I am sure you other guys and gals have found this too, but multitasking works on the android player. I can listen to tunes on Napster and play Words With Friends at the same time. I also think that IM+ Pro is working in the background too. I also get notifications (yes, the same kind of notifications as app world provides) whenever the napster track changes, showing the track and artist. Very cool.

Last edited by ODAAT; 07-27-11 at 06:39 AM.
    b5m and M.Rizk like this.
    07-27-11 05:46 AM
    Yes, I multitask Pandora via the Android player myself.
    07-27-11 08:20 AM
    how can you open another app when one is already opened ?
    07-27-11 08:34 AM
    Slide back to the home screen using the bottom bezel then just select another app ( you might have to change the view again). When you open the new app, the old one seems to stay running in the background. To access it again, just go back to the home screen again.
    07-27-11 08:40 AM
    Having said that, it seemed to use up my battery like stink (and quite a lot of my memory too). I am sure this will improve once they tweak the app player some more.
    Last edited by ODAAT; 07-27-11 at 08:57 AM.
    07-27-11 08:48 AM
    Slide back to the home screen using the bottom bezel then just select another app ( you might have to change the view again). When you open the new app, the old one seems to stay running in the background. To access it again, just go back to the home screen again.
    I thought the slide back actually closed the app.

If it doesn't do it, how do you close an app ? (most apps don't have the quit option)

07-27-11 11:26 AM
    Presumably you close the app by closing the app player. You have to remember this isn't exactly finished, nor did it come with instructions )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 11:29 AM
    One of the many "issues" with Android - unless you use a "task killer" app, you can't close apps, you only push them to the background. It's one of the reasons you need such powerful processors while still experiencing lag often on the phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 11:29 AM
    you don't need a bloody task killer. the apps go to a "cached" state and don't use the battery or CPU unless the app specifically needs to, like running pandora in the background while you browse the web. Android does a good job of managing applications. Very similar to blackberry actually. You can always force close an app if needed but its not normal practice at all
    07-27-11 11:40 AM
    anyone have a working version of pandora, i could not get mine to work past the opening screen
    07-27-11 12:07 PM
    One of the many "issues" with Android - unless you use a "task killer" app, you can't close apps, you only push them to the background. It's one of the reasons you need such powerful processors while still experiencing lag often on the phones.
    Nope, incorrect. By convention, Android apps are either moved to the background via the Home button, or halted via the Back button.

Moving it to the background via the Home button tells the OS that you wish to keep the app in memory, continue to operate if there's any processes to be done, and hold that portion of memory until specifically told otherwise by the user.

Halting the app via the back button tells the OS to send the app to the background, at which time it leaves it there until such time the user chooses to use that app again and it's already available ready to go, or memory is needed for another task at which time it will then purge the app from memory to accommodate the new task.

An app sitting in memory with no running processes doesn't bog the device down at all since just sitting there in memory doesn't utilize any of the cpu. What it does do, is allow the OS to only utilize cpu cycles and memory when absolutely needed. Whenever I see an android user who's phone lags, it's almost always due to them habitually using the Home button to exit apps.

As Howarmart mentioned above, Task Killers are not needed. And in many cases they're the source of problems.
    07-27-11 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD