There's one on Appworld right now. It is named, appropriately, Telnet SSH. The developer's summary says it's based on PuTTY and uses QT.

Also, it apparently maps the Escape key to , and the Control key to , neither of which seems ideal... using emacs like that would be a real pain. I would rather see meta keys mapped elsewhere, maybe to a screen overlay like DosBox is using, or perhaps a top-of-screen panel activated by the down-swipe event.

Anyway, the app costs $1.99, but I probably won't buy it until there are at least a couple of good reviews.
    11-28-11 11:15 PM
    Seems like it could be pretty neat,and strangely comes out the day I first installed PUTTY on my windows partition.

My main wonder would be: does it have a Xserver built in? (windows version doesnt)

If it does, it is an instant purchase for me. That's gedit, and every main GNOME app available on my playbook. Kinda doubt it works though (even though the menu shows it)
    11-28-11 11:33 PM
    Hmmm, I'd try it, but untill they get that damned 10000 error fixed I cant buy anything. I've got a whole list goin.
    11-29-11 12:01 AM
    Four good reviews now, 4.5 star average, purchased and tested briefly. Seems to work well in either landscape or portrait. With 8 point mono font in portrait, you can have an 80 column terminal with well over 25 rows, so there's definitely some serious potential here. What it needs now is the ability to fix the the terminal height and show the on-screen keyboard full time so that there's never any text hiding. Also, an additional row of configurable soft keys just above the regular keyboard would be great so you could program it for keystrokes like tab, control, alt, escape, arrows, pgup, pgdn, home, end, etc... whatever will fit.

Here's a sample portrait terminal, showing a telnet to my wifi router.

Last edited by ibillwilson; 11-29-11 at 01:57 AM. Reason: additional info and results
    11-29-11 12:13 AM
    Give me a tab key and I'm good to go. I just bought this and it connects me and lets me type. That's enough for me right now for remote site management. I hope the functionality extends, but for right now, I can SSH and Telnet from my Playbook with Putty and that's awesome!
    11-29-11 02:28 AM
    The PuTTY part is perfect, as expected.

1. I don't like the Ctrl mapping, but it is not a big deal.
    2. The keyboard hides the screen. This is a irritating, but as louzer said - I'm happy that at least now I have the option to connect to my servers for a quick check.
    11-29-11 05:19 AM
    The developer just released an update that completely fixes the screen height / keyboard interaction... a huge improvement in usability. Now all I really need is for the app to default to the onscreen keyboard that includes the colon key next to the space bar... that would make the use of vi or Vim much more convenient.

The control and escape key mappings are also not totally ideal, but since I use vi instead of the infidel emacs, those don't concern me as much.
    12-06-11 08:42 AM
    The developer just released an update that completely fixes the screen height / keyboard interaction... a huge improvement in usability. Now all I really need is for the app to default to the onscreen keyboard that includes the colon key next to the space bar... that would make the use of vi or Vim much more convenient.

The control and escape key mappings are also not totally ideal, but since I use vi instead of the infidel emacs, those don't concern me as much.
    I love vim too.

The ssh client itself seems to work great. Even better when using a bluetooth keyboard.

One thing I've noticed with vim is that with both my bluetooth keyboard and the Playbook's keyboard, hitting some of the peripheral keys, such as shift, control, or option, inserts an arbitrary @ symbol.

Are you seeing that?
    12-06-11 12:34 PM
    I just wanted to report back on my SSH experiences.

Telnet SSH is quite fast and responsive, but unfortunately it won't work for me.

Both my home and work boxes are Macs, and there seems to be a problem with proper keyboard emulation when shelled into either box.

In vi for example, pressing the shift key (and ctrl, option, caps lock on a bluetooth keyboard) either inserts an @ symbol or pastes in the last operation. It does this with both the playbook's keyboard and with a bluetooth keyboard.

This behavior doesn't seem to be limited to vi either. If I shell into my work box, then attempt to shell into another server from there, my login fails b/c my password has caps in it and I have to use the shift key.

I installed the ConnectBot android app and it seems to be working better for me. The connection setup was much easier and once in, vi seemed to work well.

With ConnectBot, the Playbook's keyboard seemed to have no issue, but with my bluetooth keyboard the right shift key would type in an unknown character, but the left shift key would not. So I was able to make use of the left shift key to do everything needed. I was even able to log into another server.

Of the two, Telnet SSH is faster, likely b/c ConnectBot is running on the Android player, but the difference is slight.

This experience could be a Mac-only thing however, so your mileage may vary.

I have contacted the developer for Telnet SSH to see what he thinks. I tried for two days with every keyboard and other setting I could think of.
    12-08-11 03:59 PM
    I've downloaded the program (been waiting a while now for an SSH App). I can get into my work program now quite successfully. The thing is, maybe I'm a bit slow, but I can't figure out which key combo's equal a specific function key. Anyone have any insight? A pull down of function keys from the top of the screen would come in real handy here.
    12-12-11 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD