I know there is another thread about Plex, but I'm interested in even more general information. Does anyone know of a way to stream media from a NAS to Playbook? My NAS acts as a dlna and daap server, which gives me a lot of flexibility in ways for a client to receive the media.

The closest I've come is running Musicbrowser on my NAS and listening to music on the Playbook via the browser. This is a pretty easy solution. However, I'm really interested in being able to stream video. One other idea is to use Orb via the web, but I haven't tried that yet.

Is there something about the playbook that prevents such apps from being developed?

thanks
    12-23-11 12:55 PM
    Try SonicAir for PlayBook. Pretty decent. You will need to donate to the subsonic project, though (10 euros) to use the app (it also has a web interface). Not as complete as Plex, but it does the job.
    12-23-11 12:57 PM
    i have sonic air and also tried orb.

first of all, orb support on playbook is HORRENDOUS. don't even bother.

sonic air for playbook is also a little shoddy. lots of random video freezes (especially if you're not on the same LAN) and completely bizarre way of sorting files. sometimes when you try to rewind or forward to a part in a video, it just flat out doesn't work.

up front the GUI looks pretty nice, but the backend of how it works is definitely nowhere near the quality of other apps on other platforms.

i was REALLY hoping sonic air was going to be a decent media streaming solution (i do this ALL of the time on my ipad and iphone with air video app) but so far the playbook is just horrible for this.
    12-23-11 01:37 PM
    Try "PlayOn." You would be using the web browser to access the streams also. The web gui isnt the best but the functionality may give you what you need.
    12-23-11 02:52 PM
    i would love a media streaming solution for my nas (iomega ix2-200) but i doubt anything will come. i recently installed tversity on my pc and it streams via web or flash. the flash streaming works great on my pb. its not the highest quality but it can stream any format and it saves me the hassle of converting/copying content to the pb. havent experienced any lag or other significant issues. great solution until something better comes out.
    12-23-11 06:19 PM
    If you root it, you can do a cifs (smb) mount and then redirect the media indexer at your new mountpoint.

dlna would be the long-term solution, and is apparently in the works.
    Wolfgan likes this.
    12-24-11 12:47 AM
    mout it and let the playbook do the encoding is the best way i think

dlna is a peace of crap standard! there are only 3 codecs that needed to be supported to receive the DLNA cert.

JPEG
    LPCM
    MPEG2

so outdated....
    12-24-11 01:24 AM
    If you run a web server on your PC (your not on Mac I an guessing) this might help. If your a Mac user this might really help.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ok-os7-681560/
    12-24-11 01:42 AM
    If you root it, you can do a cifs (smb) mount and then redirect the media indexer at your new mountpoint.
    It sounds great. Tried to find some guidance at the rooting forum but couldn't find any. Any recipe around that you're aware of?
    Thnks, Wolf
    Last edited by Wolfgan; 12-26-11 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Typo
    12-26-11 08:57 AM
    If you're running the beta you can use ES File Explorer to browse to your network share and then use "open as" to play videos. They have to be in a format that the PB can open, obviously.
    12-26-11 11:28 AM
    I know there is another thread about Plex, but I'm interested in even more general information. Does anyone know of a way to stream media from a NAS to Playbook? My NAS acts as a dlna and daap server, which gives me a lot of flexibility in ways for a client to receive the media.

The closest I've come is running Musicbrowser on my NAS and listening to music on the Playbook via the browser. This is a pretty easy solution. However, I'm really interested in being able to stream video. One other idea is to use Orb via the web, but I haven't tried that yet.

Is there something about the playbook that prevents such apps from being developed?

thanks
    nothing on the playbook prevents such apps besides a complete lack of interest from developers. plex devs don't care about the playbook at all. same with xbmc devs. the closest is definitely sonic air but its definitely not as smooth as other video streaming apps on other platforms.
    12-26-11 12:16 PM
    For the playbook there is also a DAAP client called Music Pump DAAP Player. It allows you to stream and download music from a DAAP server.
    02-23-12 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD