So here's something for anyone wanting to take a closer look at the files used in the Android Player on OS 2.0, and maybe even for the brave, you can try loading it on OS 1.0.7. BIG warning here, if you're willing to do it, you're on your own as I have no clue what it will do on OS 1.0.7. Nothing I'm sure a de-brick maneuver couldn't fix, but you've been warned.

Otherwise only people really digging into the Android Player will be interested by this.

This is a signed BAR file that I just test loaded on my OS 2.0 PB and it loaded up fine, so the bar file is complete and signed properly.

sys.android.bar

Let us know if you try it on OS 1.0.7, if it does work then it could be a huge boon for those not wanting to upgrade, but want the Android Player.
    Last edited by HaTaX; 10-20-11 at 03:03 AM.
    10-20-11 02:59 AM
    So here's something for anyone wanting to take a closer look at the files used in the Android Player on OS 2.0, and maybe even for the brave, you can try loading it on OS 1.0.7. BIG warning here, if you're willing to do it, you're on your own as I have no clue what it will do on OS 1.0.7. Nothing I'm sure a de-brick maneuver couldn't fix, but you've been warned.

Otherwise only people really digging into the Android Player will be interested by this.

This is a signed BAR file that I just test loaded on my OS 2.0 PB and it loaded up fine, so the bar file is complete and signed properly.

sys.android.bar

Let us know if you try it on OS 1.0.7, if it does work then it could be a huge boon for those not wanting to upgrade, but want the Android Player.
    Hi how did you get os 2.0?
    10-20-11 03:17 AM
    i imagine this would allow me to install the android marketplace and a few of the free apps directly without having to convert them. im attempting this now
    10-20-11 03:44 AM
    I just tried this on 1.0.7.3312 and have it installed on PB - unfortunately, can't open any app. Beside sys.android.bar (app player), is there anything else that should be installed?
    10-20-11 08:34 AM
    I just tried this on 1.0.7.3312 and have it installed on PB - unfortunately, can't open any app. Beside sys.android.bar (app player), is there anything else that should be installed?
    try installing some android apps

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-631759/
    10-20-11 09:23 AM
    10-20-11 09:25 AM
    Sorry if not explained you well - I have installed app player and cca 10 apps (which are tested and proved that working on OS2). All I have are apps icons on PB screen, but neither one is functioning, can't start any of apps. That's why I asked, if something else has to be install onto PB, beside Android app player, extracted from OS 2 beta.
    10-20-11 09:58 AM
    Sorry if not explained you well - I have installed app player and cca 10 apps (which are tested and proved that working on OS2). All I have are apps icons on PB screen, but neither one is functioning, can't start any of apps. That's why I asked, if something else has to be install onto PB, beside Android app player, extracted from OS 2 beta.
    same thing happen here. the apps are installed but its not even functioning. any clue??
    10-20-11 10:08 AM
    Just did security wipe and fresh os install. With DDBP and/or PB installer, any bar file can installed onto playbook., but with no functionality. After installing sys.android.bar, it cannot be seen anywhere in the playbook and it seems, Android app player has no connectivity with Android bar files. In one word, here posted sys.android.bar doesn't work!
    10-20-11 02:33 PM
    Sounds like it won't work with 1.0.7 then, that's too bad. I do know that the new version of AP doesn't have an icon for the base system anymore, so that's probably why you don't see them. Apparently the portion of the AP that installs the icons isn't present in 1.0.7 or at least works differently then it does on OS 2.0.
    10-20-11 03:29 PM
    Sounds like it won't work with 1.0.7 then, that's too bad. I do know that the new version of AP doesn't have an icon for the base system anymore, so that's probably why you don't see them. Apparently the portion of the AP that installs the icons isn't present in 1.0.7 or at least works differently then it does on OS 2.0.
    too bad, I was hoping for some android action in 1.0.7, thanks for the effort HaTaX
    10-20-11 08:57 PM

sys.android.bar

Hi HaTaX!
    May you show me how to take BAR file on Playbook?
    Pls, show me how
    10-22-11 05:24 PM
    @hatax which app did u use the extract the .bar off the playbook, i cant fiind any app that can do it...
    10-26-11 02:04 PM
    Maaaaybe try installing the android app player, as well as a launcher found in the sticky and try launching that?

I assumed that the os directed apps to the android player, if that's the case, you couldn't open any android apps without your operating system making the android app/android player association. I really don't understand how the playbooks packaging system, or anything really, works though. That's just how I assumed it worked.
    10-26-11 02:29 PM
    Stupid question. Have you tried downloading an App through the Amazon Marketplace within the Android BAR and tried installing it from there?
    jarekb likes this.
    10-27-11 05:08 PM
    from my impression, you cant even enter the android app player as there is no homescreen icon
    10-27-11 07:33 PM
    It doesn't surprise me that it doesn't work in 1.0.7; this version of sys.android.bar was created with the 2.0 NDK.
    10-28-11 07:27 PM
    I suspect that there's more to the Android player on 2.0 than just the application/BAR. It's integrated with the OS, while the runtime is stored in an executable, there's probably some kind of procedure for launching apps within that executable.
    phonegeek#AC likes this.
    10-28-11 07:36 PM
    im running Beta 2.0 OS on my PB, I've tried to install the Android player multiple times (following step by step instructions) DDPB says that the install is done and I still don't get the icon. I even tried multiple files that I downloaded from different sources including this one that HaTax posted. Any ideas?
    10-30-11 08:15 AM
    You're not meant to install Android Player on 2.0

2.0 comes with Android Player built-in and no icon is ever shown.

Install Android apps and then the apps get their own icon.
    10-30-11 08:17 AM
    @hatax which app did u use the extract the .bar off the playbook, i cant fiind any app that can do it...
    Simple. Download any Android file manager (like Astro). Then, go to the /accounts/1000/appdata/sys.android.blah.ns/
    Then zip everything inside the app folder (META-INF, native folders). Then rename the zip to sys.android.bar.
    10-30-11 08:19 AM
    im running Beta 2.0 OS on my PB, I've tried to install the Android player multiple times (following step by step instructions) DDPB says that the install is done and I still don't get the icon. I even tried multiple files that I downloaded from different sources including this one that HaTax posted. Any ideas?
    Just to make sure you are clear, OS2 beta comes with the latest Android Player already preinstalled. If you installed another Android Player on OS2 then you've likely just signed yourself up for a needed Security Wipe before any Android apps will work for you.. Also, the player itself no longer has its own icon. It just gets started whenever you run an Android app on your PB..

Good luck!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    10-30-11 08:29 AM
    You're not meant to install Android Player on 2.0

2.0 comes with Android Player built-in and no icon is ever shown.

Install Android apps and then the apps get their own icon.
    I already installed a few apps (Winamp, Kindle, pandora) I can see the icons there, I thought I was going to see the android player icon. that's where I was confused. Thanks
    10-30-11 08:35 AM
    so i only need to install .bar files via DDPB and for example skype and it should work? or do i hav to do anything else?

thx
    11-01-11 05:52 AM
    Message moved to appropriate forum. Sorry
    Last edited by astro49; 11-04-11 at 11:11 PM.
    11-04-11 11:07 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD