It's great, but I have to shrink the screen to get the whole picture. Too bad. Still, I spent over an hour playing just now. Original version.

Long list of reasons why AB sucks - most of them have to do with Android choking on it. It didn't hiccup once on the PB.
    every device ive played AB on you have to shrink the screen to do that. And I agree about it not choking. It plays 10x smoother on PB than it does on my droid phone. The playbook NEEEDS more quality apps like this
    8230 and cajualaddict like this.
    12-22-11 12:09 AM
    And yet the reports from people using the Android app in the beta 2.0 OS do not report issues with app performance. When the apps work, it sounds like they work very well, including apps with intensive graphics. That is one of the benefits of QNX and the high quality hardware. Please don't assume laggy performance.
    Perhaps a different thread for this, but have you tried this player yourself? I've played with this quite a bit. Performance is consistently behind our other test tablets with our own code and with other apps we've tried. 40-45FPS on a GT10 became 15-25FPS (and less consistent) on most of the apps we tried. This is the whole reason I was disappointed in our research on this site to find people so seemingly satisfied with the Android player. That seemed bizarre to us in looking at this as a potential market.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-22-11 at 12:24 AM.
    12-22-11 12:17 AM
    Perhaps a different thread for this, but have you tried this player yourself? I've played with this quite a bit. Performance is consistently behind our other test tablets with our own code and with other apps we've tried. 40-45FPS on a GT10 became 15-25FPS (and less consistent) on most of the apps we tried. This is the whole reason I was disappointed in our research on this site to find people so seemingly satisfied with the Android player. That seemed bizarre to us in looking at this as a potential market.
    Nobody said it's going to be perfect.

But the bigger picture for business models is going to be on the QNX handsets with Android player. Despite all the bad press, RIM is still going to sell 50-60 million handsets a year --- basically 3 models, all with the same Qualcomm CPU, all with the same Android version... A dirty Android repackage gets you through the front door relatively quickly with not much tech support fuss and give you enough time to port your ios c/c++ version to QNX.
    12-22-11 01:03 AM
    A dirty Android repackage gets you through the front door relatively quickly with not much tech support fuss and give you enough time to port your ios c/c++ version to QNX.
    Oh sure, that makes sense. After our experience using these things though, we were just surprised that other users (on this forum and elsewhere) somehow didn't notice that the Android player is not as smooth as the same apps on actual Android devices on the market right now. And neither are as smooth as native PB code (or native iPad code for that matter).

We would hope that PB users do actually notice such things and would prefer native apps strongly. Otherwise, there's little point in making them.

But hopefully seeing Angry Birds in the player versus natively will help people realize the enormous difference.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-22-11 at 01:28 AM.
    12-22-11 01:08 AM
    So, which is the best version to buy if you've never played angry birds and want to give it a try?
    get em all. worth it
    12-22-11 02:36 AM
    Oh sure, that makes sense. After our experience using these things though, we were just surprised that other users (on this forum and elsewhere) somehow didn't notice that the Android player is not as smooth as the same apps on actual Android devices on the market right now. And neither are as smooth as native PB code (or native iPad code for that matter).

We would hope that PB users do actually notice such things and would prefer native apps strongly. Otherwise, there's little point in making them.

But hopefully seeing Angry Birds in the player versus natively will help people realize the enormous difference.
    Bread and butter to a starving man tastes just as sweet as a prime rib.
    12-22-11 06:28 AM
    And if you like Angry Birds HD...check out Monopoly HD or International Snooker HD two very sweet games. Snooker is a blast! All of these games have excellent graphics on THE BEST tablet display.
    I have Monopoly HD - It's fabulous! I'll be getting International Snooker HD too... didn't know that one was out.
    12-22-11 08:07 AM
    Bought Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons... they play amazingly on the PlayBook! I'll absolutely be getting Rio too. Very glad these quality games have come to the Playbook.
    12-22-11 08:21 AM
    $15 bucks for all 3 games is way to steep imo. They're free on Android..so why so damn expensive here? If this had been 8 months ago when the game was still popular I could understand..but AB is played out at this point.
    genesimmons likes this.
    12-22-11 08:26 AM
    If it is graphic intensive, then yes. Of course you would expect that, wouldn't you? The PB is not an Android tablet. It runs a different operating system.

Again, what was released today is a native Playbook application, not an Android application running in an emulator. This is the real deal.
    well i dont consider ab a graphic intensive app it played well on my first cheapy and i mean cheapy droid 1.6 tab with 600mgz procecor.why isnt it free like on every other platform????
    12-22-11 08:38 AM
    12-22-11 08:58 AM
    why isnt it free like on every other platform????
    It's not free on every other platform. The price is the same as it is on iTunes for the HD game. The other versions are slightly cheaper, but none are free.

The only free version is the non-HD versions on Android that are ad-supported.
    12-22-11 09:05 AM
    its free on my droid and free on my ipod touch and free on my laptop.i have it on all 3 and they were free on all
    12-22-11 09:12 AM
    This is good news.

Funny to see the folks who are only buying it to "support" RIM. C'mon... you can admit that you like the game!

It's a fun game, and I think it helps the Playbook. Wonder why Rovio didn't do it sooner. Like app-developer, I think the true test is in how many copies they sell.

Don't know about iOS, but it is free on Android (with workarounds to avoid ads). Amazon also offered ad-free versions for free (regularly 99c). Still, I don't think $5 is too bad.

Bottom line is that it is a great game, and it makes the PB look even more valuable.
    12-22-11 09:18 AM
    oh its also free on your pc if u use google chrome.u can install it in the browser.i have a link but i dont use chrome and i have a great version installed on my pc also for free
    12-22-11 09:26 AM
    Went ahead and bought all 3. $15 in the grand scheme of things isn't an issue, and wanted to send a clear signal to the developer that the BB Playbook is a great platform for them!

What I REALLY like is the graphics are really smooth. On the Mot Xoom, there are some frame rate issues once in awhile. Not so on the PB from what I could tell!
    12-22-11 09:35 AM
    So, which is the best version to buy if you've never played angry birds and want to give it a try?
    Acoording to some posters, if you dont buy all 3, youre not a real fan/supporter
    12-22-11 09:53 AM
    Now my holidays will be happy - I'm so downloading this once I get off work, price tag be damned!
    12-22-11 10:23 AM
    This has seriously made my Christmas. Not only because I love the game, but because when my sister unwraps her Playbook at Christmas, she might actually keep it! For the people moaning about the price, isn't as it high as it is because Rovio know we've all been waiting for the game(s) since launch, and they can and obviously have been able to get the extra few pounds/dollars for the games that are apparently cheaper on the iOS platform. Never mind the fact that they can afford to sell a little cheaper there as there are more people that own those devices and so, more money in Rovio's bank account.

If anyone else feels like moaning, instead, thank RIM, thank Rovio, and hope this starts a trend with the other developers, and we might just get some more quality apps on the platform.
    Last edited by Hotdogtree; 12-22-11 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake :P
    12-22-11 11:19 AM
    its free on my droid and free on my ipod touch and free on my laptop.i have it on all 3 and they were free on all
    And all 3 are not the HD version.

Angry Birds HD is $4.99 for iPad. Angry Birds Rio HD and Seasons HD are $2.99 for iPad.

So the only thing you can complain is Rio HD and Seasons HD being $2 more expensive on the Playbook.
    12-22-11 11:32 AM
    And all 3 are not the HD version.

Angry Birds HD is $4.99 for iPad. Angry Birds Rio HD and Seasons HD are $2.99 for iPad.

So the only thing you can complain is Rio HD and Seasons HD being $2 more expensive on the Playbook.
    To be fair, there's also free version of Angry Birds HD on IPad (more like a demo version), and price of Rio HD is $1.99.

To be fair, I think these prices aren't much of concern for PB. Many other apps appear to be a little more expensive on PB than IPad anyway.

I'm willing to pay $1-$2 more than prices on IPad as long as they are quality apps I can get them on my PB.
    12-22-11 11:42 AM
    In less than 24 hours, All 3 Angry Birds games are the top 3 paid apps on the PlayBook. That's nuts!
    12-22-11 11:48 AM
    again i must say i have angry birds on every device i have and they were all free.no adds on any eithr.maybe they cost money now as they are more popular but mine all update for free as well as far as i know
    12-22-11 11:51 AM
    again i must say i have angry birds on every device i have and they were all free.no adds on any eithr.maybe they cost money now as they are more popular but mine all update for free as well as far as i know
    Ok, one more time, with emphasis!

Angry Birds ->"HD"<- (did you see it that time?) is only available from iTunes for $4.99. It is essentially the same game as the original, but with HD-resolution graphics, an improved framerate, and better (albeit slightly) physics and collision detection.

Other versions of the game are free, but the particular one available on App World for PlayBook is not free on any platform.
    llllBULLSEYE and dave1701 like this.
    12-22-11 11:58 AM
    Ok, one more time, with emphasis!

Angry Birds ->"HD"<- (did you see it that time?) is only available from iTunes for $4.99. It is essentially the same game as the original, but with HD-resolution graphics, an improved framerate, and better (albeit slightly) physics and collision detection.

Other versions of the game are free, but the particular one available on App World for PlayBook is not free on any platform.
    Angry Birds HD

fixed it
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    12-22-11 12:05 PM
210 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD