Give me kindle. That is all I need. And no, not the android sideload. Been there, done that and will NEVER do it again, or any other android garbage for that matter. My PlayBook is my temple......
    darktoy likes this.
    04-16-12 06:35 AM
    Are these world wide marketshare values? I added the blackberry values, but what about the other ranges of smart/Feature/phone OS's?
    the last number i saw was BlackBerry at 13%
    04-16-12 06:40 AM
    the last number i saw was BlackBerry at 13%
    World wide, that ain't bad. In the places that are mostly blackberry, wouldn't that be higher? Maybe at 30% do you know what year that data was collected and made public?
    04-16-12 06:42 AM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Okay, so I'm reading far too many posts on here from novice BlackBerry fans who are fed up with the lack of apps on their PlayBook. Don't worry, I share in your frustration. Just please read this post before making another thread how upset you are, so maybe you'll understand the situation is about to VASTLY improve for the better.

When the PlayBook was first released almost exactly a year ago, developers had 2 options for making apps on the platform: Adobe AIR and WebWorks (html5). In their first iterations, the Software Development Kits (SDKs, used to assemble the code and app) which were released for both of these coding platforms were missing a number of important Application Programming Interfaces (APIs, allow use of different parts of the hardware and OS) necessary to build great apps. Furthermore, as platforms, AIR and WebWorks don't allow for full utilization of the hardware.

What the PlayBook was missing was a Native SDK (NDK) for building apps in in C/C++, which allows for the most high-performing apps on the platform, able to utilize all APIs available. A few big name devs like EA were allowed to use it to build games such as Need for Speed and Tetris. It has been subsequently released for all devs, and games like Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies utilize the NDK. However, the NDK still does not have a Native UI Framework.

A Native UI Framework is basically a way for devs to be able to insert different UI elements into their app simply and easily. The textbox I'm typing into right now? All the dev has to do is type the code to insert a textbox into their app, set the size etc. and voila; textbox in their app. Button I'm going to press to submit this post? As easy as putting the word 'button' into their code and going from there. Unfortunately, this is currently unavailable for Native devs. For games, most devs create their own simple UI elements for menus and stuff like that to match the style of the game, so they don't need OS-wide UI elements. However, imagine making an app like a Twitter app with tons of buttons and scroll bars and everything and having to code and design that all yourself. It's almost impossible. So devs have so far had to rely on AIR and WebWorks for their UI Frameworks, and as such, the NDK for regular apps has not been used as of yet.

But there is hope in the form of a UI framework called Cascades. Cascades was brought in by RIM's acquisition of a company called The Astonishing Tribe (TAT), and without question, is going to be BEAUTIFUL. Search for videos on YouTube with TAT and you will be blown away. These guys are at the top of the mobile UI game, and apps utilizing TAT in the future are going to be incredible. Devs will be able to insert beautiful 3D elements into their apps quickly and easily, making coding time dramatically reduced, yet make apps on the Blackberry 10 platform look 10x better than they look on iOS or Android.

Wondering why apps like Netflix and Skype and Kindle aren't on the platform yet? No Cascades yet. Trust me, those companies aren't going to invest tens of thousands of dollars into AIR or WebWorks development for the PlayBook when they can just wait for Cascades which will look way better anyways. After Cascades is released (hopefully around BlackBerry World), we're going to see an influx of amazing apps hitting the platform.

Furthermore, all the core apps such as the Adobe Reader, Music, Browser, etc are all being re-engineered using the NDK and Cascades. This is HUGE and I can't even begin to describe how awesome it will be to be able to have all apps made with this beautiful UI framework. Imagine BBM with 3D transitions and your contact list with beautiful transitions and 3D effects. I honestly cannot even begin to describe how awesome the BB10 platform is going to be, which is also coming to the PlayBook of course.

Now don't get me wrong, using AIR and WebWorks, devs have been able to make some AWESOME apps (Blaq and What's Up for example), but I'm assuming at some point down the road these devs will make the transition from AIR to Cascades in order to utilize the full power of the platform. What I'm learning from different sources is that RIM is going to do their best to make this transition as easy as possible, and for events like the BlackBerry 10 Jam they've even brought in designers to show devs how fantastic their apps could look if they were re-engineered using Cascades.

So if I can say anything to PlayBook owners and BlackBerry fans, it's please just have patience for the release of Cascades and the new SDKs and you will be glad you did. They're trying to understate it, but this is the biggest thing to happen to BlackBerry since I can even remember. It's going to be huge. So keep your eyes peeled for the events of BlackBerry World and the Blackberry 10 Jam on May 1st and I'm sure you won't be let down.
    thanks.. can't wait for this!!!!
    04-16-12 07:02 AM
    It is rather refreshing to wake up this morning (seeing the family and friends in good health) having my coffee and reading a great informative post. 3-days will make a year since I have my PB and I am still loving it. Great improvements since then and it is only going to get better! Thank you for the great read!!
    04-16-12 07:28 AM
    Good explanation. To put this in context my Secure Browser took about 7500 lines of code for GUI alone, and my GUI is 10x easier to make than the NDK interface would be.

Well said. Also no uniform ui is why the apps all look so different and scrambled
    DAnklaud likes this.
    04-16-12 07:37 AM
    I am not new to this nor am I not educated or dumb (on most things)
    I dont blame the Devs either.

I blame RIM, period.

I have had the PB for almost a year and am REAL tired of the "gee its coming soon" crap.

Put up or shut up RIM.

(PS, good read though and I have sent email after email to RIM)

But when and if Cascades are released and there are still no apps what excuse will folks use then?

Tim
    balding1 and Gouk like this.
    04-16-12 07:45 AM
    I'm pretty happy with my PB as it is. I done a lot of research before I bought one, a 16GB, and this morning I ordered a 64GB, wife gets the 16.

I'm betting on RIM with the rest of you and it is already better...we won't go into all that. I got an email this morning for a Kindle Fire for $199 and that is 8GB.

I seen a Nook reader for $99 and a 16GB PB can be had for under $150, just got one for a friend.

Subtotal: $247.99
    Shipping: $12.99
    Discounts: ($24.80)
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Total Charged: $236.18

That is my 64GB this morning. The discount came from a promo code. That is open box, original manufacturer condition, like new with the 1 year warranty.

You just can't beat that deal. If you read, for example...the browser won't let you rename bookmarks...but, they tweaked it forever for compatibility and will address comforts (features) soon.

I had not heard about TAT until now. Don't know how I missed it.

But that is smokin' cool. Everyone will want one and there won't be any left. Only 7 of the 64's available right now and the 32's are sold out and a few more 16's.

Thanks for the information. I know a few people who are going to wish they've listened to me.
    04-16-12 07:52 AM

But when and if Cascades are released and there are still no apps what excuse will folks use then?

Tim
    Well there's always going to be that old standby, the conspiracy explanation.
    04-16-12 07:53 AM

I have had the PB for almost a year and am REAL tired of the "gee its coming soon" crap.

Tim
    "Coming soon" is last years saying.
    This year it's "right around the corner"
    Can't wait for May 1 then it should be clear sailing for RIM to the promise land.
    04-16-12 07:56 AM
    This post is great, but does expose my reason for loosing pataince with RIM. there is always light at the end of the tunnel, wait till...., now we are gonna have ___ but its not ready yet, we are actually ahead of the compitition, just got to work the bugs out....
    guess I am tired of waiting, not ready to jump ship and sell stock, but come on already
    04-16-12 08:06 AM

I blame RIM, period

Tim
    By then the PB's hardware won't be able to support the new which will be memory extensive apps hence we have to wait for the 2nd gen Pb. EOL.LOL.
    04-16-12 08:08 AM
    As excited as I am about Cascades, my concern is the "other guys" (Android & iOS) aren't waiting around either. As impressive as it looks, will Cascades be leaps & bounds ahead of what is out there?? ....not to mention an iPhone 5 on the horizon (presumably with a new iOS), and also keep in mind by the time we actually see Cascades take shape in apps, it will be months down the line AFTER it launches. Considering we're still hoping for its launch on May 1st...what if it isn't readily available to devs for a while after that?
    Sorry....just a frustrated crackberry fan venting.
    04-16-12 08:52 AM
    I believe in the BBX / Cascades approach, which is why I recently invested in RIM.

When this hits, I truly believe even the most cynical critics will have to give props to RIM and the BBX team and to a certain extent, Jim & Mike's "persistence of vision".

Vindication. It feels.... good.
    04-16-12 08:54 AM

I blame RIM, period.

Put up or shut up RIM.

(PS, good read though and I have sent email after email to RIM)

Tim
    This is my issue to an extent as well. I love the hardware on my pb. I got it right when os2 came out though. You people who had one running os1 saw a huge update and improvement when os2 came out. In the time I have owned mine, things have been pretty stagnant. Especially on the apps front.
    04-16-12 08:55 AM
    The app selection for the PB is putrid and I don't see how an improved development engine is going to get the major players (netflix, comcast, sling, skype, HBO, direcTV etc..) to jump in the pool.
    04-16-12 08:58 AM
    Hopefully, what you have said is actually going to happen. The problem is that we have heard this "it's coming soon" business since the first BB Storm. It is always the same. I like my playbook. I also got it at a steal because they were inferior. If I had paid full price for it a year ago I am sure that I would be a lot more like some of the testier responses that have posted here. Rim's image is that of a turd circling the drain. Hopefully this cascade stuff will correct that.
    04-16-12 09:01 AM
    The app selection for the PB is putrid and I don't see how an improved development engine is going to get the major players (netflix, comcast, sling, skype, HBO, direcTV etc..) to jump in the pool.
    First it will be easier and faster to develop an app and it will drive sales with all its nifty capabilities which in turn will attract developers.
    04-16-12 09:02 AM
    I got it right when os2 came out though. You people who had one running os1 saw a huge update and improvement when os2 came out. In the time I have owned mine, things have been pretty stagnant.
    Yeah, we spent three times what you did and waited 10 months for the "huge improvement." Let me know when you hit the 10 month mark.
    04-16-12 09:04 AM
    Not buying any of this. RIMs effort at this point should be creating partnerships with Microsoft or Google for a new OS. RIM has no execution and I bet this new engine will be delayed for another year. I hope RIM dies.
    04-16-12 09:28 AM
    All well and great..

But really i've had this tablet for exactly a year so i believe i have been extremely patient with the very very slow update cycle. A year later and no UI framework for devs to build apps? ARE YOU ****ing kidding me? Brutal.

Too bad i love my playbook too much to even pick up my ipad anymore lol.
    04-16-12 09:36 AM
    Shame you're not going, I'd buy ya a beer.

BUT, I am sure they'll release cascades and dev kits during the conference, because they want to get those kid devs excited too, those university grads who have no money and a lot of passion, the next Angry Birds, or instagram, those Devs need the tools.
    I'm with you on this one. I'm sure they will release it at the same time. Than all it will take is one or two great apps and everyone will be wanting the PB.
    04-16-12 10:04 AM
    I also wonder if a few devs are waiting not only for Cascade, but for an upgrade to the OS that will prohibit people from sideloading the android apps.

This is just me thinking out load.
    04-16-12 10:06 AM
    Now that is the kind of posts I look forward to seeing. Optimistic, informative and unbiased. Thanks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Best informed post since I joined 1 month ago. Thanks.

I'll stick around for BB10. We have 2 phones to upgrade this fall.
    biggulpseh likes this.
    04-16-12 10:16 AM
    I also wonder if a few devs are waiting not only for Cascade, but for an upgrade to the OS that will prohibit people from sideloading the android apps.

This is just me thinking out load.
    I doubt it, sideloading is far easier on Android and piracy is rampant, but people still develop for it.
    04-16-12 10:19 AM
312 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD