Do a search for "GPS" in App World, and see all the "CitynameX On-Device GPS Map - Offline Map" results, where CityNameX is a city or or county such as Germany, Atlanta, Mexico City, etc etc.

Maybe they've been available forever and I never saw them, because some of them have reviews from September, but they showed up under the "newest" section in App World.

I can't actually test them out (well there's no trial, so it wouldn't even be a test lol, I'd just own them) since there isn't one for my area (DFW), but has anyone else looked at them? As far as I see, there isn't any turn by turn navigation, but an offline map app is probably the closest we can get for now.
    12-22-11 02:18 AM
    Yes they have been available for a while. Search around on the forums, I don't think they were gettijg good feedback.

If you are on OS 2 beta, you can use MapDroyd which works fine. You can manage your maps anytime and update or download new regions right inside the program. While it doesn't even have search address let alone direction or turn by turn, it does show your gps location on map.
    12-22-11 06:21 AM
    it would be nice to see photos of these apps. the main website is devoid of this even basic information. will wait and see.
    gary61 and Berrimad like this.
    12-22-11 08:23 AM
    I managed to get France-maps when it was posted at $0.99 (yes, 99 cents) so I grabbed it.

The maps are based on open street maps. I actually cannot tell how much of the initial map is actually on the device because as you pan (east/west/north/south) or zoom, the app will download additional maps tiles/segments. So I was able to pan from France to the US West Coast and download more maps of my area. I was able to zoom in on Paris and I believe it grabbed the more detailed maps, too.

It can locate your current position using the gps but it does not have search capabilities.
    12-22-11 06:22 PM
    You might wanna see this thread about that.

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...s-scam-644315/

I noticed all those popping up and it piqued my interest; but with seeing two negative posts about it in under five minutes, I dont know.
    12-22-11 08:50 PM
    I managed to get France-maps when it was posted at $0.99 (yes, 99 cents) so I grabbed it.

The maps are based on open street maps. I actually cannot tell how much of the initial map is actually on the device because as you pan (east/west/north/south) or zoom, the app will download additional maps tiles/segments. So I was able to pan from France to the US West Coast and download more maps of my area. I was able to zoom in on Paris and I believe it grabbed the more detailed maps, too.

It can locate your current position using the gps but it does not have search capabilities.
    Try turning off your wi-fi and seeing how much it can load? And i'm curious myself if you try this...
    12-23-11 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD