Hey all,

I'm excited to announce the availability of iTunes Sync, which allows you to keep your PlayBook up-to-date with your latest music purchases without the need for wires. I've been waiting for an app like this for a long time, maybe you have too...

Buy iTunes Sync - Download iTunes Sync - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

Daniel
    alnamvet68 and d_pang like this.
    11-25-11 07:04 AM
    That's interesting, and for $0.99, it's a no brainer. BUT, the first thing I did when I finally got my PB up and running after an hour or so of having to endure the unwashed masses at Starbucks with bad toe nail fungus or smelly Earth shoes (I don't have wi-fi on the plantation), I ran home, burned all my fungal infected clothes, ran up to the office nekkid as a jaybird, set up BB Desk top managaer, and connected the PB, and lo and behold (I was really surprised), all my iTunes musical library was available for download to my PB, and I didn't spend a dime for that app. I'm curious now as to why I need an app such as this?
    ibillwilson likes this.
    11-25-11 08:14 AM
    That's interesting, and for $0.99, it's a no brainer. BUT, the first thing I did when I finally got my PB up and running after an hour or so of having to endure the unwashed masses at Starbucks with bad toe nail fungus or smelly Earth shoes (I don't have wi-fi on the plantation), I ran home, burned all my fungal infected clothes, ran up to the office nekkid as a jaybird, set up BB Desk top managaer, and connected the PB, and lo and behold (I was really surprised), all my iTunes musical library was available for download to my PB, and I didn't spend a dime for that app. I'm curious now as to why I need an app such as this?
    Right, so the initial download isn't the aim of the app... nice flowery description of running upstairs naked by the way

... the point is that when I buy new music on iTunes, it's annoying to have to remember to plug my PlayBook in to sync it. It's just enough of a nuisance that I rarely do, but then I'm sad when I'm off somewhere with my PlayBook and I realize none of my recent purchases are there.

So, what's nice about this, is that you can be goofing around with your PlayBook on your couch, flip this app open, click Sync, and presto, all of your new music is there. For me, that's brilliant, something I've always wished my mobile devices could do.

Your mileage may vary.
    curve-20 likes this.
    11-25-11 08:36 AM
    I was just going to post that after re-reading the app descrition, it is the OTA synch that is the benefit; I get it now, and it will be my first app purchase here momentarily. Thanks for the headsup btw.
    danielbigham likes this.
    11-25-11 08:39 AM
    Nice...I might have to try this one. Thanks for the heads up.
    11-25-11 08:52 AM
    Thanks for the post. I did sync my iTunes via Desktop Manager and I moved my songs over. However, I typically use 7digital because this cool British service works seamlessly with my Playbook an BlackBerry.
    danielbigham likes this.
    11-25-11 09:06 AM
    ... after an hour or so of having to endure the unwashed masses at Starbucks with bad toe nail fungus or smelly Earth shoes (I don't have wi-fi on the plantation), I ran home, burned all my fungal infected clothes, ran up to the office nekkid as a jaybird ...
    I congratulate you on your creation of an extreme virtual sensory experience in less than 100 words.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-25-11 09:32 AM
    I am a newbie so pls dont blast me. Will this work if my wife purchases a song on her I phone? i have the storm 2 and the pb. Not sure if this will work for me. Thanks
    11-25-11 10:03 AM
    Hey all,

I'm excited to announce the availability of iTunes Sync, which allows you to keep your PlayBook up-to-date with your latest music purchases without the need for wires. I've been waiting for an app like this for a long time, maybe you have too...

Buy iTunes Sync - Download iTunes Sync - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

Daniel
    I may be missing something, but using the Blackberry software to sync iTunes, I do not get any of the songs that were purchased from iTunes. It is because they have DRM in them. Is there a setting for Canadians to get DRM free from iTunes. I don't think any of these songs were recent purchases.

Will your app sync the DRM songs?
    11-25-11 10:32 AM
    I may be missing something, but using the Blackberry software to sync iTunes, I do not get any of the songs that were purchased from iTunes. It is because they have DRM in them. Is there a setting for Canadians to get DRM free from iTunes. I don't think any of these songs were recent purchases.

Are you saying you can't sync iTunes songs to your PB using DM? iTunes began offering songs without the DRM restrictions about a year ago. Not sure if the DRM is entirely removed, but iTunes sent me a message back then giving me the opportunity to upgrade my previous purchases that I had been unable to play on my Torch. Cost $.30/song, but it also increased the bitrate.

Since I've been able to sync and play my iTunes library with my Torch via both DM and WiFi MusicSync I always assumed you could play the same songs on the PB.
    11-25-11 10:45 AM
    I was able to transfer over ALL of my iTunes music with this app. I've never been able to do that before due to licensing issues. Went very smoothly and quickly. It works.... Great job!
    danielbigham likes this.
    11-25-11 11:02 AM
    Will this work with a Mac?
    11-25-11 11:14 AM
    Im very interested in this app, but i noticed you mentioned windows pc. So this wont work with my Mac? Will one be made available for a Mac in the future?
    11-25-11 11:14 AM

Yes, good point. I didn't even realize people were buying DRM'd songs anymore. All of the songs I buy from iTunes are DRM free. I should update the description to be clear on this... the app can only sync songs that don't have DRM, as you might expect.

Isn't there an option in iTunes to pay another 30 cents and it will remove all of your DRM? I did that a couple of years ago.
    11-25-11 11:25 AM
    Im very interested in this app, but i noticed you mentioned windows pc. So this wont work with my Mac? Will one be made available for a Mac in the future?
    Unfortunately it won't work on Mac until I implement it for Mac. I hope to do that soon.
    11-25-11 11:26 AM
    I am a newbie so pls dont blast me. Will this work if my wife purchases a song on her I phone? i have the storm 2 and the pb. Not sure if this will work for me. Thanks
    In a sense it might, because now adays iTunes has better cloud support, so if your wife downloads a song on her iPhone, there should be a way in iTunes to get it to grab that song as well, although I need to refresh my memory as to how that works. Once your Windows PC has the song on it, then yes, you would be able to grab it on your PlayBook via the iTunes Sync program.
    11-25-11 11:28 AM
    Yes, good point. I didn't even realize people were buying DRM'd songs anymore. All of the songs I buy from iTunes are DRM free. I should update the description to be clear on this... the app can only sync songs that don't have DRM, as you might expect.

Isn't there an option in iTunes to pay another 30 cents and it will remove all of your DRM? I did that a couple of years ago.
    I found out how to upgrade the existing songs. There is a link in the FAQ that will open iTunes and give you the option to upgrade. I don't do the buying, usually my wife or my son and the tunes on this computer may be that old that they are all DRM.

iTunes Store: iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    11-25-11 11:32 AM
    A user emailed me this morning asking whether the app could be used to transfer iTunes movies to PlayBook.

That got me thinking... that would be pretty cool, maybe I should create an app for getting your iTunes video podcasts and movies onto your PlayBook...

Would that be of interest to people?
    11-25-11 12:02 PM
    daniel, if you created an app that would allow me to watch my iTunes movies, podcasts and TV shows on my Playbook, I would absolutely buy it and possibly ask you to marry me! (as long as it was usable for my Mac)

I hope you have a Mac enabled version soon because I will purchase that right away!

Thanks Daniel.
    11-25-11 12:43 PM
    Daniel, my iTunes library resides on a home server...will this work? Have tried installing the desktop software on both my notebook and the server and get error msgs both ways.
    11-25-11 12:49 PM
    Daniel, my iTunes library resides on a home server...will this work? Have tried installing the desktop software on both my notebook and the server and get error msgs both ways.
    That should work just fine. What error message do you get? Is the error on your computer or on the PlayBook? What version of Windows? Did the program seem to install ok?
    11-25-11 12:52 PM
    daniel, if you created an app that would allow me to watch my iTunes movies, podcasts and TV shows on my Playbook, I would absolutely buy it and possibly ask you to marry me! (as long as it was usable for my Mac)

I hope you have a Mac enabled version soon because I will purchase that right away!

Thanks Daniel.
    Cool, I figured this would be a use case that people wanted... hopefully I can figure something out.
    11-25-11 12:57 PM
    I congratulate you on your creation of an extreme virtual sensory experience in less than 100 words.
    That's too funny; you all have yet to see my best work.
    11-25-11 12:58 PM
    That should work just fine. What error message do you get? Is the error on your computer or on the PlayBook? What version of Windows? Did the program seem to install ok?
    When I installed it on and connect to my server, it was a long winded error msg that I failed to write down. I now it installed on my notebook, and updated with my notebook IP, and the error msg that I get is "You do not have any iTunes songs".

Installation went fine and when I press "connect", it connects without a problem. It is when I click "sync" that prompts the error msg on the PlayBook.

On iTunes, I have a smart playlist set up called "PlayBook".

I am on Windows 7 and PB OS 2.0 (latest beta update).
    11-25-11 01:07 PM
    When I installed it on and connect to my server, it was a long winded error msg that I failed to write down. I now it installed on my notebook, and updated with my notebook IP, and the error msg that I get is "You do not have any iTunes songs".

Installation went fine and when I press "connect", it connects without a problem. It is when I click "sync" that prompts the error msg on the PlayBook.

On iTunes, I have a smart playlist set up called "PlayBook".

I am on Windows 7 and PB OS 2.0 (latest beta update).
    Ok, if you're getting the error "You do not have any iTunes songs", that at least tells you that it's connecting to your PC ok and able to send data back and forth. I'm going to hazard a guess, that perhaps all of your music is DRM protected music, and thus there aren't any DRM-free songs that you can download? A way to verify this is to go into your Windows Explorer and browse to the location of your iTunes songs, and look at the file extension. If the file extension is .m4p, that means they're protected (I think). If they're .m4a files, then they're DRM free and should work fine.

A user above linked to the iTunes FAQ which apparently tells you how you can remove the DRM:
    iTunes Store: iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Let me know whether I was right about my theory or not. Hope that helps.

Thanks!
    dropnreload likes this.
    11-25-11 01:19 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD