A curious thought struck me today: Would there be any value in being able to use your PlayBook as a mouse input device for your computer?

One use case is controlling a media center PC that is hooked up to your HDTV.

But I wonder whether it would be useful at all to lay it flat on your desk and be able to use it as you do a mouse pad on a laptop. Thoughts?

My secondary thought it to use it for gestures wrt controlling your PC. Perhaps it was the Dolphin browser that helped prompt this thought. Say you could lay your PlayBook down and set it up to recognize gestures to do various things on your PC. Kind of like hot keys, for ...

- Visiting favorite or common websites
    - Opening common files or folders
    - Controlling your volume
    - etc.

Maybe it would be fun to try that out...
    03-21-12 01:19 PM
    Check out CompRemote in app world. You can use the Playbook as a mouse and a keyboard when connected via wifi. Pretty slick app.
    danielbigham likes this.
    03-21-12 01:26 PM
    Or luko Remote, a great app that gives you keyboard (with additional buttons) and mouse access as well as a basic file browser (incl. favorite files and folders) and media buttons.
    03-21-12 01:39 PM
    lol...

"There's an app for that"

... strikes again.

Just downloaded it and am trying it out. Works pretty well!

I'm typing this response with it.

The PC app part of it is clunky, which would be nice to improve... and this is the mouse/keyboard part of the concept without the gesture ideas.

But very nice, thanks!
    03-21-12 01:43 PM
    Or luko Remote, a great app that gives you keyboard (with additional buttons) and mouse access as well as a basic file browser (incl. favorite files and folders) and media buttons.
    Looks like a neat app, so I purchased it.

Can't get it to connect. And oddly, there's no override place to enter your IP address.
    03-21-12 01:58 PM
    Strange. This might help you:
    luko Remote :: Support

Had no problem at all so far.
    03-21-12 02:08 PM
    Luko is very nice. However, you have to already be logged in for it to work. I usually use splashtop to log in initially, then Luko after it is logged in. Luko needs to find out how to have their app start when the log in screen comes up. then I can get rid of splashtop.
    03-21-12 02:21 PM
    Freemote control, especially if you want to use it with a media center PC. You can toggle between screens- one screen is a mouse pad, another is a keyboard with all the standard windows keys, and a third screen looks like a standard remote control with buttons to control windows media center.
    03-21-12 02:23 PM
    Strange. This might help you:
    luko Remote :: Support

Had no problem at all so far.
    Huh. I followed the instructions on that support site wrt setting the "Interface metric" to 2, restarted my computer, and it worked. Weird. What on earth is an interface metric?

I was connected to a VPN at the time, not sure if that might have been related.

Anyway, here are my impressions:

The mouse sensitivity on the luko remote seems to be significantly lower than it should be, which makes it a chore to move the mouse across the screen. Surely that is an extremely easy thing to fix, so I'm not sure why it would be set so low. Oh: There it is, found how to adjust that The negative there is that if you set the sensativity high, then it makes it hard to have fine grained control as you get close to something. I almost wonder whether there needs to be an exponential scale here so that as you move your finger quickly, the mouse moves quickly, but if you are moving the mouse extremely slowly, then you get full precision. Anyway, after finding that setting it works pretty well.

Having the file explorer is a nice addition, especially if you're using it as a remote for your HDTV.

Overall, pretty nice!
    03-21-12 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD