I'd like to treat my PlayBook as a virtual secretary of sorts - speak commands to it and potentially have it answer back. Taking one step at a time though, has anyone made progress in capturing and processing voice input with the PlayBook?

With the WebWorks (HTML5 / JavaScript) platform, there is the potential of using the Microphone class for this purpose. It'd record to a WAV file, but that's not too bad for very short clips:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/...icrophone.html
    12-31-11 11:35 AM
    I'd like to treat my PlayBook as a virtual secretary of sorts - speak commands to it and potentially have it answer back. Taking one step at a time though, has anyone made progress in capturing and processing voice input with the PlayBook?

With the WebWorks (HTML5 / JavaScript) platform, there is the potential of using the Microphone class for this purpose. It'd record to a WAV file, but that's not too bad for very short clips:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/...icrophone.html
    Check out iSpeech Translator. Speak or type a word or phrase - get a voice and text translation. Translation happens in the cloud in this case but someone implementing your idea is probably just a matter of time.
    12-31-11 11:47 AM
    I have been trying ISpeech on the pb for the last half hour and while it does recognize what I say (the text appears), all is get is that spinning wheel and nothing ever happens. I even restarted (battery icon) the pb.
    12-31-11 12:21 PM
    I have been trying ISpeech on the pb for the last half hour and while it does recognize what I say (the text appears), all is get is that spinning wheel and nothing ever happens. I even restarted (battery icon) the pb.
    Yes, but it seems to be broken at the moment. Server problems perhaps? I haven't used it for a while but it worked fine then. But, upon checking the reviews the server seems to be on again, off again (mostly off again).

Still, it's a valid example of what the OP was talking about. The app is not able to speak the translated phrase, but is does understand the "command" and is able to show it in text format.
    12-31-11 01:17 PM
    Thanks - yes - it is pretty good at getting through my Bronx Accent!!!! (actually, it is not that thick! - my accent)

Also, tried the version on my 9650. It was able to speak about two words of a phrase and repeated those rather than completing the sentence!
    12-31-11 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD