Now what was that about tin foil ?????? YUP RIM has our best interests in mind .... NOT! The joke is that the collective programming community is 100x bigger, faster, and collectively more capable than ANY one company can control. Consider what a handful of gifted programmers have been able to do OUTSIDE of RIM's controls. Not only with the PB but with general hybrid OS releases for our phones. Looks like RIM will be no different than Apple when it comes to the playbook that they use on customers.
    If they are blocking a beta version of something they developed and was mistakenly leaked then so what? They made it and they have not officially released it yet. It isn't yours.
    howarmat likes this.
    08-24-11 02:39 PM
    does deleting the player automatically delete everything associated with it?
    08-24-11 02:50 PM
    How do you KNOW it was a mistake? There seem to be quite a few people who believe that RIM leaked it on purpose to either expand the testing platform or to quiet the noise about the lack of apps.
    08-24-11 02:52 PM
    How do you KNOW it was a mistake? There seem to be quite a few people who believe that RIM leaked it on purpose to either expand the testing platform or to quiet the noise about the lack of apps.
    So now you're wearing an entire suit of tin foil armor...

I'm really sure they desperately wanted to expand the testing pool when they already had a slated beta phase specifically for that purpose with an actual build and support system in place to actually collect feedback...
    08-24-11 03:22 PM
    RIM is beginning to act like Apple. This is "my" Playbook once I hand over the $$$ and I should be able to do whatever I want to with it. Anyone know if I delete the Android app whether the programs delete too? Since I can't now launch Android player I can't delete the apps I put on it. Now I have to go back to reading Kindle on their crappy Cloud Reader. I am a RIM fan from way back, but I am now beginning to have second thoughts. These slooooow updates with very little new functionality are killing me and now this Android BS is really alienating some of their most loyal customers. How dumb are these guys?
    You can do whatever you want with it.
    Go ahead and make your own OS and your own software.
    Have fun.
    LWJoubert likes this.
    08-24-11 03:28 PM
    Well it depends..... If the reason that the player isn't working is a side effect of a fis it's one thing. IF RIM purposefully went out and found a way of disabling the player from working then YES I expect that RIM has no business controlling what I can and can't run on my device. After all I BOUGHT the tablet I DIDN'T rent it.
    We don't actually have any evidence that RIM purposefully killed the ability to use the leaked player, but many of you on this thread sure seemed to assume that was the case. I don't think that is really fair to RIM.

UPDATE: I see now that Hatax has uncovered evidence that the Android Player was purposefully disabled by RIM in this build. That is pretty lame to do. Not sure what their motivation would have been. /UPDATE

Personally, the ability for all the third party apps to use the bridge network connection is well worth giving up the leaked, somewhat buggy Android Player, for my use cases at least. Can you say, "Goodbye tethering charges!"

Hopefully we'll see the release of the Android Player soon and have the best of both worlds. I saw some tweets from a guy who had breakfast with his buddy from RIM a couple weeks ago and he said the player has come a really long way since the leaked version and that it was due in mid-Sept.. Here's hoping!

My question for you guys is this.. Can I just delete the Android player as I would any app, or do I need to go delete a bunch of stuff off of my storage as well in order to completely get rid of this old player that doesn't work any more?
    Last edited by Mojoski; 08-24-11 at 04:02 PM.
    08-24-11 03:51 PM
    You can delete the Android player like any other app. I don't know if that deletes the Android apps you installed, though. It might, if it deletes any associated directories. But if you want to be sure everything is gone, you can do a backup and then reinstall the OS.

I'm as disappointed as anyone with the loss of the player, solely for the Kindle app, but I can't really work up any outrage about it. It was a leaked beta, after all, and there's no way to know how it might smeg up future OS versions. We were lucky to have it for a while as a "proof of concept" but RIM certainly didn't owe us continued compatibility with it.
    I downloaded the Android Player and a few apps, but had already deleted them as I was willing to wait for the official release. with the Bridge working well for me, even before this latest release and upgrade, native mail wasn't the compulsion it first was. As for Kindle, have you tried the new Kindle Cloud Reader? It works on the PB. https://read.amazon.com/
    08-24-11 04:07 PM
    I downloaded the Android Player and a few apps, but had already deleted them as I was willing to wait for the official release. with the Bridge working well for me, even before this latest release and upgrade, native mail wasn't the compulsion it first was. As for Kindle, have you tried the new Kindle Cloud Reader? It works on the PB. https://read.amazon.com/
    Yes, I like Kindle Cloud, but there are some books that I need to annotate pretty heavily and the Android app let me do so; Cloud doesn't. The BB app doesn't either.
    08-24-11 06:31 PM
    Oh well... It was fun... Anyway, I'm pretty sure there's more fun comming along the way... New leaks will surface, and I'll be here to try them all...
    08-29-11 10:28 PM
    Just seen this thread and wondered why AP had stopped working Oh well, hopefully 2.0 isnt far away

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 04:44 PM
    Do we have to jailbreak now???
    10-16-11 09:37 AM
    Do we have to jailbreak now???
    *palm face*

how many times do we have to say it. you cant jail break a SECURE device like a blackberry
    10-16-11 01:33 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD