Surprised this topic hasn't come up yet.

Any ideas how I can turn my PB into a Digital Picture Frame?

My desire would be the ability to send pictures to the PB via WiFi and have them randomly display. Or, for the PB to pick up pictures from a network share and display them randomly.
    12-29-11 10:08 AM
    As I suggested here, I think some nice photo client apps -- incorporating this functionality -- would do really well on the PB. Any enterprising devs out there?
    12-29-11 10:34 AM
    As I suggested here, I think some nice photo client apps -- incorporating this functionality -- would do really well on the PB. Any enterprising devs out there?
    Thanks. I also noticed this thread which seems like a creative workaround which I'm going to try.

Downside is duplicating your photos to the cloud and using external bandwidth to get at your photos. But for now, that's not an issue for me.
    12-29-11 10:40 AM
    There's an app called Slidemaker that you can put together a picture slideshow. Not exactly what you're describing but it's kinda cool. I've only played with it for a minute.
    12-29-11 12:35 PM
    There's an app called Slidemaker that you can put together a picture slideshow. Not exactly what you're describing but it's kinda cool. I've only played with it for a minute.
    Thanks for offering the suggestion. I checked out the app and it's not what I'm looking for.
    12-29-11 12:39 PM
    Just to add, the "Pictures" app included with the PB is a very good no-frills app with slideshow support.

I wouldn't mind it having the ability to do the following:

Randomize pictures in slideshow mode
    Set a time between transitions. The default appears to be 3 seconds which is far too fast.

I really like the fact that the Pictures app will automatically detect the orientation of the picture and display correctly. Why 3rd party apps don't include this is odd to me.
    12-29-11 12:53 PM
    I am using an app called Files and Folders. It has a slide show function which allows me to show my photos from either the PB, dropbox, or Box.
    akaRichard likes this.
    12-29-11 01:15 PM
    I am using a free app called StayOn. It basically shuts off the screen timeout while the app is running and plays a slidesow of pictures. Not may options but it works really well. I use it while it is in the dock on my desk.
    akaRichard likes this.
    12-29-11 02:31 PM
    I am using an app called Files and Folders. It has a slide show function which allows me to show my photos from either the PB, dropbox, or Box.
    I'm doing this currently on a recommendation from another forum member's post. I reference it in a post above.

I like this setup. Only thing lacking is randomizing and auto-rotating of photos. That would make it perfect.
    12-29-11 03:21 PM
    I am using a free app called StayOn. It basically shuts off the screen timeout while the app is running and plays a slidesow of pictures. Not may options but it works really well. I use it while it is in the dock on my desk.
    Thanks. Will check this out.

EDIT: While Stay On has its place, it's not what I'm looking for. I need the foreground app like a Slideshow app to stay on while its showing my pictures - not in the background. This app, Stay On, needs to run in the foreground to make the PB "stay on" while background apps continue to run.

The solution with the "Files and Folders" app and the "Box.net" app is the closest to what I'm looking for. The provided Pictures app would be perfect if it provided more options for setting the Slideshow transition time, at a minimum, and the ability to access cloud storage or SMB shares.
    Last edited by TotalDistinction; 12-29-11 at 03:32 PM.
    12-29-11 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD