The app gap after 1 year is still a Huge obstacle for this and future playbook to succeed.
    Hangman and free solitaire are the top rated games apps in App world and free flashlight and the bible earn the top spot world.
    This is a disgrace to what the device is cable of.
    Maybe Alec Saunders can use the top app flashlight from appworld to find the app which seems to have gotten lost on their way to appworld.
    nazreil25 and EpicSoftworks like this.
    04-13-12 07:08 PM
    Well that was certainly helpful!
    SnoozerBold and KOOLWATER like this.
    04-13-12 08:01 PM
    Obligatory negative post about rim.*
    04-13-12 08:43 PM
    The app gap after 1 year is still a Huge obstacle for this and future playbook to succeed.
    Hangman and free solitaire are the top rated games apps in App world and free flashlight and the bible earn the top spot world.
    Maybe Alec Saunders can use the top app flashlight from appworld to find the app which seems to have gotten lost on their way to appworld.
    You need to look beyond the "top" free apps to find apps that exploit the power of the PlayBook. There are some good ones that you have to pay for. Are you calling my app a disgrace? I hate you!
    FF22, SCrid2000 and KOOLWATER like this.
    04-13-12 10:48 PM
    besides skype, netflix what are u looking for?

word with friends? angry birds? sketch with friends? modern combat 2? asphalt 6? deadspace? fruits and Ninja? soccer score board app? simple score keeper?

really id like to know id like to make some apps and get sent to orlando
    04-13-12 10:59 PM
    Well at the risk of being vilified as a troll...

The OP is right about the massive disparity in apps. I'm not in any way suggesting that there aren't any good apps available in Appworld, there are some fantastic ones (eg, What's Up, Solar Explorer, Splashtop, Scoremobile and e-manuel+). But there is nowhere near enough.

The Playbook is a superior tablet, and it is begging for apps.
    DAnklaud and darktoy like this.
    04-13-12 11:17 PM

The OP is right about the massive disparity in apps. I'm not in any way suggesting that there aren't any good apps available in Appworld, there are some fantastic ones (eg, What's Up, Solar Explorer, Splashtop, Scoremobile and e-manuel+). But there is nowhere near enough.

TROLL! (I won't waste time vilifying.) And you are DOWNUNDER (a bridge?) after all!

Glad you got in a positive on What's Up - Buzz needs the uppers!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-14-12 11:20 AM

I thank you for giving my app the thumbs up. But here's the thing: Why risk being vilified as a troll by damning App World with faint praise for a few apps that you happen to like? It's like someone starting a post that begins with the words "No offense but..." and then slags my app because its not as important as say, Kindle to RIM's success. I get this all the time and it's very discouraging.

I am lucky that I have had some success as a new App World vendor. But I would not be here if RIM did not give me the opportunity to do my thing. In my opinion, RIM is doing all of the right things to attract skilled developers to this device.

The OP is just plain wrong in his vile assessment of RIM's progress to date. So why give him your tacit support while he belittles our attempt to help RIM be on the winning side? Why not encourage us instead?
    hpjrt and KOOLWATER like this.
    04-14-12 12:12 PM

word with friends? angry birds? sketch with friends? modern combat 2? asphalt 6? deadspace? fruits and Ninja? soccer score board app? simple score keeper?

How about a real text editor that can take in pdf from Print to Go and convert to txt for editing? Or just a decent text editor that can read .txt files. Also, a universal clipboard for cutting and pasting across apps would be nice.

And to the earlier posters in this thread whose first response was to attack the OP: the idea that complaints are NOT useful or helpful implies that data is not useful. RIM had better be listening. Of course RIM must know the what of the OP, but does it get the intensity?
    04-14-12 12:47 PM
    To the OP: These PRETZELS... are making ME... thirsty.
    04-14-12 12:54 PM
    I read an article the other day in the Globe & Mail that this rant seems to be based on. Checking out the apps, like Flashlight, that are mentioned it seems that 'top rated' means that they have received the most user ratings. It doesn't surprise me that free apps that have been available from the start in app world have been rated more, and I don't see what bearing the number of ratings for one app has on the quality of others.
    I agree that the Playbook doesn't have the app support of the iPad, or even Android, and that seems unlikely to change. Many media outlets and companies have apps that are iPad exclusive and there are a lot of games and apps we won't get on the Playbook. There are a lot of great apps on the Playbook though and since the 2.0 update it seems that there are high quality apps coming out every day (my new favourite game Bumbee for instance).
    I don't think that the app gap will ever close, but in the 4 months I've owned a PB it has improved drastically. If we give PB developers our support and keep letting them know what we want I have no doubt that even though we won't have the same quantity of apps we'll have the ones we need to do the things we want to do.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-14-12 01:20 PM

And to the earlier posters in this thread whose first response was to attack the OP: the idea that complaints are NOT useful or helpful implies that data is not useful. RIM had better be listening. Of course RIM must know the what of the OP, but does it get the intensity?
    Give me a break! No one is disputing that there is a "app gap". But for crying out loud - there is a vast difference between constructive criticism and the feeble sarcasm and smart a$$ commentary that the OP proffered. His post was calculated to be flamed and he was rewarded for his effort.

Now it's your turn to be constructive. What can RIM do that they are not alreadiy doing that would help close the app gap? RIM is listening? Give them some practical advice or point to the "data" that you claim is in the OP's post.
    Barljo likes this.
    04-14-12 01:39 PM
    I did chuckle at the Alec/flashlight comment. Seriously though, I think that the top apps being what they are is actually a bit of a reflection of what tablets are used for: Games and casual entertainment. I've owned a lot of tablets (starting with the Nokia N770) and have always struggled to put a work-related use to them. My day job is on an enormous corporate campus with Wi-Fi available everywhere, and the most utility tablets get there is checking e-mail during a meeting.

That basically leaves us with recreational apps. I actually think the PlayBook is pretty well positioned here, if only it could get developer attention: Porting games from native C to the PlayBook appears to be quite simple. RIM just has to stick it out and keep working at solidifying 2nd place.
    04-14-12 03:55 PM
    Do you not look beyond the free apps you mentioned. of course there are a lot of silly and maybe even useless apps there, in my opinion, but someone else may like them..look further and you will find some very good and useful apps.. I do and I am very happy with looking thru appworld often just for the fun off it.. if you see one you don't like then don't download it just to complain and say its no good..blah blah blah..
    04-14-12 06:06 PM
    I thank you for giving my app the thumbs up. But here's the thing: Why risk being vilified as a troll by damning App World with faint praise for a few apps that you happen to like? It's like someone starting a post that begins with the words "No offense but..." and then slags my app because its not as important as say, Kindle to RIM's success. I get this all the time and it's very discouraging.

I am lucky that I have had some success as a new App World vendor. But I would not be here if RIM did not give me the opportunity to do my thing. In my opinion, RIM is doing all of the right things to attract skilled developers to this device.

The OP is just plain wrong in his vile assessment of RIM's progress to date. So why give him your tacit support while he belittles our attempt to help RIM be on the winning side? Why not encourage us instead?
    I thought I WAS encouraging you!

I did just say that your app is excellent. Not faint praise at all.

There's a pile of very good apps in Appworld. I'm not being critical of developers (well, not smaller ones who put in their time to actually give us some apps - like yourself).

I also didn't say I agreed with the tone of the OP's post. I'm just saying that wether its a comfortable truth or not, Appworld is lacking.

Don't make the mistake of thinking I don't want RIM or the Playbook to succeed, because I do. I've actually spent quite a bit of money in Appworld, to support apps that are well made. But I am disappointed that they are moving so slowly. The world will not wait.

I meant no slight to you Buzz.
    Last edited by sashlon; 04-14-12 at 08:39 PM.
    04-14-12 06:37 PM
    WOW I feel like a broken record around here sometimes. Devs do not yet have access to Cascades, which is the native UI framework for the Playbook and Blackberry 10. Until this point (which is presumably May 1st), we won't see any big name apps in the app store, because they won't want to develop with AIR or WebWorks. The big name games we've seen don't need a UI framework, because devs usually create game UIs for menus and stuff like that so that they look unique, or rely on game engines for the most part.

After Cascades is released, without a doubt we will see an infusion of apps able to take advantage of the Playbook's full technical capability. This is NOT the dev's fault in any way, it's RIM's fault for not getting Cascades out the door quick enough. However, there's a huge number of amazing apps in App World that have taken advantage of AIR and WebWorks, so it's pretty rude to say it's a disgrace in my opinion.

Anyways, there should be some awesome apps coming on or after May 1st, because I'm pretty sure there has been a limited beta of Cascades to some of the bigger name app companies. So who knows, we might be seeing a true Kindle or Skype app in App World sometime soon. Until then, support guys like Buzz who make awesome apps (What's Up) with the limited tools they have.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    04-14-12 07:08 PM
    Most of what I want is available in App World, I'd rather have a few amazing apps (such as Secure Browser, What's Up, Blaq, Files & Folders, to name a few) than the overwhelming plethera of bloated ad supported free apps available via Google Play.
    04-14-12 07:11 PM
    I thought I WAS encouraging you!

I did just say that your app is excellent. Not faint praise at all.

There's a pile of very good apps in Appworld. I'm not being critical of developers (well, not smaller ones who put in their time to actually give us some apps - like yourself).

I also didn't say I agreed with the tone of the OP's post. I'm just saying that wether its a comfortable truth or not, Appworld is lacking.

Don't make the mistake of thinking I don't want RIM or the Playbook to succeed, because I do. I've actually spent quite a bit of money in Appworld, to support apps that are well made. But I am disappointed that they are moving so slowly. The world will not wait.

I meant to slight to you Buzz.
    I will be the first to agree that AppWorld ifs found wanting and I don't think that I'm a Troll. It was not what you said that bothered me. I was how you chose to say it. I did not take your comment as an insult - I know that your praise was genuine and I do appreciate it. The OP's did mean to insult me though...

He thinks that app world is a disgrace because it has only craplications in stock. By doing so, he is blaming developers for the "app gap". To make matters worse, he Thinks that RIM is doing absolutely nothing to fix the problem. He jokes that Alec Saunders is floundering around in the dark. None of these things are remotely true. IMHO, beliving these things is "trollish".

Therefore it is important that we have an intelligent discussion about this. Clarity is important. Who is the "they" referred to in the highlighted text? Is is "RIM" or is it "developers"?

I think that if people think that RIM is moving too slowly to attract developers to the platform, they should make this clear. Otherwise people like myself will think that you are dissing developers. As I said before it is not what you said that bothered me, it was how you said it.
    hpjrt likes this.
    04-14-12 08:07 PM
    I will be the first to agree that AppWorld ifs found wanting and I don't think that I'm a Troll. It was not what you said that bothered me. I was how you chose to say it. I did not take your comment as an insult - I know that your praise was genuine and I do appreciate it. The OP's did mean to insult me though...

He thinks that app world is a disgrace because it has only craplications in stock. By doing so, he is blaming developers for the "app gap". To make matters worse, he Thinks that RIM is doing absolutely nothing to fix the problem. He jokes that Alec Saunders is floundering around in the dark. None of these things are remotely true. IMHO, beliving these things is "trollish".

Therefore it is important that we have an intelligent discussion about this. Clarity is important. Who is the "they" referred to in the highlighted text? Is is "RIM" or is it "developers"?

I think that if people think that RIM is moving too slowly to attract developers to the platform, they should make this clear. Otherwise people like myself will think that you are dissing developers. As I said before it is not what you said that bothered me, it was how you said it.
    Lol, the auto correct/predictive text on the playbook. Is scary/funny sometimes.

"I meant no slight to you" became "I meant to slight you" lol.

I'm glad you defined my actual meaning

"they " is referring to RIM. I find it hard to understand their reasoning sometimes. They announce things too soon, or incomplete. They seem almost to work in a counter-intuitive way at times.

It frustrates me because I love the device, and I'm afraid it's potential is going to. Go to waste, in my opinion if it had been marketed and supported properly the playbook. Would have given Apple a scare, and been the#2 tablet on the market in a flash.
    04-14-12 08:49 PM
    On the other hand, we have the best selection of repackaged public domain books by a single publisher of any tablet.
    04-14-12 09:31 PM
    It frustrates me because I love the device, and I'm afraid it's potential is going to. Go to waste, in my opinion if it had been marketed and supported properly the playbook. Would have given Apple a scare, and been the#2 tablet on the market in a flash.
    I meant you no malice.

Not to worry. I personally don't think there is any way that RIM could have given Apple a scare a year ago when PB was launched. Apple has has a "unified OS" for years even before iPhone and iPad.

RIM only started a few short months before launch with Tablet OS. QNX was good but I think that the engineers underestimated the effort involved in readying it for the production-grade tablet. They either had to go with what they had or delay launch indefinitely. It was wishful thinking more than anything else. Rather than trying to deceive us, I think they really thought that they could pull it off and get early updated out the door. The rest is history.

As a developer, I am amazed that so many apps were in App World at launch. It wasn't great (we all know that) but it has been improving every day since. Unless RIM announces that they have given up on PB, I will remain optimistic that they can fix the development environment. bb.pl says RIM is incompetent, and maybe they are. But there is now way that App World is as bad today as he would have us believe. No way.
    04-14-12 10:26 PM
    I have to say that he is partly right though. It is just plain stupid; on wich blackberry did change how the appworld looks; how the rating went down. I mean. The appworld has great apps and games that just don't make it to the spotlight. Just take an example by the videos i make on Youtube. They have all been made before the apps or games made it into the spotlight.

Just saying. Not hating on RIM at all or the Playbook for that matter because i use it every single day and A LOT! Streaming, HD Playback, Gaming, Presentation; It does it all! So smooth aswell!
    04-15-12 10:22 AM
    Lets ignore those who don't build for playbook ( skype, netflix )- as these has been beaten to death.

For starters you can start with the below links ( developers who already built for playbook). Even less than half of what is available on other platforms would be more than enough.
    But the lack of app and the app gap is pathetic.

UNITY: Game List
    Mobile Games - Top iPhone Games, Android Games, Java Games for Cell Phones | Gameloft
    All Games - Electronic Arts - EA

And as for the specific ones you mentioned:

angry birds? --yea angry birds space which we saw a glimpse of would be nice by right about now.

fruits and ninja-- yea fruit ninja and not a knockoff fruits and ninja would be nice

soccer score board app? simple score keeper? -- yea something realted to soccer like an actual game like Fifa 12, heck even Fifa 11 ( that is better than the gameloft version of soccer with nintendo like grapics from the 80's would be better )

Not sure if you own any other platform but these lack of apps and this fan boi support to even think that there are plenty of apps or a front page post to WAIT for cascades excuse won't do good for the playbook.

As I said in the original post "This is a disgrace to what the playbook is capable of".
    04-16-12 09:07 AM
    As I said in the original post "This is a disgrace to what the playbook is capable of".
    Yes, it is. What is missing from your OP is any reasonable suggestion of what Alec Saunders can do about this very real problem (beyond what he is already doing). Keep in mind that RIM cannot code these apps unilaterally as some people would like - if the developers don't see a realistic possibility of selling a lot of units, they will not submit their apps to App World. To them it's simple economics - not some altruistic desice to do the right thing for consumers.

Why are the developers that you list staying away from the platform? If it's not lack of development tools (Cascades included), then what is it? How would you suggest that Alec proceed? How can he make the app gap disappear overnight in the way that you are demanding?
    04-16-12 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD