Does anyone know for certain how the following situation is supposed to work?

If a vendor posts an app initially as a free app, somebody downloads it, then changes the app to non-free and posts updates to the app. Shouldn't anyone who has downloaded it for free be entitled to all upgrades for free (provided the upgrade price is free)?

When I tested such a scenario on my PlayBook, that seems to be the case. But some people said they had to pay for upgrades even though they had downloaded the original version for free.

I'm utterly confused.
    05-16-12 10:45 AM
    My experiance has been, I installed an app that was free, after several days was notified that there was an update. Every time I tried to install the update it would fail. Eventually I found out that the app was no longer free and according to BB that was the cause of the failure. Granted this was under v1 s/w, so what all happenes now with v2, to me is a total mystery.
    05-16-12 11:14 AM
    I've run into what montyl has - no free upgrade. What's annoying about the situtation is that appworld keeps notifying me of the upgrade even though I am not interested in paying for the newer version. One of the apps was a Solitaire Pack - well, the free version has a bug where one of the games is missing with one duplicated. I would guess the upgrade fixed that bug!
    05-16-12 03:44 PM
    I wish RIM would fix that too. Developers can require people to pay for an update, if a Dev who offered a free app changed it to paid, he could easily just require all upgraders to pay for it.
    05-16-12 07:13 PM
    I wish RIM would fix that too. Developers can require people to pay for an update, if a Dev who offered a free app changed it to paid, he could easily just require all upgraders to pay for it.
    Hi scrid, how about if i bought the app for 0.99 then the price was changed to normal. Will i still be able to reinstall it if I happen to delete it? Or i should pay again? I'm afraid to wipe my first pb. Hope you can clear it to me. Thanks
    05-16-12 07:23 PM
    DM should allow options to backup and restore INDIVIDUAL apps. That way folks could save free apps and restore them or save cheaper early versions and restore them if prices change or they don't like new features. I've got programs (apps) on my computer that I purchased ages ago. They still work fine for me even though newer versions have come out over the years. I'd like the same power to keep older versions on the pb.
    05-16-12 08:10 PM
    Hi scrid, how about if i bought the app for 0.99 then the price was changed to normal. Will i still be able to reinstall it if I happen to delete it? Or i should pay again? I'm afraid to wipe my first pb. Hope you can clear it to me. Thanks
    Good question.
    You should be fine to redownload it as long as the app was paid when you bought it and is still paid now. Price is a subcatagory of the catagory where you declare if the app is free or paid.
    If it doesn't work like that, I'll be upset - I wouldn't want anyone having to repurchase anything of mine if I changed the price, and I wouldn't want to have to repurchase apps like that either.
    velociraptor89 likes this.
    05-16-12 08:13 PM
    Okay. I have done a couple of experiments. One is on an app initially free and then become nonfree with an upgrade. The upgrade did not require me to pay. The other is deleting an app downloaded when free. Ater the app became nonfree, I reinstalled the app through My World. It reinstalled without asking for payment.

I seem to recall that it was not the case with OS 1.0, which I thought was a bug. But I guess it was fixed in OS 2.0. Anyway, if anyone could confirm from his or her experience, I'll greatly appreciate it.
    05-17-12 01:36 AM
    The developer can specify which versions get free updates.
    05-17-12 01:40 AM
    The developer can specify which versions get free updates.
    Right. But I once encountered the same problem that montyl had: I couldn't reinstall an app that was downloaded when free but later became non-free (same version).
    05-17-12 04:01 AM
    Right. But I once encountered the same problem that montyl had: I couldn't reinstall an app that was downloaded when free but later became non-free (same version).
    I mean the developer can specify that updates aren't free. There is an option that lets them charge whatever they want for an update.
    05-17-12 04:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD