Anyone else getting annoid by all of the books someone is releasing on App World.

I log on hoping for new apps...goood ones I mean like a descent bloody checkbook / budget app. At first glance I get my hopes up when I see a bunch of new releases only to discover all of these damn books.

If I wanted a book I would go to a bookstore and not an app store.

Would you think me a **** if I contacted app world and lodged a complaint?
    10-09-11 10:43 AM
    Anyone else getting annoid by all of the books someone is releasing on App World.

I log on hoping for new apps...goood ones I mean like a descent bloody checkbook / budget app. At first glance I get my hopes up when I see a bunch of new releases only to discover all of these damn books.

You may suggest a clearer classification ... in did this is annoying.
    10-09-11 10:49 AM

i agree with you and hope the fix this issue.
    10-09-11 11:03 AM
    this is getting ridiculous
    10-09-11 11:10 AM
    I just emailed them about this.
    10-09-11 11:11 AM
    +1 on that. I been asking the same think. Almost feels like spam on the app world. All by the same publisher as well. They should create a main app and list all their books in that. I would probably download it. But right now i just want to boycot them.
    10-09-11 11:23 AM
    I wish that Digi-Media-Apps would re-think its marketing strategy. These "apps" are prime examples of very poor app design. This is the main reason why I do not favour dignifying this vendor's methods by giving them a private section on the main app world page. Besides there is at least one other vendor using this scam to sell questionable "offline" maps. Should we give this vendor a platform of their own as well?

Far better to provide a user-configurable filter mechanism so that certain authors can be excluded from the lists. Actually we need advanced filters on all of the category lists as well. I just looked in the eBook and maps category again. It is impossible to find the few legitimate apps in either place.

Until RIM makes the necessary improvements, may I suggest that the OP use the existing (albeit simplistic) search mechanism and look for keywords such as "personal", "budget" and "finance". This will turn up possible candidates for purchase, including newly added apps.
    10-09-11 11:37 AM
    I just sent them this email:

"Hello Blackberryappworldmarketing,

I know I am not alone in being completely put-off by the continuous appearance of the various "book apps" that appear on the Playbook version of AppWorld. There is no chance for any REAL apps to make an appearance as NEW apps as long as this one publisher completely dominates the daily listings.

I have pretty much abandoned any effort to find new apps because invariably the majority, if not all but one or two apps are these BOOKS. Very irritating.

I hope you can find a way to give them their place in a separate listing but it would be very helpful to give other apps a fighting chance.

A concerned user."

I am not sure that I had the correct email. Anyone have an address or addresses?
    Jayeboi, louzer, melander and 5 others like this.
    10-09-11 11:59 AM
    I, too, think it"s a bit of a scam since almost all those titles are in the public domain and can be downloaded for free from Project Gutenberg. All you need is an e-reader.
    kb5zht likes this.
    10-09-11 12:43 PM
    I am not sure that I had the correct email. Anyone have an address or addresses?
    I sent my email to the same address ([email protected]).

There are many threads being started on this subject we should make a rule:

You can only post a complaint in the forum if you commit to sending the same complaint complaint to RIM as well.
    10-09-11 12:57 PM
    I agree it's annoying they should have one app and allow you to download books through it. One app per book is ridiculous.
    10-09-11 01:10 PM
    I sent my email to the same address ([email protected]).

There are many threads being started on this subject we should make a rule:

You can only post a complaint in the forum if you commit to sending the same complaint complaint to RIM as well.
    Thanks for the email. I did email from app world but it came back because it said I didn't have the correct code or whatever. Must had been a developer email or something.
    10-09-11 01:14 PM

Email Alec Saunders, head of developer relations, and cc Mike and Jim about this ridiculous situation wherein BlackBerry AppWorld is being flooded by "ebooks" masquerading as applications. The person(s) submitting these items to BlackBerry AppWorld and the idiots within Research In (Slow) Motion whom approve them should be smacked upside the head with an Apple iPad.
    10-09-11 01:28 PM
    Is it possible to get an epetition started for member to sign and then send them the petition? Probably get more people to sign then to email.
    10-09-11 01:31 PM
    I've support the playbook development community by buying apps! But these book apps makes any potential apps not able to surface does make me harder to find or even see/exposed awesome apps.

Yes I know RIM also wants the numbers like "whoa we have 10000 apps" but please at least let us blacklist/filter apps or toss these book apps to its individual section.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-09-11 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the email. I did email from app world but it came back because it said I didn't have the correct code or whatever. Must had been a developer email or something.
    The email address in App World is the developer support email address. While I encourage people to complain directly to the dev, I really don't think that this particular dev cares what you think. His target is the gullible uneducated newbee who falls under definition of the sucker that is born every minute. Better to send a pointed message to RIM marketing. Although they will not respond, I'm am sure that they will take note of hundreds of messages. If only a few of us care enough to send an email, we are just wasting our time.
    10-09-11 01:33 PM
    If they are using these things to increase app numbers then they are making themselves look even more foolish and app world look foolish to everyone that is against them. What crap.

Yes we have 1,000,000 apps .......... to bad they are all ebooks and maps you can get anywhere and they don't do anything.
    10-09-11 01:35 PM
    Of course boycotting the developer and not buying the books goes without saying I suppose....
    I cant believe RIM even approves these....
    10-09-11 01:36 PM
    Completely agree! My free and quite neat GEOrendr app didn't even make the new apps list between all the "offline" maps and free but being charged for "book apps".

I feel bad for the companies that spend a lot of time developing an app to have it lie undiscovered and not-discoverable.
    10-09-11 01:46 PM
    Keven or Adamn can we get something like this on the front page of CrackBerry? I constantly check the "newest" app category but frankly get annoyed when I see all these books and "offline" apps.
    kbz1960 and willie44 like this.
    10-09-11 02:10 PM
    Just adding my two cents - I hate these book apps; I think they do clutter up the "whats new" category; and they take away valuable real estate from the true apps being introduced by real developers. I have tweeted/emailed Blackberry about this ever since these books started showing up. Utterly horrible to what this one so-called devloper has done to App World; it is unfanthonable why RIM allows this as well. Create a new category in App World for Books; remove them from the "whats new "category" and problem solved.
    10-09-11 02:49 PM
    Completely agree! My free and quite neat GEOrendr app didn't even make the new apps list between all the "offline" maps and free but being charged for "book apps".

I feel bad for the companies that spend a lot of time developing an app to have it lie undiscovered and not-discoverable.
    Got your plug in now - I'm downloading it.
    10-09-11 02:50 PM

Thanks, I have discovered your offering. Very nice.
    10-09-11 03:27 PM
    Yep, posted about this in the app section. I'm sure I'm missing apps by these 'books' taking up the newest section.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 03:38 PM

This is a very nice app , and I have been curious for sometime maybe you can answer- what motivates developers to give away apps for free? I mean thank you , but shouldn't you request compensation for what obviously is a lot of hard work? Do you not need money, do you just do it as a hobby for fun? Are you promoting something? Do you undervalue your work? Is it for pride and notoriety? I just don't understand.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but in some ways it does other developers a disservice when people begin to expect quality apps for free. They begin to complain when anyone charges for apps, I myself avoid paying if I can and go straight to the free section I must admit.
    10-09-11 06:18 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD