial to PB users.

We don't really need more games like wordsearch, coloring books or spot the differences. Those are games for children and last time I checked, most users are adults using the tablet in real world situations. A couple of these aren't bad as some people let their children play with it and that's fine, it's the over abundance of these apps that are killing the experience.

I keep checking back to see if there's banking apps, Ebay, paypal, PDF viewers... things like that.

I'm not sure if this is coming out right, and excuse me if it's not, I'm not trying to make this about bashing any platforms or any developers. There's many developers out there that are actually trying and making useful apps for us. This is just what I've seen.
    07-04-11 10:18 PM
    the games on there are good.buy yea i agree,why have new product hit the market with no apps integration. what's the use of the product then?its like taking a bb smartphone and cutting off any apps(including bbm) and just leaving email.that would be so boring with just making calls and emails all day long.hopefully rim resolves this and has a fully functioning app world soon.
    07-04-11 10:19 PM

Look at the guy that created that joke of an app called Plinko... he's the one that ripped the PB a new one, he was clearly all about Apple.

Do you think that some of the developers are just creating crap to actually call themselves developers and get pre-releases of these devices? Do you think that Plinko developer actually had any good intentions of working with the playbook? I can see if he truly wanted to make a useful app he would have spent more time and tried to make something that would be beneficial to PB users.
    We don't really need more games like wordsearch, coloring books or spot the differences. Those are games for children and last time I checked, most users are adults using the tablet in real world situations. A couple of these aren't bad as some people let their children play with it and that's fine, it's the over abundance of these apps that are killing the experience.

I keep checking back to see if there's banking apps, Ebay, paypal, PDF viewers... things like that.
    I'm not sure if this is coming out right, and excuse me if it's not, I'm not trying to make this about bashing any platforms or any developers. There's many developers out there that are actually trying and making useful apps for us. This is just what I've seen.

I really think a lot of the novices are hoping to cash in early are the ones putting the apps out presently.

I agree with you SmakBerry, no more freaking calcs or unit converters. Instead gimme these (since the apps are already in AppWorld):

A Maps program that works like Google Earth including importing custom Google Maps/Earth overlays

A Mindmaps program that fully integrates Freemind and OpenProject/MicroCrap Project

Just two Productivity programs.... That are fully functional and serve my business needs.
    Last edited by tstrike34; 07-05-11 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Grammar and content correction
    SmakBerry likes this.
    07-04-11 10:23 PM

Look at the guy that created that joke of an app called Plinko... he's the one that ripped the PB a new one, he was clearly all about Apple.[....]

[....] I'm not sure if this is coming out right, and excuse me if it's not, I'm not trying to make this about bashing any platforms or any developers. There's many developers out there that are actually trying and making useful apps for us. This is just what I've seen.
    Came out fine Smak..and what you stated are my issues as well.. there is more then just that one guy who have created junk apps with no intentions of making them the best they could have.. Far too many IMO.

The developers that actually care made great apps: Blaq, Slacker, TouchUp Pro, ColorUp Pro, Poynt, Score Mobile, InstaPhoto, LiteFTP, PaperPlane..and more. And all did so w/o the NDK.

But there is just too much of the junk getting in.. read the reviews in App Word.. they're dreadful.
    SmakBerry likes this.
    07-04-11 10:26 PM
    I really think a lot of the novices holding to cash in early are the ones putting the apps out presently.

I agree with you SmakBerry, no more freaking calcs or unit converters. Instead gimme these (since the apps are already in AppWorld):

A Maps program that works like Google Earth including importing custom Google Maps/Earth overlays

A Mindmaps program that fully integrates Freemind and OpenProject/MicroCrap Project

Just two Productivity programs.... That are fully functional..
    Came out fine Smak..and what you stated are my issues as well.. there is more then just that one guy who have created junk apps with no intentions of making them the best they could have.. Far too many IMO.

The developers that actually care made great apps: Blaq, Slacker, TouchUp Pro, ColorUp Pro, Poynt, Score Mobile, InstaPhoto, LiteFTP, PaperPlane..and more. And all did so w/o the NDK.

But there is just too much of the junk getting in.. read the reviews in App Word.. they're dreadful.
    Fully agree guys, and thanks for not taking what I said out of context.
    07-04-11 10:36 PM
    Do you think that some of the developers are just creating crap to actually call themselves developers and get pre-releases of these devices?
    Yes. When there is an incentive to cheat, someone always will. The "free PlayBook" is a huge incentive to turn out a junk app just to get a device.

Do you think that Plinko developer actually had any good intentions of working with the playbook?
    Maybe he didn't. But intentions can be hard to decipher; the real question is whether his criticisms are accurate.

I can see if he truly wanted to make a useful app he would have spent more time and tried to make something that would be beneficial to PB users.
    Perhaps, but the "make useful app" incentive doesn't work when the install base is so small. The way to attractive developers is not by telling them they should make useful products; it's by showing them that if they do make useful products, they can reap financial rewards. Having a good suite of development tools would help as well. Sure, you can probably make a great app on the current tools, but in light of the slow developer response, RIM needs to make the development process as painless as possible.
    07-04-11 10:41 PM
    Additional problem with so many programs you have never heard of does not allow for a trial period or anything like that. I know 99 cents or $1.99 is not a lot of money but so many after reading the description seems to be a waste of even a dollar. If they were carryovers from our BB phone applications then it would easier to spend even a dollar on some of these programs because we would be familiar with them.
    07-04-11 10:43 PM
    Perhaps, but the "make useful app" incentive doesn't work when the install base is so small. The way to attractive developers is not by telling them they should make useful products; it's by showing them that if they do make useful products, they can reap financial rewards. Having a good suite of development tools would help as well. Sure, you can probably make a great app on the current tools, but in light of the slow developer response, RIM needs to make the development process as painless as possible.

I agree fully with this statement and it's something I meant to mention as I was posting, but with trying to make sure I wasn't stepping on any toes I missed it out. I have heard about the lack of useful tools for developing and I'm by no means even close to being a developer myself so I don't fully know what it all entails.

Also agree with the post above that trials or demos should come with all apps, I know for myself I've been burned by purchasing an app I thought would be useful only to find out it's buggy or doesn't live up to what it's description was. I no longer pay for apps that have no trials.
    07-04-11 10:52 PM
    Maybe he didn't. But intentions can be hard to decipher; the real question is whether his criticisms are accurate.
    These sound like the words of someone who has not seen his PlayBook review.. I'd share it with you but alas -- he took it down. Can't imagine why..
    07-04-11 10:56 PM
    I agree fully with this statement and it's something I meant to mention as I was posting, but with trying to make sure I wasn't stepping on any toes I missed it out. I have heard about the lack of useful tools for developing and I'm by no means even close to being a developer myself so I don't fully know what it all entails.

Also agree with the post above that trials or demos should come with all apps, I know for myself I've been burned by purchasing an app I thought would be useful only to find out it's buggy or doesn't live up to what it's description was. I no longer pay for apps that have no trials.
    I offer the following as Exhibit A in support of SmakBerry's consistent and correct assertions:

aiFlex's email program. A crappy program that gipped PB owners out of 3 bucks for beta testing his/her/their dogfood. After being pounded online, the developer went into hiding (find the tread in PB Apps/Games). Truly remarkable.
    Lebdoc likes this.
    07-04-11 11:18 PM
    I talk trash in a lot of forums. But here for this tablet it's just not funny anymore. I really don't understand what's going on in the RIM building? I want to see this thing get turned around. Seems like rim might be jealous of developers making IM,email,banking,or any other useful app. Either they want it to fail or they are about to drop the mother load on us real soon.
    07-04-11 11:30 PM
    I call it The CrappWorld .. it is beginning to frustrate seeing so many useless apps.
    And we are so right, what the **** is going on at RIM?

But I think the developers are waiting for the NDK, don't you?
    07-05-11 03:44 AM
    I call it The CrappWorld .. it is beginning to frustrate seeing so many useless apps.
    And we are so right, what the **** is going on at RIM?

But I think the developers are waiting for the NDK, don't you?
    its been called that from the beginning lol
    07-05-11 05:07 AM
    I am afraid that with RIM's current situation and the challeng of hitting earnings projections, App world is not on their list of priorities at all. From a business viewpoint resources are allocated towards getting new devices and new sales to market. While, I would never claim that RIM doesnt care about early playbook buyers, they have little incentive to spice up the apps right now. On an earnings call, nobody cares if they bought a new developer like TAT nor if Angry birds is finally here.

They are saying show me the profits!
    07-05-11 06:29 AM
    Why would a real dev waste his time with RIM??? 10 people incl me use the PB, while millions use Apple an Android tablets.
    07-05-11 07:27 AM
    ^^that's quite true in perspective of the developers, who relay totally with the number of end user as target customers before investing in developing programs... and on this scenario, RIM should make a move instead of waiting for the developers to move for them... since that is unlikely to happen now because of the existing surely customers courtesy of iTunes and Android Markets... it's like "now or never" for RIM... once they lost this battle, it may affect their future products...
    07-05-11 08:50 AM
    RIM is doing something to encourage development!
    2011 BlackBerry Developers Challenge
    07-05-11 08:55 AM
    So sadly true. The App World sucks. Why? Apart from "developers" scrambling for free PB, here is my uneducated guess:-

1. BB are under-powered in hardware, probably for good reason historically to preserve power. Apps with decent or intensive graphics like action games are completely out of question. Games make money!!

2. Developers do not get paid because App World's payment module does not work. Admittedly, App World has improved features in the last few updates...if only it works. Bottom line is I still cannot buy anything there. Always error message either paying by Paypal or credit card, and I have tried different cards. I don't know why but hopefully it is carrier-specific problem. I live in Hong Kong. If developer can't be paid, why develop. NB. I have been trying to buy Pinball Deluxe for months without success.

3. Unlike iphone, BB comes in all sort of screen size and hardware config (CPU, ram etc) and it is a pain or huge compromise to develop something that works on all models in last few generations. Unlike iphone again, BB are used as work machines in corporate world and many old models are still in use. Developers may well feel obliged not to exclude old models when THEY REALLY SHOULD.

My 2 cents.
    07-05-11 09:43 AM

You are absolutely correct!

The problem is not one that RIM faces but also Apple.
    How many of the 'hundreds of' thousands iPad apps are worth anything ... maybe a lucky 5%.

On the other hand, if the app is worthwhile the developers have an incentive to bring worthwhile updates. If they are 'junk' then the app will die. I always look at 'reviews', and if possible, 'most popular' before I download. I have more free apps in myWorld 'un-installed' then those 'installed'.
    07-05-11 09:49 AM
    Even at cost, all the money spent on those PlayBooks handed out to developers would have been better spent on bribing <insert any big name developer> to build an app for the PlayBook.
    Unfortunately even Adobe (pdf), Kobo (ePub), DataViz- RIMS own company (docs2go ...), made junk PB apps
    07-05-11 09:56 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD