They need to deliver, not talk about delivering. They've done that to death....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    dejanh and barskin like this.
    04-16-12 03:19 AM
    Dude, this is just you imagining that you are endowed with a shield and a sword to slay a dragon.

Chill out, it's just an IT provider, and we just want the damn updates.
    Hahaha...as a matter of fact, I slayed three of those bast@rds with my PB last week....got a little blood on it, but cleaned up nice.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-16-12 03:26 AM
    They need to deliver, not talk about delivering. They've done that to death....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    I agree, but I think they have so far delivered what they safely can, without compromising the security of the product.

I don't know what happens behind the scenes, and the backdoor deals, but I can imagine that there is some level of integrity maintained by RIM in the exploitation of their security in the BB products.

I'm willing to be a bit more patient...instant gratification isn't necessarily a major priority here...I'm a long-term kinda guy.
    04-16-12 03:29 AM
    I agree, but I think they have so far delivered what they safely can, without compromising the security of the product.

I don't know what happens behind the scenes, and the backdoor deals, but I can imagine that there is some level of integrity maintained by RIM in the exploitation of their security in the BB products.

I'm willing to be a bit more patient...instant gratification isn't necessarily a major priority here...I'm a long-term kinda guy.
    I'm also a long term-er. Heck, I equally share the use of a netbook, 2005 tablet pc and a desktop between my playbook. Since I'm not much for apps, it's there when I need it, and it rocks.
    04-16-12 03:33 AM

To be honest the whole security argument is very tired. The PB has no inroad anywhere so the security mantra seems kinda pointless, but that is just my opinion. I can definitely see the challenge with making the platform secure. As for "long term", I am not certain that these are long-term devices we are talking about here. It seems that by the time RIM makes the PB function the device will be obsolete.
    04-16-12 03:35 AM
    I'm also a long term-er. Heck, I equally share the use of a netbook, 2005 tablet pc and a desktop between my playbook. Since I'm not much for apps, it's there when I need it, and it rocks.
    And I agree with you completely....clearly, there is no one tablet or device that will do EVERYTHING.....and maybe there shouldn't be.....I use everything as need to as well....laptop, media player, netbook, tablet, and phone.

04-16-12 03:36 AM
    To be honest the whole security argument is very tired. The PB has no inroad anywhere so the security mantra seems kinda pointless, but that is just my opinion. I can definitely see the challenge with making the platform secure. As for "long term", I am not certain that these are long-term devices we are talking about here. It seems that by the time RIM makes the PB function the device will be obsolete.
    Well, respectfully...the security issue for me is not tired, because we all are fully aware of what happens to our OS and our data on our computers when we get hacked, viruses, and malware...or our personal information is shared. I have to disagree with you there, since my messages, passwords, and personal information is paramount to me.

As for long term, I am not talking 10 years or anything even close...we all know how fast technology changes...tech companies would be few and far in between if that were the case...but at least our "required" upgrades shouldn't cost us a fortune.

So far, the PB provides the best bang for the buck, in my opinion, for the somewhat short long-term....lol
    04-16-12 03:41 AM
    if i can open (bridge) my messages from the phone to playbook, wouldn't it be possible to open/mirror my apps (say a bloomberg news) on the playbook?
    well..maybe we just have to wait for the 3G/4G playbook, see what's new in it, and whether it does bring more apps.
    04-16-12 03:46 AM
    Well, respectfully...the security issue for me is not tired, because we all are fully aware of what happens to our OS and our data on our computers when we get hacked, viruses, and malware...or our personal information is shared. I have to disagree with you there, since my messages, passwords, and personal information is paramount to me.

As for long term, I am not talking 10 years or anything even close...we all know how fast technology changes...tech companies would be few and far in between if that were the case...but at least our "required" upgrades shouldn't cost us a fortune.

So far, the PB provides the best bang for the buck, in my opinion, for the somewhat short long-term....lol
    I am not saying that security is not important. I am saying that using security as a scapegoat for lack of content on a device that has virtually no market penetration is pathetic at best. The past two years for RIM have been nothing short of excuse after excuse, with empty promises sprinkled in-between. I love RIM, but this is a fact.
    04-16-12 03:49 AM
    if i can open (bridge) my messages from the phone to playbook, wouldn't it be possible to open/mirror my apps (say a bloomberg news) on the playbook?
    well..maybe we just have to wait for the 3G/4G playbook, see what's new in it, and whether it does bring more apps.
    Not sure....maybe the fact that it all goes through the BB server has something to do with it.
    04-16-12 03:50 AM
    I am not saying that security is not important. I am saying that using security as a scapegoat for lack of content on a device that has virtually no market penetration is pathetic at best. The past two years for RIM have been nothing short of excuse after excuse, with empty promises sprinkled in-between. I love RIM, but this is a fact.
    I hear you...but I don't see it as a scapegoat. I think WE see it as a scapegoat or excuse, because it doesn't give us what we instantaneously want.

I don't think RIM is making excuses at this point...I think (respectfully) that most of us don't think about the issues of security, for one....and this is something that RIM built a worldwide reputation upon....we all want instant gratification, and the cost of that sometimes doesn't register for us. I am the first to say and admit that I want it all...RIGHT NOW...but, I am looking ahead to what RIM has not only done, but what is CAPABLE of...and they have the funds to pull it off.

I think, at the end of the day...we will all be pleasantly surprised.....except for the trolls, that is...
    pungster likes this.
    04-16-12 03:55 AM
    There is another thread linked in the crackberry Blogs, I'll also link to it. http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7319746

I guess I linked to this thread. Lol *round-about-link*
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 04-16-12 at 04:11 AM.
    04-16-12 03:59 AM
    I do like Cascades... and like the "Rhythm of the Rain", our PlayBook will wash away those other OS once it is released and implemented... it will "Shy Away" not only little girl but even big girls... I'm sure "There's a Reason" for all these delays that RIM is experiencing right now or even the right timing for its release... but I still have faith in RIM that somehow, I knew they have an "Angel On Shoulder" to be on top again... it must be "Dreamin'" – yes, but that's the starting point to be the "Lucky Guy"... "Was I Dreamin'?", we keep asking ourselves, but hey, "Let Me Be" the one to say that this Cascades will be the "Punch & Judy" show of RIM... hopefully, this will not be "The Last Leaf" in RIM's bough...

P.S. To iOS and Android, I don't "Wanna Be Your Lover"...
    Creaulx likes this.
    04-16-12 04:00 AM
    I do like Cascades... and like the "Rhythm of the Rain", our PlayBook will wash away those other OS once it is released and implemented... it will "Shy Away" not only little girl but even big girls... I'm sure "There's a Reason" for all these delays that RIM is experiencing right now or even the right timing for its release... but I still have faith in RIM that somehow, I knew they have an "Angel On Shoulder" to be on top again... it must be "Dreamin'" � yes, but that's the starting point to be the "Lucky Guy"... "Was I Dreamin'?", we keep asking ourselves, but hey, "Let Me Be" the one to say that this Cascades will be the "Punch & Judy" show of RIM... hopefully, this will not be "The Last Leaf" in RIM's bough...

P.S. To iOS and Android, I don't "Wanna Be Your Lover"...
    Hahahahahahahahaha....nice!
    04-16-12 04:02 AM
    cautiously optimistic.
    04-16-12 04:17 AM
    Finally!! Cascades is finally arriving and it's time for PlayBook to fight back! Longing to see a few of cool apps showcasing on May 1 as starter.
    04-16-12 04:21 AM
    from what I gather the ANE only allow pseudo-threading? I.e. Not all actions... Or am I way off base with that?
    AIR native extensions allow you to do whatever you want, but communication with the UI layer from threads goes via the messaging/eventing system. This will probably be no different with Cascades, from what I can tell. But who knows...
    04-16-12 04:26 AM
    Get an Free Idea Organizer app
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...98225/?lang=en

Its limited time....
    Dont forget to leave a review....
    Perhaps, it'd be better to post in the apps section.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-16-12 at 05:02 AM.
    04-16-12 04:53 AM
    Perhaps, it'd be better to post in the apps section.
    I agree.
    20 char.
    04-16-12 04:56 AM
    You are assuming that developers will jump right onto Cascades (yet another UI framework...).

I doubt it. Unless RIM execution is perfect, and it never is, Cascades will fail just like everything else RIM development team has touched.
    04-16-12 05:20 AM
    @johnsmith007 You've got to look at the bright side of things. RIM isn't failing.
    04-16-12 05:28 AM
    Pie in the sky

Android is at 50% with momentum
    iOS is at 30% with momentum

BlackBerry and Windows now have to battle for the Scraps and of the these two Windows has the momentum
    04-16-12 06:25 AM
    I would mention that RIM is developing Cascades over the Qt framework. From the Wikipedia entry on Qt:

Qt is a cross-platform application framework that is widely used for developing application software with a graphical user interface (GUI) (in which cases Qt is classified as a widget toolkit), and also used for developing non-GUI programs such as command-line tools and consoles for servers. Qt is most notably used in Autodesk Maya,The Foundry's Nuke, Adobe Photoshop Elements, OPIE, Skype, VLC media player, VirtualBox, and Mathematica, and by the European Space Agency, DreamWorks, Google, HP, KDE, Lucasfilm, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Siemens, Volvo, Walt Disney Animation Studios and Research In Motion.
    | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(framework)

This must be a huge job. I wonder if RIM planned on this from when it acquired TAT or if there was a change in course? In any case, there should be real advantages in using a stable open source framework like Qt.

| TAT Cascades Framework | Nerd Web Blog
    | BlackBerry PlayBook OS joins Qt open source project in bid to lure disgruntled Nokia developers | The Verge
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7112782
    | QNX - QtProject
    04-16-12 06:29 AM
    Are these world wide marketshare values? I added the blackberry values, but what about the other ranges of smart/Feature/phone OS's?

Pie in the sky

Android is at 50% with momentum
    iOS is at 30% with momentum
    BlackBerry is at 20% (sorry, had to add this)

BlackBerry and Windows now have to battle for the Scraps and of the these two Windows has the momentum
    mundo472 likes this.
    04-16-12 06:29 AM
    Interesting to the max! Now I would love for an app to be made to switch the window manager for the playbook to the qnx default, or to another one that's included.

Can't wait to see QT or more of it, in action.

I would mention that RIM is developing Cascades over the Qt framework. From the Wikipedia entry on Qt:

Qt is a cross-platform application framework that is widely used for developing application software with a graphical user interface (GUI) (in which cases Qt is classified as a widget toolkit), and also used for developing non-GUI programs such as command-line tools and consoles for servers. Qt is most notably used in Autodesk Maya,The Foundry's Nuke, Adobe Photoshop Elements, OPIE, Skype, VLC media player, VirtualBox, and Mathematica, and by the European Space Agency, DreamWorks, Google, HP, KDE, Lucasfilm, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Siemens, Volvo, Walt Disney Animation Studios and Research In Motion.
    | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(framework)

This must be a huge job. I wonder if RIM planned on this from when it acquired TAT or if there was a change in course? In any case, there should be real advantages in using a stable open source framework like Qt.

| TAT Cascades Framework | Nerd Web Blog
    | BlackBerry PlayBook OS joins Qt open source project in bid to lure disgruntled Nokia developers | The Verge
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7112782
    | QNX - QtProject
    04-16-12 06:32 AM
312 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD