Now that we have OS 2.0, I find myself wanting to create new symlinks in /accounts/1000/shared/misc/android/ for directories in /accounts/1000/shared/ that are not already symlinked by RIM.

Do any of the available file browsers support creation of symlinks (and does the OS even allow it without being rooted?)

My current preferred file browser is "File Browser" by Aftab Solutions, but I've looked at others, including Android ones, and haven't seen any that will let me create new links.
    03-23-12 09:33 AM
    just to say, interested too...
    07-06-12 05:38 AM
    What about using one of these "terminal" applications, isn't there just a symlink command of some sorts right there?
    07-07-12 09:17 AM
    What about using one of these "terminal" applications, isn't there just a symlink command of some sorts right there?
    Are there terminal applications for the PB? I haven't come across any as of yet, but I'd be interested in installing one if they exist.
    07-07-12 09:55 AM
    Sideload the android 'Astro file manager' it shows even the system/os file.
    07-07-12 12:03 PM
    Sideload the android 'Astro file manager' it shows even the system/os file.
    But can it create symlinks? That's what's important here. All sideloaded Android file managers have access to more files than native ones

The only one I can find that can create symlinks is Root Explorer, which I don't think will work on PB without root for Android VM. But I'll try it anyway - Nope, black screen
    Last edited by SifJar; 07-07-12 at 12:32 PM.
    07-07-12 12:25 PM
    But can it create symlinks? That's what's important here. All sideloaded Android file managers have access to more files than native ones

The only one I can find that can create symlinks is Root Explorer, which I don't think will work on PB without root for Android VM. But I'll try it anyway - Nope, black screen
    You can create new shortcuts to a directory , i'm not sure about symlinks
    07-07-12 12:48 PM
    You can create new shortcuts to a directory , i'm not sure about symlinks
    Shortcuts aren't the same thing, I don't believe it can create symlinks
    07-07-12 01:30 PM
    Not a solution, but this is just to mention, from an "external" terminal application, on my macintosh, I indeed can create symlinks (with the 'ls -s' command); these links do work when in the terminal (e. g. when I type cd herethenameofthesymlink, then ls, I indeed see the files contained in the linked directory).
    But, seen from inside the Playbook with the android app "File Browser", the symlink just appears as a file with nothing to open it.
    Maybe I should find a native file explorer?
    (of course the original BB "Files" app doesn't even show the directories to start with)
    If any of you has an advice about native explorers, it'll be welcome ;-)
    H.
    07-08-12 05:35 AM
    I like AirBrowser, it's a good native file browser. Others like Files & Folders, but it costs money, so I've never tried it (AirBrowser is free and it works, why would I pay for something else? )
    07-08-12 07:30 AM
    Ok, downloaded Airbrowser to try it. Won't follow my mac-created symlink, but definitely nifty otherwise! While I tried three others I'm definitely considering adopting it!
    Thank you SifJar!

(edit) Airbrowser doesn't seem to access folders other than the standard default ones?
    (At least I didn't manage to reach the Android-handled files, or then it's too uneasy for me ;-)
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-09-12 at 02:34 AM.
    07-08-12 10:05 AM
    Here is a terminal app: Konsole.bar

To make symbolic links, you use:
    ln -s .. ..
    SifJar, JunkieXP, dimm0k and 2 others like this.
    07-08-12 07:30 PM
    Loaded. Tried. Cool.

H.
    07-11-12 08:16 AM
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.
    I didn't know there an app that would give us shell access without the device being rooted.
    07-11-12 10:35 AM
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.
    I didn't know there an app that would give us shell access without the device being rooted.
    From running the app, I suspect it is a Qt application that xsacha may well have ported, so it is possible this is the first time he has shared it. I have certainly never come across it before.
    07-11-12 01:02 PM
    Used it to let Eye-Fi store it's Pictures within the Native Playbook Picture App =). Works great =)!
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-12-12 11:37 AM
    Excellent! That's exactly what I intend to do when I get the eye-fi!
    How did you proceed exactly? You deleted the eye-fi related folder and replaced it with a symlink to the PB pictures folder?
    H.
    07-13-12 01:32 AM

To make symbolic links, you use:
    ln -s .. ..
    Please keep us apprised of any updates to this awesomeness!
    11-16-12 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD