I have been running OS2 beta (7111) since its release. Lately I have noticed a sharp increase of apps becoming available as well as escalation of app updates daily. The Handster (Android) apps are being pushed out. There are some really sweet apps out there. Hopefully this means that the official OS2 rollout is around the corner.
    Last edited by Kingkracker; 02-02-12 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Update - added screen shots of Handster search
    kbz1960, allsportsfan, ekv and 4 others like this.
    02-01-12 09:21 AM
    I have been running OS2 beta (7111) since its release. Lately I have noticed a sharp increase of apps becoming available as well as escalation of app updates daily. The Handster (Android) apps are being pushed out. There are some really sweet apps out there. Hopefully this means that the official OS2 rollout is around the corner.
    Can you post some screenshots of the new apps pls
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-01-12 09:38 AM
    I stopped using the Beta and went back to vanilla OS due to stabillity concerns. Could you please elaborate on the types of apps that have been added?
    Thanks.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-01-12 10:11 AM
    Good news, if true.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-01-12 10:31 AM
    What is the estimated app count now in 2.0?
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-01-12 10:55 AM
    What is the estimated app count now in 2.0?
    Unfortunately, that number is meaningless as a good proportion of "apps" are not apps at all.
    Willard814 and xiaohuaxing like this.
    02-01-12 10:58 AM
    It is meaningful because the competitors have a significant amount of junk in their numbers as well, so a comparison is still useful.
    02-01-12 11:00 AM
    im still running 1.8 and wondered why appworld had gone so quiet. i thought it was related to os2. good to know, cant wait.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-01-12 11:02 AM
    It is meaningful because the competitors have a significant amount of junk in their numbers as well, so a comparison is still useful.
    Yes, competitors have junk apps but those are still apps. Let's put it this way: AppWorld has a pretty copious collection of ebooks that, for some reason, are called "apps".
    02-01-12 11:03 AM
    I have never seen such ^*(^(* as the standalone ebooks in AppWorld. Hopefully, there'll be some way to filter them out so they don't continue to clutter up real apps. Nothing like it in Android or IOS.
    Willard814 and jedibeeftrix like this.
    02-01-12 11:13 AM
    yah i have also noticed in the last week that more apps are being added then i have ever seen, like the op said some really decent Handster Inc. android apps
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-01-12 11:20 AM
    So much junk in Apple app store!

I had to install one on the wife's iPad to download mp3 walking tours of Paris. No need for that on the PlayBook. Just click a link on the web site to download the same mp3!!
    02-01-12 11:38 AM
    I don't see how the increase in apps and updates has anything to do with OS2. It would be logical to assume that as the PB got older, more and better apps would be introduced.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-01-12 12:06 PM
    I don't see how the increase in apps and updates has anything to do with OS2. It would be logical to assume that as the PB got older, more and better apps would be introduced.
    To run android ported apps, you need 2.0 OS. Beta users can already see them, while 1.0.8 can't.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-01-12 12:17 PM
    Handster apps have been available on App World for a few weeks now, and I see Android apps not from Handster as well (ex. Ghost Commander). It's funny the Android file manager lets you see more than what native PB file manager can.

I also saw Tapatalk - says "Now available for Playbook" so I thought it was native but looking at screen capture (obviously from some Android PHONE) it appears to be Android app as well. I have it already side loaded so I don't want to purchase it if it's still the same Android app, but it's also priced at $3.99!! That seems a little more expensive than ones available on Android Market.

It's good that more apps are flowing in, but why are many of them costing more than on other platforms?
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    02-01-12 01:38 PM
    Lately I have noticed a sharp increase of apps becoming available as well as escalation of app updates daily.
    Yah!
    The guy who charges $0.99 for 'apps', otherwise FREE download books (at HTTP://ARCHIVE.ORG from archive.org), is now DUMPing a ton of stuff ..
    these show up in the NEWEST section
    Last edited by mandony; 02-01-12 at 01:56 PM.
    02-01-12 01:51 PM
    Yah!
    The guy who charges $0.99 for 'apps', otherwise FREE download books (at HTTP://ARCHIVE.ORG from archive.org), is now DUMPing a ton of stuff ..
    these show up in the NEWEST section
    I know what Amazon can do to take over the app crown from Apple. Follow what RIM is doing and label all Kindle e-books as "apps" and sell those "apps" individually and here you go - millions of new apps
    Willard814 and xiaohuaxing like this.
    02-01-12 02:22 PM
    Yes, competitors have junk apps but those are still apps. Let's put it this way: AppWorld has a pretty copious collection of ebooks that, for some reason, are called "apps".
    They should create I think what they might call an "Berrybrary", a libray for the ebooks to keep them separate from the actual Apps.

C
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-01-12 02:50 PM
    Yep, even excluding the "book apps" new apps have been appearing in app world on a nearly daily basis for the past few weeks. Most of them Android Apps with Handster Apps (Most of which I amnot overly impressed with) the most common. In the last week or so more quality apps have been showing up. The better ones having already been written about in the PB apps forum.
    02-01-12 03:11 PM
    I've downloaded and am using the Android App 'OverDrive' (a public library e-book management tool) and it is very slick! The integration with the Playbook is totally seamless, and it appears minor changes have been made to tweak it specifically for the Playbook (i.e. references within the App to the Playbook) so its more than just a recompile and post.

All I can say is that if the QNX can support running Android Apps this well that was never intended to run on a Playbook, it is one awesome piece of technology.
    02-01-12 03:39 PM
    I definitely agree that App World needs to create an "ebook" category. I don't like clicking on something that looks like an app only to find it's a book. Hope that happens in the next update.

So excited for the update to 2.0 and all that it brings with it! Well... most of what it brings with it.
    02-01-12 03:58 PM
    Someone at RIM needs a slap for allowing these 'eBook' apps to ever become available on App World in the first place. This is getting bad enough that I have almost gone back to iPad. Are you listening Thorsten?
    02-01-12 04:07 PM
    See the original post. I added screen shots.
    02-02-12 09:23 PM
    I've only checked for the Handster apps. A friend's PB doesn't have beta installed so I compared the two app worlds. The Handster ones are definitely not available in OS1.0.8. The screen shots only show the searched resuts.

iPad apps aren't cheap- they are priced the same as the PB.

I haven't counted the apps though I wish there was a was a drop down in any given section that would give the count of apps in the category. It would be helpful to compare app world fodder in the different releases. However, looking at social networking, OS1 has 48 apps, OS2 has 92. Clearly a jump.
    Last edited by Kingkracker; 02-02-12 at 09:33 PM.
    02-02-12 09:25 PM
    I definitely agree that App World needs to create an "ebook" category. I don't like clicking on something that looks like an app only to find it's a book. Hope that happens in the next update.

So excited for the update to 2.0 and all that it brings with it! Well... most of what it brings with it.
    There is an eBook category already in app world (OS1).
    Innerchild likes this.
    02-02-12 09:35 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD