if cascades is amazing and successful will rim raise the price on playbooks after launch? I'm asking because I might give my 16gb one to my daughter and get myself a 32gb.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    I don't really see the current PlayBooks rise in price because there will be a newer one coming out soon.
    04-16-12 05:23 PM
    I hear you and I'm not complaining. I'm just saying, for example, the apps you listed are great for you, but since the PB doesn't have 10 different apps that simulate arm pit noises, it'll never be good enough, hence the "millions of apps".
    LOL! We have more great advertising!

The BlackBerry PlayBook! Loaded with functionality.

You want apps? What? A Broswer's not good enough for you? Okay all you have to do is download a program to your pc, put your tablet in development mode and follow the instructions to sideload some android apps. Maybe. And if you want the Huffington Post app, sure we give it to you. Okay, it doesn't work, but we give you the icon. You want the New York Times, Bank of America, The Wall Street Journal...oh, what next? 10 different apps that simulate arm pit noises?

But I did enjoy your example. Very vivid.
    04-16-12 05:35 PM
    Then why the are you on a BlackBerry site troll?
    Mods, why can't you ban fools like this?
    Because other fools quote them and make it too much work to clean up, instead of not feeding the troll. Besides, site policy gives a warning or two before banning for junior trolls who have been members for more than a week or two.
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    04-16-12 06:14 PM
    Because other fools quote them and make it too much work to clean up, instead of not feeding the troll. Besides, site policy gives a warning or two before banning for junior trolls who have been members for more than a week or two.
    Point well taken, although I would still like to request that some of the more frequent RIM haters be curtailed in some way.
    middbrew and peter9477 like this.
    04-16-12 07:46 PM
    So it was 2.0 to wait for now it's cascades. When cascades comes out it will be something else. It's always something else with rim
    barskin, Magnesus and purijagmohan like this.
    04-16-12 09:00 PM
    Windows Phone doesn't have Native SDK available yet and BB10 does have it in some form already.

Windows Phone doesn't have most high end games that playbook has like Dead space etc.. and I am confident that we will see Angry Birds Space first on Playbook than a Windows Phone. IMO in general the app situation on windows phone is worse than the playbook.

My point is developing for BB10 is a breeze compared to Windows Phone which requires you to develop in C# where as BB10 offers you plethora of options to develop for.
    To tell you the truth, developing in C# trumps any of this other stuff
    04-16-12 09:02 PM
    Everyone likes to complain about the app situation on the Playbook. I find there are tons of useful free apps and plenty of amazing pay apps. Sure a few "popular" ones are missing, but not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the Playbook. And there are plenty of work-arounds in the meantime.

For example, you could play Angry Birds on Playbook OS 1.0 from day-one by downloading the flash version from a website (fairly easy to find the code link to the SWF file) and just loading locally in the browser. Kindle cloud reader works well. Hulu and Netflix possible to sideload (although you can just access websites and use a proxy if you are outside the USA).

So whether these native apps come soon or not, I still pick up my playbook every day for something useful. And at $199 for this tablet, it has far surpassed my expectations.

Anyone who constantly complains of apps should take a look more at the app world and spend time in there, or ask people in the forums. There are lots of good ones for free and yes we know RIM is playing catch-up here, but there are plenty already and growing!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    I sure would like to know how you got the Kindle cloud reader to work. It looks ok when the reader loads, but all I get when I select one of my books is: Error Opening Content. This is on a 64 Gig 2.0 PlayBook.
    04-16-12 09:48 PM
    So it was 2.0 to wait for now it's cascades. When cascades comes out it will be something else. It's always something else with rim
    Oh, no. No, no, no. It's "apps don't matter." Or "all you need is a browser." Android apps are "just fart apps." Then,"wait until OS 2.0! We�ll be getting Android apps!" Then it was "just download this and that to your pc, then go into developer mode, blah, blah, sideload!" The, wait,� it�s apps don't matter � again. Now it's Cascades, and � this is going to bring us more apps,� and the people touting that are still criticizing those of us who want to see more apps. I�m getting dizzy.
    04-16-12 10:05 PM
    Enough already! Let's wait.
    Fixed for accuracy. Haha we could make this RIM's new ad slogan! Instead of "tools, not toys" we could start pumping out ads like, "BlackBerry playbook: let's wait"

Just teasing, easy guys
    04-16-12 10:19 PM
    If RIM cannot deliver, then you will see more that kind posts,so take care,my friend
    Try being a WEBOS fan
    04-17-12 06:34 AM
    Devs will be able to insert beautiful 3D elements into their apps quickly and easily, making coding time dramatically reduced, yet make apps on the Blackberry 10 platform look 10x better than they look on iOS or Android.

I still have not seen any evidence of how Cascades will make apps 10x better than their iOS or Android counterpart. From the overall information in this thread, it sounds like Cascades will bring the tools closer to their competition, which is great.

Just not sure why the OP decided to raise the bar and claim 10x better looking apps on Blackberry 10.
    Last edited by brucep1; 04-17-12 at 07:11 AM.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    04-17-12 07:07 AM
    You fail at reading comprehension. In the context of the discussion we were having (which you either didn't read, or didn't understand), driving is an analogy for having the top-tier apps mentioned by the OP.
    But the PlayBook doesn't NEED those apps to be usable and enjoyable. The last part of your app made it sound like you were saying the collective agreement was that the PlayBook is unusable without those apps and that is simply false.
    04-17-12 12:17 PM
    I still have not seen any evidence of how Cascades will make apps 10x better than their iOS or Android counterpart. From the overall information in this thread, it sounds like Cascades will bring the tools closer to their competition, which is great.

Just not sure why the OP decided to raise the bar and claim 10x better looking apps on Blackberry 10.
    Because hyperbole is the name of the game. It fits in with "BB10 will ruin the opposition" and "the PB will be the best tablet when xyz drops."
    purijagmohan likes this.
    04-17-12 12:44 PM
    Gee, I feel all warm and fuzzy with all these good vibes - unfortunately for RIM, its too little, way too late. My business is a BB shop with BES and mobile devices, but I expect to be an Apple shop for mobile devices within the year. We need things that work now, not a year or more after they get announced. I have been hearing for far too long about the wonderful TAT and all the great things we were going to see - now we wait for another possible announcement? Please, enough is enough.
    Darlaten and purijagmohan like this.
    04-17-12 02:34 PM
    I picked one of about a dozen posts saying about the same thing.

All of you agreeing with the quote above should consider that this technology is moving forward all the time. There will ALWAYS be the promise of the next great thing around the corner. RIM (and everyone else) never stops working on our future products.

If you are tired of always waiting for the something else that's just ahead, I have a suggestion: stop reading forums that are always providing hints of what's coming soon and JUST ENJOY what you have now.
    04-17-12 07:50 PM

All of you agreeing with the quote above should consider that this technology is moving forward all the time. There will ALWAYS be the promise of the next great thing around the corner. RIM (and everyone else) never stops working on our future products.

If you are tired of always waiting for the something else that's just ahead, I have a suggestion: stop reading forums that are always providing hints of what's coming soon and JUST ENJOY what you have now.
    THIS, in bold. I fullyy agree. I enjoy what I have. I am glad what I have. I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have it. I would be another uninformed individual if I didn't.
    04-17-12 07:58 PM
    Loved reading this post, always calms me down after ready (another) disgruntled post about someone being unhappy with a gaming announcement (for instance ;-)). However my question is to biggulpseh regarding the native apps that are being rebuilt and redesigned around cascades. I love the idea of this but it's the first I've heard of it! Has it been mentioned by RIM elsewhere? I'd love to know more about these native apps getting a Cascades overhaul!
    04-25-12 07:57 AM
    Loved reading this post, always calms me down after ready (another) disgruntled post about someone being unhappy with a gaming announcement (for instance ;-)). However my question is to biggulpseh regarding the native apps that are being rebuilt and redesigned around cascades. I love the idea of this but it's the first I've heard of it! Has it been mentioned by RIM elsewhere? I'd love to know more about these native apps getting a Cascades overhaul!

So would i, i think its another load of hyped up sh*te by Crackberry users, RIM havent mentioned anything, and ffs they raved for days about a bloody game, this just tells me that the playbook is and always be what it is *half arsed and only anygood if you own a blackberry phone to Bridge it with*

at least i can watch films on it so its not a complete waste of space.
    04-25-12 06:49 PM
    so what are we actually waiting for, as far as apps is concerned? QNX update?, BB10?TAT? cascades? what? i don't understand, not even a bloomberg news apps is ready.
    04-25-12 09:43 PM
    I'm waiting for them to man up and do the following:

- Have a decent unified framework (so that the developers wouldn't really need to create the whole tablet-profile UI into its tiniest detail of their own), Cascade's a good start

- Provide opportunities for Stage 3D to grow on the platform

- Have a decent DRM and Content protection method (which is what Netflix requires them, Flash Access is one of the best options as of the moment)

- And have the money to fund all of the initiatives above as well.

So unless the OS matures further, large group of major apps giving the Playbook platform a try is highly unlikely to happen.
    Last edited by peter_betos; 04-26-12 at 12:02 AM.
    04-25-12 11:50 PM

I think we all know that. That's not the issue though. The issue is that RIM never delivers anything remotely on time - or at all - and that we are still waiting for "the stuff of the future" from 2009, 2010, and 2011, to actually arrive.

The result, well, just look at what people are saying on these forums and elsewhere: some small businesses have indicated that they can not (and should not) continue to wait while the world of technology passes them by with the only response from RIM being that it's coming soon; on the consumer side, you see people, some of which have grown up only using RIM products, grow so tired of seeing what can be done on every other platform except a RIM product that they have made a choice to move on. Again, why should they wait?

Not even Job would have the patience to wait for RIM to deliver. <-- Bible character reference for those who dont know.
    barskin likes this.
    04-26-12 12:58 AM
    Cascades will not bring the developers. Developers will start spending their resources on building apps for the RIM world once BB10 phones have enough market penetration to make it worth their while to develop to the platform. I'm thinking about 12 months after the launch of the first BB10 phones. I've said this before, and I'll repeat it now. There's no one RIM OS out currently with enough market share to make it worth developing to, and even if there were, the knowledge that all current OSes are soon going the way of the dodo makes them dead to developers. But Cascades plus BB10 penetration equals an attractive proposition for dev's.
    And RIM loves to tell how they have 77 million subs and growing.They never tell u how many of those 77 millions are low end curve devices.

How many of 11 million units they sold last quarter were curve units? Answer:Majoity

So How many high end BB10 devices they will sell? Answer : Not too many.

CEO knows it, hence looking for partnership.

RIM is screwed, I am neither a fanboy or a RIM basher.I would love RIM to destroy Apple and Android.But if wishes were horses ...
    04-26-12 01:03 AM
    Since the OP was very clear that the problem a year ago was that the NDK API wasn't released to developers a year ago, I have to wonder... Has this TAT/Cascades API been released to all the developers? Skype, Netflix, Kindle, Draw Something, Instagram developers?

Or, are we waiting for BlackBerry World/Jam to hear about when this API will supposedly be released? Sometime... later.
    04-26-12 02:42 AM
    ...and another thing:

As far as I can tell, I don't have any TAT/Cascades capabilities on my current PlayBook. Does that mean that after the API is eventually released, that end-users will still have to wait for another major OS upgrade to actually use apps developed with it?
    04-26-12 02:48 AM
    One of the most informative posts on CB.

Btw rim certainly for sure needs a PRO like OP.
    04-26-12 04:06 AM
312 ... 910111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD