I would pay up to $10 for a working app with these functions:

1) a big digital clock that is can be dimmed so it doesn't light up the whole room (with a very basic alarm - maybe even with the ability to set weekday vs weekend vs 7 days)
    2) small basic local weather info - maybe just a pictogram, current temp and hi-low
    3) latest score for one or two selected teams
    4) the ability to override the stupid standby mode that blacks out most clock apps after a max of 5 minutes.

As noted, I'd pay good money for this and I'd even be happy to help test it.
    04-28-11 07:33 AM
    I could actually see this becoming an app, and lots of people wanting it. I, for one.. another one :P, would like to see something like this. I wouldn't care about having scores as I'm not a sports fan, but having the ability to show the weather, and override standby mode would be awesome. I hope someone looks into doing this. Maybe you should make this into a poll, if you can edit it to do so, and see how much people would want something like this. That might motivate a developer to create it.
    04-28-11 07:37 AM
    count me in too. I was laughing as I went to bed last night staring at my nightstand which now has

1) regular alarm clock
    2) Blackberry 9650 in charging pod as my "primary" alarm clock
    3) Blackberry PlayBook in its new charging stand.

Clearly the screen real estate on the PB would make for a killer bedside alarm clock.

+1 to the OP.
    04-28-11 08:03 AM
    aDD ME TOO,will be nice if we can get a theme with hidding docks as well and weather and clock like for example HB9800,Excite"
    04-28-11 08:20 AM
    I actually wrote something along the lines of this months ago, but never ended up completing it. Its about 90% done, only a couple hours of work is left. It was more a learning exercise for myself to learn ActionScript.

The only think it would lack is the ability to dim the backlight. Im not aware of any way to do that.

If there's interest I'll complete it.
    04-28-11 10:48 AM
    I would be interested and Im willing to pay for a nice theme, keep going at it !!!
    04-28-11 11:14 AM
    I actually wrote something along the lines of this months ago, but never ended up completing it. Its about 90% done, only a couple hours of work is left. It was more a learning exercise for myself to learn ActionScript.

The only think it would lack is the ability to dim the backlight. Im not aware of any way to do that.

If there's interest I'll complete it.
    Now that looks like a killer app for the PB.

Add me to the list of people who would be interested in this if you do go ahead and complete it!
    04-28-11 11:48 AM
    Definitely do it, and maybe add some more options for the rss feed, like the OP said, maybe a selection of sports teams or multiple rss feeds that continually rotate.
    04-28-11 01:19 PM
    Hearing people say things like an alarm clock is a killer app makes me never want to code again.
    04-28-11 02:15 PM
    when its an app that you use and trust every morning, i'd agree its a killer app. just because its not angry birds or something doesn't mean its not good. the VNC client will also be a killer app, as is doodleblast. So code away, and the people in this thread aren't for you. again thanks OP for work so far and hope it gets better from here.
    04-28-11 03:30 PM
    I have the name....... Wait for it..........

The Ultimate Clock Radio!

Shao, we need the sports score if you can AND can you add the ability for it to tap in to a music source either another app on the device (slacker), a website (radiotime for example), OR our music collection. It HAS to have music!
    04-28-11 03:35 PM
    Would love this! Add me to the list.
    04-28-11 03:48 PM
    There is an app called Talk Clock ($1.99 with a one week free trial) that comes close.

The only shortfalls of this app:

1) it is missing a standby override (rendering it completely useless)
    2) it is missing the addition of sports scores
    3) the weather icons give you the whole week (so they are too small and illegible), when only the very simple weather info is needed.

So, to sum it all up:

Take Talk Clock as a starting point (great clock display options, great alarm and neat talking feature), replace the weather with the weather found on Photo Frame Pro, and add the ability to prevent sleep mode from Timeflip, and then add the rss feed from your app (which I assume I will be able to use to get sports scores).

I would pay for that app.
    04-28-11 04:12 PM
    Hearing people say things like an alarm clock is a killer app makes me never want to code again.
    No problem, I won't miss you
    04-28-11 04:32 PM
    We've got just what you're looking for with Wakeful BlackBerry Alarm! We've created an alarm application that reads aloud the local weather, the latest breaking news, and stock information. We're looking into the possibility of adding sports scores, and Wakeful might be just what you've been looking for.

Full disclosure, I work with the Wakeful team.
    05-18-11 10:06 AM
    Wakeful looks interesting... but short of downloading it, I would say that it's for a standard BB and not for the Playbook... or I could be wrong...
    05-18-11 12:58 PM
    FYI, the latest version of Talk Clock 1.4 now has the ability to keep alive the display and disable sleep mode while it is active. This is configurable. It has weather and as it's name implies will speak the time and weather on alarm activation. It is pretty good. It has one bug related to midnight roll over that should be fixed in v. 1.5 that has been submitted to App World. Only thing missing is the sports options.
    05-18-11 02:06 PM
    Wakeful would be nice if they didn't charge an insane amount for it. And yes it is for the phones and not the playbook. Talk clock is MUCH more reasonably priced at $1.99.
    05-18-11 02:11 PM
    I would pay up to $10 for a working app with these functions:

1) a big digital clock that is can be dimmed so it doesn't light up the whole room (with a very basic alarm - maybe even with the ability to set weekday vs weekend vs 7 days)
    2) small basic local weather info - maybe just a pictogram, current temp and hi-low
    3) latest score for one or two selected teams
    4) the ability to override the stupid standby mode that blacks out most clock apps after a max of 5 minutes.

As noted, I'd pay good money for this and I'd even be happy to help test it.
    Actually there is Antair Nightstand, the only thing it dosen't have is weather and team score. If i'm right weather is comming but i can't confirm.
    05-18-11 02:58 PM
    TalkClock works real well (and has a nice female voice to wake you up that is programable to read whatever you want, including time and weather.) And it does have a "keep awake" option. It also has a free trial.
    It has all that you are looking for except sports score.
    05-18-11 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD