The Wolfson WM8994 spec sheet says:

Eight highly flexible analogue inputs allow interfacing to up to four microphone inputs (single-ended or differential), plus multiple stereo or mono line inputs. Connections to an external voice CODEC, FM radio, line input, handset MIC and headset MIC are all fully supported. Signal routing to the output mixers and within the CODEC has been designed for maximum flexibility to support a wide variety of usage modes. A 'Direct Voice' path from a voice CODEC directly to the Speaker or Earpiece output drivers is included.

That was taken from:

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/document...uctBrief_2.pdf

So the chip has the ability.

Antenna? Don't need much for a local station. Might have one. Anyone know?
    04-26-12 12:37 PM
    Perhaps it doesn't have a supported API available from RIM yet? Don't take my word for it as I've not looked into what is currently available but this seems like a logical conclusion. Maybe once Cascades is released the NDK will be complete.

As for the antenna, I don't know if you'll need one but I remember that headphone cables have been used in the past as a substitute for an independent antenna.
    04-26-12 02:38 PM
    It's not quite pure FM radio, but there is Nobex. I've been able to find just about every station in the DC area worth listening to on it.
    04-26-12 03:03 PM
    I doubt it. It doesn't seem to say that it has an FM radio, but rather that it supports a connection to an external FM radio. It also has a connection to a line input, and supports up to 4 mic inputs. Where are these on your PB? Just because it supports something doesn't mean the hardware is there to take advantage of that support.
    04-26-12 03:12 PM
    Why bother when that FM radio app is so amazing! Even found a couple of radio stations from small town Alberta I usually listen to when I go camping /boating in the summer. Cool stuff!
    04-26-12 04:20 PM
    I suspect as pacoman03 says, that particular chip doesn't actually provide the FM radio decoding and such. In the end it doesn't matter, however, because the WiLink 7 chip which provides almost all the other wireless capabilities (GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi and more) does definitely support FM radio (and also something called ANT), so one way or the other the PlayBook surely has the physical capability.

Software is the key, and RIM's said nothing about it.

You can pretty much count on this not happening before BB10, I would think, but it could definitely happen with BB10. And no, developers cannot add this capability without RIM's involvement, so don't expect to see anything third-party just show up.
    04-26-12 05:21 PM
    Why bother when that FM radio app is so amazing! Even found a couple of radio stations from small town Alberta I usually listen to when I go camping /boating in the summer. Cool stuff!
    Because then we wouldn't need a wifi connection to listen to the radio! It would be a huge plus!
    04-26-12 05:24 PM
    I suspect as pacoman03 says, that particular chip doesn't actually provide the FM radio decoding and such. In the end it doesn't matter, however, because the WiLink 7 chip which provides almost all the other wireless capabilities (GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi and more) does definitely support FM radio (and also something called ANT), so one way or the other the PlayBook surely has the physical capability.

Software is the key, and RIM's said nothing about it.

You can pretty much count on this not happening before BB10, I would think, but it could definitely happen with BB10. And no, developers cannot add this capability without RIM's involvement, so don't expect to see anything third-party just show up.
    Thinking the same thing over here, remember OS 7.0? RIM never mentioned anything about the FM radio feature, well until they released OS 7.1 that is. Perhaps the same case scenario applies here, RIM didn't originally mention there was an FM chip inside the Curve series until the actual OS 7.1 was released. Even though the hardware is there, chances are this particular part of the software isn't considered "top priority". It's definitely nice to be able to listen to local radio without having WiFi, and having access to local radio only doesn't annoy every single PlayBook owner.

Chances are they are going work on it, but perhaps this is a feature we wouldn't be seeing for some time.
    04-26-12 05:29 PM
    The Wolfson WM8994 spec sheet says:

Eight highly flexible analogue inputs allow interfacing to up to four microphone inputs (single-ended or differential), plus multiple stereo or mono line inputs. Connections to an external voice CODEC, FM radio, line input, handset MIC and headset MIC are all fully supported. Signal routing to the output mixers and within the CODEC has been designed for maximum flexibility to support a wide variety of usage modes. A 'Direct Voice' path from a voice CODEC directly to the Speaker or Earpiece output drivers is included.
    You need to add the other relevant portions of that sentence.

RIF dot ORG
    04-26-12 05:36 PM
    This has made me curious as to when we might see a tablet with an ATSC tuner one day for over the air digital tv reception...
    04-26-12 06:03 PM
    This has made me curious as to when we might see a tablet with an ATSC tuner one day for over the air digital tv reception...
    any windows tablet with full usb support can do this right now, with a usb tuner.
    04-26-12 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD