My Flix app was finally approved today and I just clicked "Post for sale", so it should hopefully be there for you to download and try out. If you get errors about it not being available yet in your region, etc., perhaps try again in a little bit.

Flix on App World

For those that didn't see my earlier thread, Flix is a native Netflix app for BlackBerry PlayBook. It requires you to be on the same Wi-Fi network as your PC. Hope you all enjoy it! I'm personally looking forward to using it when our 3 year old crawls into bed with us and wants to watch videos, or "bideos", as he calls them. Since most of his content is on Netflix, it will be great to be able to fire up his favorite cartoons.

For more information on the app, how to use it, the limitations it has, etc, see:

Flix Website

Here's a demo video as well: (note that the buffering time has been reduced from 40 seconds to 20 seconds, and that the long load time of the movie listing is simply the time it takes to load that page from netflix.com -- ie. it's there slowness, not the app)

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,
    Daniel

PS Can't wait to attend the developer keynote here at BB 10 Jam in 40 minutes, and to get my BB10 Dev Alpha device! The BB 10 keynote earlier today was fantastic! Will be fun to see if I can get Netflix running on BB 10 tonight.
    juacas, wellard, howarmat and 7 others like this.
    05-01-12 11:25 AM
    Wow! You did a herculean job up there! Well done! I just wished that netflix worked outside the US. Are you also planning to do the same for Hulu?

BTW let us know if it did work on your dev alpha device
    05-01-12 11:55 AM
    Wow! You did a herculean job up there! Well done! I just wished that netflix worked outside the US. Are you also planning to do the same for Hulu?

BTW let us know if it did work on your dev alpha device
    I have Netflix here in Canada. Have had it for a long time... and that is outside of the US last time I checked.
    05-01-12 12:28 PM
    I will have to try this out as that is perfect for my household. I have used the 94 episodes of Dora the Explorer to entertain my 2yr old many a times via my smart tv, PS3 and would love to do it from my PB.
    05-01-12 12:42 PM
    Great job, Daniel.

I will be getting this regardless -- but can you answer a question for me?

If I were to watch this offsite, and port forward my way to the server (or VPN) on a fibre->fibre connection with 25mb down and 2mbps up -- will it be watchable?

Not that it is a deal breaker if it isn't.

AND WHY DOESNT IT WORK ON BRIDGE>?!?!?!>!>!>@!>$@>
    (/end token app complaint)

Great job with the software.
    05-01-12 12:48 PM
    Just went to purchase it. Says it is $2.99 in the app store but when I check out it says it is $4.99. What's up with that?
    05-01-12 12:49 PM
    Just went to purchase it. Says it is $2.99 in the app store but when I check out it says it is $4.99. What's up with that?
    Ditto for me.
    05-01-12 01:07 PM
    I have Netflix here in Canada. Have had it for a long time... and that is outside of the US last time I checked.
    Oops my bad, I missed that. Thanks for letting me know. but still hoping for a netflix worldwide.*sigh*
    05-01-12 01:17 PM
    Hi, is it going to work in any country where Netflix works? I live in Colombia I have a Netflix account here and I'm wondering if your app will do the job here.
    Thanks!
    05-01-12 01:25 PM
    �5? Bit steep. Netflix cost �6 for a month.
    05-01-12 01:26 PM
    I'm a deaf member here with CB - would like to know if English subtitles works. Can someone using Flix please head to www.netflix.com/subtitles and pick one of the subtitled movies and see if the taskbar allows subtitles to be set as "on".

Thanks!
    HG.
    05-01-12 01:35 PM
    Can anyone confirm that it works better than Splashtop Streamer? Splashtop streamer is okay, it is somewhat tolerable... but I'd like something that runs a bit better. Maybe this is it?
    05-01-12 01:44 PM
    cool stuff. thanks for hard work

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    danielbigham likes this.
    05-01-12 01:53 PM
    When I first submitted the app to App World for approval, I set the price to $4.99, but when I released it today, I adjusted the price to $2.99, since $5 is a bit steep for first buyers to pay for an app that hasn't proven itself yet. However, there is an issue in App World where, when the price is changed, it does take affect immediately in the store, but when people actually go to buy it, it continues to charge the old price until RIM has synced their price list with Digital River. It is super annoying as a developer, and obviously frustrating for users, especially if they don't notice the discrepancy. Hopefully the price will get synced up soon. RIM knows about this issue and apparently their are working to improve the situation.
    JakePNEFC and spatialmongrel like this.
    05-01-12 03:18 PM
    I'm a deaf member here with CB - would like to know if English subtitles works. Can someone using Flix please head to www.netflix.com/subtitles and pick one of the subtitled movies and see if the taskbar allows subtitles to be set as "on".

Thanks!
    HG.
    Thanks for the great question! I'll test this out when I get the chance.
    05-01-12 03:20 PM
    Hi, is it going to work in any country where Netflix works? I live in Colombia I have a Netflix account here and I'm wondering if your app will do the job here.
    Thanks!
    Good question. I hope it works in other countries, but I haven't been able to test it in other countries myself... if it doesn't end up working, please let me know and I'll release an update.
    05-01-12 03:28 PM
    Great another app I have to purchase. Awesome danielbigham
    05-01-12 04:43 PM
    Not having much luck with the app so far.

Is it only available for 64 bit systems? My core duo runs splashtop like a charm, but it's only 32 bit and the system looks to have been designed for 64 bit pcs only from the install files.

I tried my 64 bit system, but it's underpowered, being just a Win7 media player for the most part. It distorts the audio and the video aspect is waaaaaay off.

Any suggestions? I paid 4.99 and it doesn't appear this will work for me at all.
    Last edited by morlock_man; 05-01-12 at 05:24 PM.
    05-01-12 05:13 PM
    64 bit only...only found out after I bought the app. Looking forward to using it in the future.
    05-01-12 06:03 PM
    good to know there's a way for people to watch netflix now... nice work danielbigham
    05-01-12 06:24 PM
    You sir, are the reigning king at seeing a need, and filling it with a well done app.

Tip of the hat.

Edit: pc installer doesn't work on xp (sigh) dinosaur basement server...
    Last edited by spatialmongrel; 05-01-12 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Install error
    danielbigham likes this.
    05-01-12 07:03 PM

Is it only available for 64 bit systems? My core duo runs splashtop like a charm, but it's only 32 bit and the system looks to have been designed for 64 bit pcs only from the install files.

I tried my 64 bit system, but it's underpowered, being just a Win7 media player for the most part. It distorts the audio and the video aspect is waaaaaay off.

Any suggestions? I paid 4.99 and it doesn't appear this will work for me at all.
    It should work on 32 bit, although as you have found, the installer has an issue. I've released a modified installer here for 32 bit:

http://www.danielbigham.ca/flix32/setup.exe

... and I updated the installer page to note this.

Sorry about the installer glitch, hope this helps.
    05-01-12 10:07 PM

Try this 32-bit installer:

http://www.danielbigham.ca/flix32/setup.exe

Let me know if that works. If not, let me know and I'll be happy to issue a refund. The program does require a fairly recent / powerful CPU. My guess is that your CPU should have 4 CPU threads. (Most 2 core CPUs have 2 threads per CPU) My 3 year Intel Centrino laptop does not, apparently. Still looking into whether there are ways to get it working smoothly on older computers.
    05-01-12 10:10 PM
    You sir, are the reigning king at seeing a need, and filling it with a well done app.

Tip of the hat.

Edit: pc installer doesn't work on xp (sigh) dinosaur basement server...
    Sorry about the XP thing. I had made note of that on the Flix website, but when I originally submitted the app for approval and wrote the App World description, I hadn't discovered the XP incompatibility yet. I wish there wasn't a multi-day lag in updating App World descriptions... here's the App World form for requesting a refund:

https://www.blackberry.com/technical....do?ft=generic
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    05-01-12 10:12 PM
    Works pretty well for me! Nice going!

Tip... if you are trying to watch a TV series episode, you have to first do a search in Netflix to find that series. In the search results, click on the TV series to see the seasons. There will appear a play icon on the left side of the screen for each of the episodes in the series. Press and hold on this icon (I had to zoom in) and copy that link and paste into Flix.
    danielbigham likes this.
    05-02-12 08:53 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD