Hey guys

Im here to ask if anyone here is able to make a ventrilo app for the playbook.

Is it even possible? I'm willing to pay for your time if its complicated or just time consuming.

Thanks in advance guys
    08-11-12 12:26 PM
    I didn't knew what kind of app it is till I googled it (some background information for devs) :

Ventrilo (or Vent for short) is a proprietary VoIP software that includes text chat.

The Ventrilo client and server are both available as freeware for use with up to 8 people on the same server (rented servers can maintain as many as 100+ people). The server software is available for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, or Unix variants such as Linux, Kopi, Solaris, NetBSD and FreeBSD. The client is available for Windows and Mac OS X. Presently[when?], however, the Mac OS X client is still unable to properly use most servers, due to a lack of support for the widely used GSM codec.[citationneeded] A Linux version is planned, but Mangler, a third-party Linux client, is available under the GPL license. There is also Ventrilode, a third-party client for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Ventrilo currently supports GSM Full Rate and Speex as their main codecs.

Usage

Ventrilo is widely used by gamers who use the software to communicate with other players on the same team of a multiplayer game. Ventrilo is chosen by gamers because the client uses minimal CPU resources.

Ventrilo is also used as a call-in method on radio shows, and for general voice-chat.

I think its possible to make, but I don't think that you'll see an app like that till BB10 arrives ..

Jeroen
    08-11-12 12:40 PM
    Mangler is a vent client available on Google Play. Someone could try and wrap it for the Android player. No clue if it will work or not though.
    08-11-12 12:47 PM
    I know I downloaded the teamspeak client and converted it. I tried it on 2.0 and it didn't work. I should try it on the dev 2.1.

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk
    08-11-12 08:07 PM
    All I know is there are 2 or 3 apps on android for it, and also a few for ios.

And they are free if that helps.

Thanks for the interest and help guys!
    08-12-12 01:13 AM
    Neat trick with ventrillo. It works over bridge. Speak into your bb and it comes up on your PB
    08-12-12 02:52 AM
    Neat trick with ventrillo. It works over bridge. Speak into your bb and it comes up on your PB
    Nice trick !
    08-12-12 12:12 PM
    Mangler Android

I'll go check one of the many bar threads and maybe someone has tried already.
    08-15-12 12:20 AM
    No go. D/led it, converted it, crashes on load. (I'm running dev 2.1 tho)

http://apk2bar.unker.net/bar/14679/o...v1.0.121.0.bar yay autoconvert.
    08-15-12 12:39 AM
    No go. D/led it, converted it, crashes on load. (I'm running dev 2.1 tho)

http://apk2bar.unker.net/bar/14679/o...v1.0.121.0.bar yay autoconvert.
    Damn! Thanks for trying

So no hope?
    08-31-12 10:07 AM
    Im renewing my appeal. Im still willing to pay for your time!

Nothing?
    11-06-12 08:31 AM
    All the Android Ventrilo apps appear to use native code (which is understandable, it presumably uses it for encoding and decoding the voice streams being sent and received, a task much better suited to native code than Java). This means they will not work. Only pure Java apps will work.

In other words, a client would probably have to be written from scratch for the PB. If there are open source clients for other platforms (I didn't take too much time to look into it), it may be possible to port one of them.
    11-06-12 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD