So I found out that there are a lot of basic framework apps already installed on the os2 android app player. We need to somehow figure out how to access the settings page so we can use more of the android features.
    HaTaX sorry to say but this is where your knowledge will come into use. Basically what i did was installed Advanced Task Killer and was able to pull the menu down to see all the installed apps and there you can see everything that is installed. Only thing is I don't know how to open any of the native installed apps maybe you would know better.

Also for those of you trying to remove apps this is probably the best way since some of the sideloaded apps aren't deleting properly (i.e google maps).
    10-19-11 04:22 PM
    Also tried installing your GApps-PB (from the old player) but ofcourse since we can't install side apps without allowing the security feature we are unable to.
    10-19-11 04:25 PM
    Also tried installing your GApps-PB (from the old player) but ofcourse since we can't install side apps without allowing the security feature we are unable to.
    have you tried converting the .apks from the GApps-PB to .bar?
    Was wondering about this earlier today
    10-19-11 04:30 PM
    Thought of that but then they wouldn't run on startup, we'd have to manually start each service. If we can get access to the built in player and configure the settings once everytime we boot up an app it would already know our saved settings.
    10-19-11 04:34 PM
    Pretty much need a way to bring up the players settings menu. I've been searching for an apk no luck if anyone knows of a program the shortcuts to the android settings menu that could potentially be all we need to open a whole new box of tools to play with.
    10-19-11 04:42 PM
    The built in Android browser is accessible via clicking links within the apps. With access to the settings to enable unknown sources, we might just have a shot at getting the market apk installed and runnable - then its all good news from there. Perhaps someone could code a convertable app for android that just features a link to settings and then convert it to pb. Dont know if shortcuts to settings are possible inside an app, are they?
    10-19-11 05:54 PM
    heres the actual settings apk file? would that help?

FileSwap.com : com.android.settings-20100809-151057.tar.gz download free

EDIT: ive had a look around and seems it isn't the real deal, but i've never looked at android before so dont take my word for it!
    Last edited by cones688; 10-19-11 at 06:06 PM.
    10-19-11 06:03 PM
    heres the actual settings apk file? would that help?

FileSwap.com : com.android.settings-20100809-151057.tar.gz download free

EDIT: ive had a look around and seems it isn't the real deal, but i've never looked at android before so dont take my word for it!
    If it isnt the real deal, it wont have the feature we need, thanks alot for trying though! Im still working on gaining access to the settings menu, access to the homescreen may even work - if you press menu on the homescreen you get settings. Either way would work a treat.
    10-19-11 06:08 PM
    Been working all day, but hopefully I'll get a chance to hack a bit tonight and see what I can find.

Word of warning to everyone, if I come across something cool that RIM could potentially patch before the real release of OS 2.0 I will most likely keep it VERY quiet. You can all take a guess as to why that is.

So if someone wants to take a quick shot at packaging up a Settings.APK file from the original AP that was released in July, I've attached it to this post. Convert it and see what happens, I'm honestly not sure if it will work or not, but it's the closest thing we have to what would be baked into the OS itself.

Haven't even loaded up the new android signing tools, but I do have my signing keys already in place, so it should be easy enough to get setup for loading apps quickly.

Love projects!!!!
    cones688 and Erandhawa like this.
    10-19-11 06:15 PM
    Been working all day, but hopefully I'll get a chance to hack a bit tonight and see what I can find.

Word of warning to everyone, if I come across something cool that RIM could potentially patch before the real release of OS 2.0 I will most likely keep it VERY quiet. You can all take a guess as to why that is.

So if someone wants to take a quick shot at packaging up a Settings.APK file from the original AP that was released in July, I've attached it to this post. Convert it and see what happens, I'm honestly not sure if it will work or not, but it's the closest thing we have to what would be baked into the OS itself.

Haven't even loaded up the new android signing tools, but I do have my signing keys already in place, so it should be easy enough to get setup for loading apps quickly.

Love projects!!!!
    Genius, dont have access to a PC at the moment, will await someone else trying this. I doubt it will repackage due to access to core files or possible native sdk development, my guesses are that RIM stopped that. Worth a try though! Thanks dude
    10-19-11 06:19 PM

Love projects!!!!
    Attempting now. I'll post an update shortly.
    10-19-11 06:59 PM
    Got it packaged in a bar file and it works. Ok so Accessing the Accounts & Sync prompts me with:

The requessed setting is not supported by the blakberry playbook tablet

But I can check the Unknown Sources Box so maybe I can load HaTaX's files from before. I'll keep you all posted back to work. I do have astro installed for everyones info.
    10-19-11 07:02 PM
    And stumped again. Now when I try to load an APK through the player I get:

For security, your device is set to block installation of application not obtained from Blackberry App World.

What do you think HaTaX, converting all your files from the GApps zip to bar files would work? I am thinking it wouldn't since it wouldn't load them on startup or maybe its just a one time setup we'd have to do and it would work fine thereafter?
    10-19-11 07:07 PM
    Hmm, actually I was thinking that might actually work. When the APKs install, they should try to install themselves in a manner that will have them booting up automatically with the AP. All the APKs I made are system signed so they should be able to pass things along to startup and make minor changes.

There's a lot of google apps and such that rely on this framework, we'll have to figure out some way of getting it loaded if we want to enjoy certain apps on the PB. There's also a "SettingsProvider.apk" that I didn't include.... Hmmm, just had a thought... Give me a minute.
    10-19-11 09:16 PM
    Well, the setting we need to change is modifiable from the Settings.apk and there is a database back end that goes with SettingsProvider.apk as well. The string that tells the system if files can be installed outside of "Market" (They renamed that to App World) is "INSTALL_NON_MARKET_APPS".

Perhaps this can be tweaked to allow easier install of apps, and it may also not be needed either. Thought I'd post up what I was thinking though, maybe we do need the settingsprovider file as well as the settings, or maybe they've locked down the DB so we can't modify it...
    danield76 likes this.
    10-19-11 09:44 PM
    Not sure if this is helpful, but I found a way to directly access the settings page on the Android player without any hacks....

I discovered the email access using Task Killer Pro (see link http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...player-662759/) and thought I would look around for something more along these lines... in Astro File Manager under Tools, you are able to select and open running apps in the Android player, including the settings page (see attached screen shots below)... I was able to check the box that allow side loading of Android apps on the earlier leak (sys.android.bar) by allowing apps from "Unknown sources", however, I haven't tried the functionality yet...

I've attached a series of screenshots, including the error message I received when I tried to access "Accounts & sync"... "The requested setting is not supported by the Blackberry PlayBook Tablet"

I'll try direct side loading of one the Android apps I tested on the previous release to see if this works (using Astro)
    10-20-11 12:01 AM
    I'll see if there's a settings apk file included in the 2.0 sys.android.bar file when I re-download 2.0 from the DM. I managed to save most of the 2.0 bar files to my hard drive, but the sys.android.bar file and a few others eluded me.

Also, I found a file named Apk2Bar_compatibility_excepts.xml included with the command line repackaging tools. Would this be of any use for this endeavor?

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <CompatibilityExcepts qnxTargetVersion="1.0.7.2670-52084" androidPlayerVersion="2.0.0_dev-166" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="Apk2Bar_compatibility_excepts.xsd">
    <!-- impact levels: 1 = warning; 2, 3, 4 = context-wise; 5 = stopper -->
    	<badging-features>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.audio.low_latency</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.bluetooth</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.bluetooth</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.camera</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.Camera</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.camera.autofocus</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.camera.flash</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.camera.front</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.software.live_wallpaper</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.software.service.wallpaper</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.microphone</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.nfc</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.nfc</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.sensor</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.Sensor</feature>
    		<!-- <feature impact="2">android.hardware.sensor.barometer</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.sensor.light</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.sensor.proximity</feature> -->
    		<feature impact="2">android.software.sip</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.software.sip.voip</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.telephony</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.telephony.cdma</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.telephony.gsm</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.jazzhand</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">com.android.vending</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">com.google.android.c2dm</feature>
    		<feature impact="2">com.google.android.maps</feature> 
    		<feature impact="2">com.google.android.tts</feature> 
    	</badging-features>
    	<badging-intent impact="5">app-widget</badging-intent>    <!-- Only if 'main' intent is not present. -->
    	<dex-method-access impact="5">NATIVE</dex-method-access>   <!-- If *.so presence also detected, otherwise impact=1 will be reported. -->
    	<badging-uses-lib impact="4">uses-library</badging-uses-lib>    <!-- 'uses-library-not-required' is ignored. --> 
    	<badging-minSdkVersion impact="5">10</badging-minSdkVersion>    <!-- badging may show 'sdkVersion' while target should be equal or above. --> 
    	<badging-maxSdkVersion impact="4">10</badging-maxSdkVersion>    <!-- badging may show 'maxSdkVersion' while target should be equal or below -->
    	<badging-targetSdkVersion impact="1">10</badging-targetSdkVersion>    <!-- badging may show 'targetSdkVersion' while target should be equal --> 
    	<badging-launchable-count impact="4">1</badging-launchable-count>    <!-- only 1 badging launchable activity permitted. --> 
    	<badging-uses-config impact="4">
    		<reqFiveWayNav>true</reqFiveWayNav>
    		<reqHardKeyboard>1|0</reqHardKeyboard>
    		<reqKeyboardType>qwerty|twelvekey</reqKeyboardType>   <!-- 1|qwerty -means only if reqHardKeyboard is true; 0|twelvekey -means not supported at all -->
    		<reqNavigation>dpad|trackball|wheel</reqNavigation>
    	</badging-uses-config>
    	<badging-uses-perm>
    		<!-- signature -->
    		<permission impact="1">ACCESS_SURFACE_FLINGER</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">ACCOUNT_MANAGER</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">BIND_DEVICE_ADMIN</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">BIND_INPUT_METHOD</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">BRICK</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">BROADCAST_PACKAGE_REMOVED</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">BROADCAST_SMS</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">BROADCAST_WAP_PUSH</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">CHANGE_COMPONENT_ENABLED_STATE</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">CLEAR_APP_USER_DATA</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">DEVICE_POWER</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">DIAGNOSTIC</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">FACTORY_TEST</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">FORCE_BACK</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">HARDWARE_TEST</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">INJECT_EVENTS</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">INTERNAL_SYSTEM_WINDOW</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">MANAGE_APP_TOKENS</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">READ_FRAME_BUFFER</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">READ_INPUT_STATE</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">SET_ACTIVITY_WATCHER</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">SET_ORIENTATION</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">SET_PREFERRED_APPLICATIONS</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">UPDATE_DEVICE_STATS</permission>
    	<!-- signature or System -->	
    		<permission impact="1">ACCESS_CHECKIN_PROPERTIES</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">BIND_APPWIDGET</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">BIND_REMOTEVIEWS</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">BIND_WALLPAPER</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">CALL_PRIVILEGED</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">CONTROL_LOCATION_UPDATES</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">DELETE_CACHE_FILES</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">DELETE_PACKAGES</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">GLOBAL_SEARCH</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">INSTALL_LOCATION_PROVIDER</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">INSTALL_PACKAGES</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">MASTER_CLEAR</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">REBOOT</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">SET_TIME</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">STATUS_BAR</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">WRITE_GSERVICES</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS</permission>
    	<!-- dangerous -->
    		<permission impact="1">BLUETOOTH_ADMIN</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">CHANGE_CONFIGURATION</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">CHANGE_NETWORK_STATE</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">CHANGE_WIFI_MULTICAST_STATE</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">CHANGE_WIFI_STATE</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">CLEAR_APP_CACHE</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">DUMP</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">GET_TASKS</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">MODIFY_PHONE_STATE</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">MOUNT_FORMAT_FILESYSTEMS</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">MOUNT_UNMOUNT_FILESYSTEMS</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">PERSISTENT_ACTIVITY</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">REORDER_TASKS</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">SET_ANIMATION_SCALE</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">SET_PROCESS_LIMIT</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">SET_TIME_ZONE</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">SIGNAL_PERSISTENT_PROCESSES</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">WRITE_APN_SETTINGS</permission>
    	<!-- normal -->
    		<permission impact="1">KILL_BACKGROUND_PROCESSES</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">RESTART_PACKAGES</permission>
    		<permission impact="1">SET_WALLPAPER</permission>
    		<permission impact="4">SET_WALLPAPER_HINTS</permission>
    	</badging-uses-perm>
    	<dex-packages>
    		<package impact="1">com.android.vending</package>
    		<package impact="4">com.google.android.c2dm</package>
    		<package impact="3">com.google.android.maps</package>
    		<package impact="4">com.google.android.tts</package>
    	</dex-packages>
    	<dex-methods>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$getVibrateSetting</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$isBluetoothA2dpOn</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$isBluetoothScoOn</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$setBluetoothA2dpOn</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$setBluetoothScoOn </method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$setRingerMode</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$setRouting</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$setVibrateSetting</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$shouldVibrate</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$startBluetoothSco</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.AudioManager$stopBluetoothSco</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.MediaPlayer$attachAuxEffect</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.MediaPlayer$setAudioStreamType</method>
    		<method impact="1">android.media.MediaPlayer$setAuxEffectSendLevel</method>
    	</dex-methods>
    </CompatibilityExcepts>
    Last edited by OniMessiah; 10-20-11 at 12:11 AM.
    10-20-11 12:05 AM

I'll try direct side loading of one the Android apps I tested on the previous release to see if this works (using Astro)
    ...no luck... same error message already reported when I tried direct side loading in the Andoid player using Astro file manager (even after having checked the "Unknown sources" box)
    10-20-11 12:56 AM
    using astro i was able to get to /system/app/ and run many different system apps such as service, email, calendar, gallery, and what looks like a rim app called development the browser is in there too.
    I have been trying to find a terminal emulator or something that will let me get su etc...
    then the apk's can be replaced in /system/app
    i'm not sure if this is the right way to go about things, but its the first thing I've tried so far.
    some other things i was thinking might help is the root apps for 2.3.3 that you can get for other systems, apk's that can be built into bar's maybe.
    10-20-11 03:18 AM
    using astro i was able to get to /system/app/ and run many different system apps such as service, email, calendar, gallery, and what looks like a rim app called development the browser is in there too.
    I have been trying to find a terminal emulator or something that will let me get su etc...
    then the apk's can be replaced in /system/app
    i'm not sure if this is the right way to go about things, but its the first thing I've tried so far.
    some other things i was thinking might help is the root apps for 2.3.3 that you can get for other systems, apk's that can be built into bar's maybe.
    Gingerbreak apk rooting app worth a try? Its on xda somewhere. Problem is it is possibly phone specific or something. Hatax, is there any way to attempt side loading an app via adb? We're so close guys, keep up the good work Also, hatax, fiddle with settingsprovider.apk and whatever else could be held it might just get us through. Would be awesome if one day we can just run android with home screens etc from inside the player haha
    10-20-11 04:06 AM
    rooting then hacking the bootloader and installing android wholesale on the device would be a worthy end goal imo . but yeah, i'll see what i can do with getting a prompt with root privs. that is what will bring us closer to unlocking a full android vm on this thing. since we will then be able to overwrite system files etc..
    anon(490042) likes this.
    10-20-11 04:32 AM
    rooting then hacking the bootloader and installing android wholesale on the device would be a worthy end goal imo . but yeah, i'll see what i can do with getting a prompt with root privs. that is what will bring us closer to unlocking a full android vm on this thing. since we will then be able to overwrite system files etc..
    Let us know via pm if you get anywhere amazing, don't want any holes filled up by RIM. A whole VM would be amazing, only reason RIM stopped it is because people would just use the market and never buy apps from app world.
    10-20-11 04:50 AM
    You guys can you like legit keep me up to date? here's me email : mkaa00x@live.co.uk

pst also ... mkaa00x@gmail.com or mkaa@live.co.uk
    12-16-11 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD