The title says it all. The latest update broke the side-loaded Android player!!
    LimeTripBlog likes this.
    08-24-11 10:29 AM
    I can confirm that. Somewhat expected but still disappointing.
    08-24-11 10:34 AM
    Heh. I guess RIM wants to keep the player within Waterloo until it's ready to be released. As said, not surprising really. The question is can we work around this block?
    08-24-11 11:06 AM
    RIM is beginning to act like Apple. This is "my" Playbook once I hand over the $$$ and I should be able to do whatever I want to with it. Anyone know if I delete the Android app whether the programs delete too? Since I can't now launch Android player I can't delete the apps I put on it. Now I have to go back to reading Kindle on their crappy Cloud Reader. I am a RIM fan from way back, but I am now beginning to have second thoughts. These slooooow updates with very little new functionality are killing me and now this Android BS is really alienating some of their most loyal customers. How dumb are these guys?
    OnTopic likes this.
    08-24-11 11:46 AM
    RIM is playing such a silly game not delivering any important app for PlayBook Users. We are just a fool spending our money for PlayBook just because of we love BlackBerry. No Native Twitter, Skype, MSN, GTalk etc etc which are very basis requirement. We are all happy when we have Android Player just to use all those basis app. We need Android Player if RIM can't deliver all the important app. Again I am still thinking why we are still dreaming of BlackBerry PlayBook to get better and deliver. if RIM keep doing this way, there will be a lot people leaving silently without even saying a word of their disappointment. But I am still dreaming RIM would change their attitude.

update - the feature of using bridge for internet connection without wifi may cause this issues. see another thread
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2942-a-642316/

Thanks RIM for that bridge connection.
    Last edited by Thetnaung; 08-24-11 at 01:16 PM.
    08-24-11 11:48 AM
    Thanks for posting this my friend, I've decided not to update. I would like to keep the android player. And I completely agree with every one here Rim needs to get the above mentioned apps asap. My friends always say that I've made a big mistake buying the pb. Should have bought an Ipad.
    OnTopic likes this.
    08-24-11 12:01 PM
    Same here - Android crashes. Any changes one can downgrade the PB firmware? I finally started to use my PB more with apps via the player, but that has now been put aside...

Btw: Like the title in the post from Thetnaung: "RIM - Rest in Motion"
    08-24-11 12:03 PM
    RIM is beginning to act like Apple. This is "my" Playbook once I hand over the $$$ and I should be able to do whatever I want to with it. Anyone know if I delete the Android app whether the programs delete too? Since I can't now launch Android player I can't delete the apps I put on it. Now I have to go back to reading Kindle on their crappy Cloud Reader. I am a RIM fan from way back, but I am now beginning to have second thoughts. These slooooow updates with very little new functionality are killing me and now this Android BS is really alienating some of their most loyal customers. How dumb are these guys?
    You can delete the Android player like any other app. I don't know if that deletes the Android apps you installed, though. It might, if it deletes any associated directories. But if you want to be sure everything is gone, you can do a backup and then reinstall the OS.

I'm as disappointed as anyone with the loss of the player, solely for the Kindle app, but I can't really work up any outrage about it. It was a leaked beta, after all, and there's no way to know how it might smeg up future OS versions. We were lucky to have it for a while as a "proof of concept" but RIM certainly didn't owe us continued compatibility with it.
    Alberta Blue and grover5 like this.
    08-24-11 12:06 PM
    I am not updating either. The Android Player trumps anything that RIM 'fixed' with this update.
    08-24-11 12:06 PM
    Not too disappointed yet about losing it.. BUT I NEED RDP for the native os already.

i was using it in the droid player.
    08-24-11 12:11 PM
    Same here - Android crashes. Any changes one can downgrade the PB firmware? I finally started to use my PB more with apps via the player, but that has now been put aside...

Btw: Like the title in the post from Thetnaung: "RIM - Rest in Motion"
    Rest in motion We should post it in RIM's Facebook Pagehttps://www.facebook.com/BlackBerry?...81423295211294
    08-24-11 12:14 PM
    wow me and my anxious self quickly updated before checking the forums!! damn i was doing so good on the drag racing game! up to level 9!!
    08-24-11 01:04 PM
    I guess people actually expected RIM to maintain continuous backwards compatibility with an unreleased, pre-beta android player...
    grover5 and Mojoski like this.
    08-24-11 01:11 PM
    I guess people actually expected RIM to maintain continuous backwards compatibility with an unreleased, pre-beta android player...
    I was thinking the same thing.
    08-24-11 01:17 PM
    Well it depends..... If the reason that the player isn't working is a side effect of a fis it's one thing. IF RIM purposefully went out and found a way of disabling the player from working then YES I expect that RIM has no business controlling what I can and can't run on my device. After all I BOUGHT the tablet I DIDN'T rent it.
    LimeTripBlog likes this.
    08-24-11 01:22 PM
    Well it depends..... If the reason that the player isn't working is a side effect of a fis it's one thing. IF RIM purposefully went out and found a way of disabling the player from working then YES I expect that RIM has no business controlling what I can and can't run on my device. After all I BOUGHT the tablet I DIDN'T rent it.
    Oh, i didn't know it was tinfoil hat time already...
    08-24-11 01:22 PM
    The Android App player was never meant to be released to the public. If I remember correctly, the site was listed by accident in documentation for a DM update.

And why are you taking all your hate out on RIMM? I'm sorry to tell you, but you never completely own tech anymore. Look at the people who try to load a different OS on their XBox's and Playstations. If I remember correctly, one person was taken to trial (and lost) for posting how to put Linux on his PS3. The DMCA is a very powerful law for the developers of the hardware/software and you as an end-user has no say over what you can put on it.
    08-24-11 01:32 PM
    To be fair I have enjoyed using the few apps i have tried on android player. However I purchased a PlayBook not an Android so anything that improves my user experience, such as access to all apps through bridge without having to tether is a clear step in the right direction.

We all know Android player is coming. I am more than content with what is in the pipeline. Lets give RIM a break and give credit where it is due. Rather than slating for an non functional app we shouldn't have even had the privilege of being able to use.
    08-24-11 01:40 PM
    People always say this, yet they somehow always agree to the EULA that states that RIM has that right.

Anyhoo, I don't think it was for nefarious intentions. This new update must have changed something in the underlying code because the Facebook app kept crashing on me until I realized that there was a slight update for it and now it works fine again. Also apps can now use Bridge to access data.
    08-24-11 01:54 PM
    Can you cite the case, I'd like to read it. A simple google brings up 100's of pages on how to install Linux on a PS3 post the 3.21 FW update. I know of no section of the DCMA that would bar me from installing an OS on any hardware that I own. If DCMA was used to take down a page I would venture that the page contained proprietary information that the poster didn't have a right to disclose. That's a different matter.

Think about what you are implying. Dell would be able to work a deal with MS and the sue you for NOT using windows.... Doesn't work that way..... I WOULD love to read the case though.....
    08-24-11 02:00 PM
    I'd like to think that RIM took out Android Player compatibility because they intend to release it legit very soon, but my pessimism is starting to creep in.
    08-24-11 02:07 PM
    We'll according to HataX, they did purposefully disable the Android player:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2942-a-642316/
    08-24-11 02:19 PM
    Yeah, im surprised there are idiots out there that dont think that perhaps the reason it dosnt work is NOT because RIM wants to be like apple but because the update simply changed code that accidentally broke the android emulator.

But no. No one on earth is dumb enough to be jumping to random baseless conclusions.
    08-24-11 02:24 PM
    Now what was that about tin foil ?????? YUP RIM has our best interests in mind .... NOT! The joke is that the collective programming community is 100x bigger, faster, and collectively more capable than ANY one company can control. Consider what a handful of gifted programmers have been able to do OUTSIDE of RIM's controls. Not only with the PB but with general hybrid OS releases for our phones. Looks like RIM will be no different than Apple when it comes to the playbook that they use on customers.
    08-24-11 02:34 PM
    Yo 'doe follow the link..... nothing 'accidental' about them killing the AP. I've learned my lessons though. I don't update now until a few days go by and others pave the way for me.
    08-24-11 02:38 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD