Anyone seen a playbook app (sideloaded or native) that logs data usage over the wifi?
    06-21-12 12:45 PM
    I dont think this is currently possible.
    06-21-12 01:13 PM
    I have "Traffic Monitor" installed on my blackberry, I was hoping for the same on Playbook.
    06-21-12 04:12 PM
    Not possible with the API's that are currently available
    06-21-12 04:30 PM

I don't understand how this would be helpful at all in the first place. Most wifi networks (private or public) don't care how much data you use. If you're using a portable wifi device then bookmark your carriers website in the browser, or use the carriers app (don't know of a carrier that doesn't offer this) on your phone to monitor your usage.

If I'm not thinking straight then someone please set me straight on why an app like this on the PlayBook would be beneficial.
    06-21-12 04:44 PM

I don't understand how this would be helpful at all in the first place. Most wifi networks (private or public) don't care how much data you use. If you're using a portable wifi device then bookmark your carriers website in the browser, or use the carriers app (don't know of a carrier that doesn't offer this) on your phone to monitor your usage.

If I'm not thinking straight then someone please set me straight on why an app like this on the PlayBook would be beneficial.
    It doesnt matter why but it is just not possible YET
    06-21-12 04:53 PM
    It doesnt matter why but it is just not possible YET
    It's not possible yet because it's pointless for it to be. Once we get a 4G PlayBook then it would make sense, but until then it's pointless. Doesn't matter if it's possible or not.
    rcm1301 and btgdelta like this.
    06-21-12 05:00 PM
    It's not possible yet because it's pointless for it to be. Once we get a 4G PlayBook then it would make sense, but until then it's pointless. Doesn't matter if it's possible or not.
    use case could be if a user is on bridge or on a 4g wifi hotspot (one of those hotspots with no screen and only a button) but sadly not possible
    06-21-12 10:05 PM
    use case could be if a user is on bridge or on a 4g wifi hotspot (one of those hotspots with no screen and only a button) but sadly not possible
    Then instead the device with Bridge data or Hotspot can measure the data usage.
    ridesno159 likes this.
    06-21-12 11:50 PM
    Then instead the device with Bridge data or Hotspot can measure the data usage.
    Exactly!

ignites, refer to my first post for why I think an app like this is pointless at this point in time, whether it's possible or not....
    06-21-12 11:53 PM

.....(don't know of a carrier that doesn't offer this) on your phone to monitor your usage...

while the 1st quote might be true, the very experience i had with my carrier (T-mobile) replies to the 2nd quote and makes the OP question quite reasonable, IMO of course...

here's my experience WHY....

I own a t-mobile 4G mobile wi-fi and find it exceptionally handy. my data plan is unlimited BUT only the first 2GB are over the 'fast' 4G network. the plan stipulates that once i exceed the 2GB, I will be switched to a slow 'edge' network. this is not a problem if one uses occasional email or browsing, but if you are like me, streaming sports events on the go, forget it - you will chew thru your allotment in no time.

So, i set out to run some tests to track my own streaming habits and decide if it's worth upgrading to an unlimited data and pay another $25...

the long story short, i have concluded unequivocally that t-mobile's blatantly lied on their reported data usage posted to my account. i ran the tests over and over and was first dumfounded by the discrepancy and then annoyed when t-mobile customer service acknowledged and promised to investigate but never got back to me...

when i complained again that this was a case of false advertising and schemeing, i was told, 'what is your problem, youre getting an unlimited plan anyway
    06-22-12 06:04 AM
    I believe it would actually be possible to make a browser which would track all the data you use within that specific browser, however an app that tracks all data usage across the entire PlayBook is not.
    06-22-12 01:10 PM
    while the 1st quote might be true, the very experience i had with my carrier (T-mobile) replies to the 2nd quote and makes the OP question quite reasonable, IMO of course...

here's my experience WHY....

I own a t-mobile 4G mobile wi-fi and find it exceptionally handy. my data plan is unlimited BUT only the first 2GB are over the 'fast' 4G network. the plan stipulates that once i exceed the 2GB, I will be switched to a slow 'edge' network. this is not a problem if one uses occasional email or browsing, but if you are like me, streaming sports events on the go, forget it - you will chew thru your allotment in no time.

So, i set out to run some tests to track my own streaming habits and decide if it's worth upgrading to an unlimited data and pay another $25...

the long story short, i have concluded unequivocally that t-mobile's blatantly lied on their reported data usage posted to my account. i ran the tests over and over and was first dumfounded by the discrepancy and then annoyed when t-mobile customer service acknowledged and promised to investigate but never got back to me...

when i complained again that this was a case of false advertising and schemeing, i was told, 'what is your problem, youre getting an unlimited plan anyway
    Open your browser, go to 192.168.1.1 (default MiFi admin address) and log in. Your device should keep track of data that way as well. Also keep in mind that software updates (OTA) are part of your data, so if Tmo is sending new programming etc to your MiFi then that is not included in your Playbook tests. The device also sends and receives data when establishing connections to the Tmo network etc.
    nsectf and rational_mind like this.
    06-22-12 01:29 PM
    Open your browser, go to 192.168.1.1 (default MiFi admin address) and log in. Your device should keep track of data that way as well. Also keep in mind that software updates (OTA) are part of your data, so if Tmo is sending new programming etc to your MiFi then that is not included in your Playbook tests. The device also sends and receives data when establishing connections to the Tmo network etc.
    That's is a good partial solution
    I use a mifi router with 3g sim and this method gives a record of data used in PRESENT SESSION only
    What I need is a data counter for checking consolidated usage, right now it's a PITA as I have to put the SIM in a phone first
    06-29-12 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD