I've tried for the first time to install Android Player in my BB Playbook as per instructions given by HaTaX. It installed correctly but it is not starting up. I've the same problem as TerribleTim68. I've tried to reinstall it by deleting the earlier installation. But the problem is remaining same. It doesn't open.

Is it true that in the new update version 1.0.7.2942 Android Player will not work? Is there any workaround? Plz Help.
    09-01-11 10:28 AM
    Which OS version do you have installed on your playbook?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Oh crap. I just went through back pages of this thread and saw that the new build broke the app player. Guess I was living under a rock.

Thanks for your help tho.
    09-01-11 11:06 AM
    Is there any work around if you have OS Version 1.0.7.2942 already installed on your PB? Or is there a way to downgrade the OS to an older OS?
    09-05-11 04:48 PM
    One of the cons of the OTA upgrade method.
    09-10-11 01:50 PM
    i think we will always have the option to side load apps even if rim tries to prevent us. we have both the amazon and android marketplace to choose from. highly likely the reason we are waiting for a release is so rim can try to lock down the android app player. by default it would run everything. in essence they are trying to break it in a controlled manner.
    09-10-11 08:16 PM
    I just got a PlayBook and the initial set up wants to do a software update and there seems no way to cancel this - is there a way to skip it so I stay at an OS level that is compatible with the Android Player?
    09-11-11 01:55 PM
    The signature requirement on the bootloader keeps it from booting an unauthorized kernel or modified ROM, but it doesn't prevent root access inside the QNX os. The micro-kernel is locked down by the bootloader, but the os is running on top of that.

Rooting has been turned into a general term with all of that on the Android devices. And on Android devices it's typically achieved with loading a completely different ROM image as that's the easiest for end users. Never going to be an option for us because of the signature issue you mention. But there is root access inside the existing os, heck even the built in HTTP/S server running on it is run under the root user context as well as other services.

Hope that clears up specifically what I'm referring to when I mean root access.
    I was out of town for a while so it took me a minute to get back and read this. Thanks very much for your response, it definitely helps clear that up. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Keep up the good work bro

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 09:45 AM
    thank you hatax
    Last edited by Tho26; 09-27-11 at 06:02 PM.
    09-27-11 05:57 PM
    You guys living under a rock? The new build broke the Android Player
    Well, it may be a *little* deceptive, but don't you think - since the OS update broke HaTaX's excellent work - that un-sticking his and lyricidal's threads would be appropriate ? Theses are historical, so that you may consider making a sticky page like "previous exploits".

I've leaned a lot, reading 13 pages (I'm usually patient and documented) before making a move, but others won't and rushing without being warned (even if they "deserve " it) will probably make more harm than good.

P.S : Sorry if my bad English made this readable as "piracy" oriented, or if I'm rude anyhow, I do not mean this.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-28-11 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Trying to make sentences that does not mean the opposite of my thoughts !
    TerribleTim68 and SlcCorrado like this.
    09-28-11 11:03 AM
    I'm totally stuck here guys. I loaded the sys.android.bar file using DDPB Installer. It said "DONE". When I open the app player on the Playbook for the first time it takes about 2 minutes and then it just dissapears. If I try to open it again it just flashes like it's starting, then dissapears. I'm stuck right there. Any help?
    I'm having the same issue with OS v1.0.72942 where it when I launch the Android player it didnt give me the 'drop down' options.
    Having said that, I can push .bar file to my PB and so far Angry bird is working.
    Any thoughts?
    10-01-11 07:11 PM
    I have 1.0.7.2942 after OTA upgrade. I understand Android player won't work on it.

I have two questions:
    1. If I reset playbook to factory settings then will OS go back to initial OS that it came with?
    2. How to turn off automatic OTA update?

thanks.
    10-05-11 07:12 PM
    This will not work anymore. You cannot downgrade PB OS's

Please go away and let the thread die.

The end.
    ignites and anon(3956470) like this.
    10-05-11 07:18 PM
    hi,
    i just get a new blackberry playbook, i try to install the andriod market in my play book but my blackberry playbook OS version is 1.0.7.3312, so with this version have any problem if i install andriod . but i try to install, when i running the apps, the apps will auto close i dont know why or maybe is a OS problem.

thanks ur support
    truly ,
    ramous
    10-11-11 07:52 PM
    i think this thread will have a hard time dying when its a sticky. new user buys playbook, signs up at crackberry, reads first sticky and tries it. of course we all know why he fails but i doubt he read all the posts to understand why
    10-13-11 02:54 AM
    How bout Moderator marking this "sticky" NO LONGER WORKSPut it on PAGE 1 of OP ; right up front so we quit WASTING OUR TIME downloading usless tools.
    fbloise likes this.
    11-26-11 04:35 AM
    Alright, so most of you have already seen this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-later-632112/

And I think we need a place for questions, comments, and what not. The old thread is probably not a good place for it as we're approaching 20 pages that focus heavily on a previous version. So here's a thread for all the users of this to flock to!

So lets get started...
    There's a few things you should do to prepare the PB for the process that are listed in the description at the link. First thing you need to do is to get the sys.android.bar file (search Google exactly for the file name), and then get it loaded to your device. (Okay, this seriously ended up being a stopping point for some people so we'll just link to it here: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! )

You can load sys.android.bar using a few different methods, pick whichever works best for you. louis.keeper has put together a really nice graphical loader that's probably the best solution for most people, it's all drag and drop and the app takes care of the rest. Information on his loading method is here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...indows-619796/
    I also put together a non-graphical batch file for installing bar files using components of the PlayBook SDK, it's a simple method, but it works well and is very lightweight. Information on my loading method is here: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...pworld-615199/

So now that you've dug up "sys.android.bar" and you've got it loaded using one of the methods above, go ahead and open it up on your PlayBook and let it get started. It will take about 2-3 minutes for the first startup of the Android player, after that it's about 30 seconds. Once it's open and sitting at a screen with "Recent Tasks" go ahead and close it out. This will get the directory structure setup in the shared folder, and also speed it up for the rest of this process.

Now it's time to copy the needed files to your PlayBook so you can follow along with the video. First, grab the needed zip file here: GApps-PB-rev2.zip, then copy it to the PB using one of the methods below.

And once again, there's two ways to access the PB file system, either via USB, or over the network share if enabled. The path that you're browsing to is basically the same, you want to copy files to the "/misc/android" folder under your shared files. If you're using USB to do this, the path will look something like P:\misc\android (With "P:" being the drive letter assigned to the PB). And if you're using the network share method, the path will look something like \\PLAYBOOK\media\misc\android (With "PLAYBOOK" being the IP address the PB is currently using)

Once you get that path open on your computer, you need to extract the entire contents of that folder to the open path. This should create 3 new folders on the PB named "apks", "download", and "google". The download folder is empty, but extract it there anyway, you need that folder created before installing Market apps. This section is VERY important! You need to make sure the "downloads" folder is created before you start this process or the permissions on it will be incorrect and you will be unable to delete the folder! If this happens you can move or rename the damaged "downloads" folder and create a new one either over usb or the wifi share. The only way to get rid of this folder if its created incorrectly is to do a system wipe. It doesn't hurt anything to rename or move it, but it's not ideal.

Got all that done and ready? If so, you're ready to follow the video for the rest of this how-to. Make sure you've got 15 minutes set aside and then head over here:

(Remember to take a look in the video description for additional information, most of it is already posted here, but any updates to the video will be posted there first.)

After you've got it installed you may wonder what the additional files are for in the "google/optional" folder. The contact and calendar apks are to sync your Gmail calendar and contacts to the Android player, and the MediaUploader.apk is responsible for uploading media to Google services. (YouTube uploading, attachments in Gmail, etc.) These files are non-essential and are included for those people who want to use those features. You can install them at any point after Market is installed, and do a reboot of the PB after they're installed to make sure they're all setup properly.

Please forgive the messiness of this thread, I'll clean up my OP later tonight or tomorrow but I wanted to get this thread started and going!

Let us know how it went for you! We'll use this thread for questions, comments, flames, all of it that relates to the Android Marketplace on your PlayBook.

Known issues:
    Stuck at "Download starting" - Possible solutions: #1, #2 , #3(Bold text), #4
    "Insufficient Storage Space" when installing downloaded app - Read the large bold paragraph above. (Workaround here if you've got the problem)
    Gmail app flashes and closes email when trying to read emails. - Issue with the HTML rendering engine in Android, no fix yet.
    ****Ok I have been trying to do this for days now.. I followed all links and downloaded sys.androoid.bar on my computer sent too my PB using the second option to slide to the PB. This is where I am having a prob. it sent to the PB but when I go to load it it brings up a black page with the blackberry symbol then closes shortly after?? What am I doing wrong?
    12-11-11 03:55 PM
    I succeeded in installing the android player on my PB but it is not launching. It starts to launch then immediately closes.

I have deleted and reinstalled, the same thing. Rebooted PB yet same thing. Any suggestions, folks?
    12-22-11 11:35 PM
    What operating system version are you running?
    12-23-11 03:25 AM
    I succeeded in installing the android player on my PB but it is not launching. It starts to launch then immediately closes.

I have deleted and reinstalled, the same thing. Rebooted PB yet same thing. Any suggestions, folks?
    i am having same issues..player opens then immediatley closes....and i have successful root on 2.0.0.4869 os...any suggestions....i have installed google folders as well to system etc..
    12-23-11 08:38 AM
    why dont they put a BIG message in the first page stating this no longer works with the latest betas...

what a waste of my time (couple of hours)..
    12-25-11 06:19 AM
    why dont they put a BIG message in the first page stating this no longer works with the latest betas...

what a waste of my time (couple of hours)..
    Couldn't agree more. Now take a deep breath on this day of peace and brotherhood because you will need your wits about you if you want to restore your device to a usable state. You have learned a very important lesson the hard way: If someone suggests that something is "easy", you owe it to yourself to read the fine print (all of it). That's why there is a search tool located at the top of this page.

Here are a few words of wisdom for you as you do your research: Always, always read the last few posts in a thread before acting on its original post. Also be aware that there are various other PlayBook sub-forums dedicated to turning your shiny new (but incomplete) PlayBoook into a functional (but second rate) Android device. All of these methods involve using beta software meant for developers only and some arcane instructions that may or may not work for you Good luck.

@HaTaX, please give unwary forum users a huge present and put a "best used before" notice on all of your obsolete threads.
    12-25-11 07:49 AM
    After trying other guides this is the only one that installed something. In fact... SimpleBrowser is good and work great.

AndroidPlayer installed and as it said in the video, takes a lot for the first time... but it closes after 2 or 3 minutes. Then nothing. Clicking it again it open and closes in less than 3 seconds.

So i'm stuck again.... BTW: all my other apps stopped working until i performed the Micro$oft solution.. reboot. Everything still working except for the AndroidPlayer

If anyone has succesfully see something plz help or share if something not posted on the original post is needed to finalize setup/installation and start using it.

Thanks.
    12-25-11 10:41 AM
    After trying other guides this is the only one that installed something. In fact... SimpleBrowser is good and work great.

AndroidPlayer installed and as it said in the video, takes a lot for the first time... but it closes after 2 or 3 minutes. Then nothing. Clicking it again it open and closes in less than 3 seconds.

So i'm stuck again.... BTW: all my other apps stopped working until i performed the Micro$oft solution.. reboot. Everything still working except for the AndroidPlayer

If anyone has succesfully see something plz help or share if something not posted on the original post is needed to finalize setup/installation and start using it.

Thanks.

I had the exact same problems for days. Then I fell on a thread that has a sys.android.bar file and it worked for me. I've tried 3 different ones and this one worked great.

Bar file : sys.android.bar

Installed this bar, do a hard reset by holding Power, Volume - and volume + until the unit shuts down. Then boot up. It worked fine for me. Hopes it helps others.

I beleive that this will install the default Android Player.

I installed this Launcher and works great.

Zeam Launcher

Booted Android Fine. Didn't go in to Market or anything yet, but Android OS boots and seems stable.
    Last edited by pg0d1n; 12-25-11 at 12:47 PM.
    12-25-11 12:09 PM
    @HaTaX, please give unwary forum users a huge present and put a "best used before" notice on all of your obsolete threads.
    Not to be a but why is it his responsibility? If I decide to install software that is beta or not approved it is incumbent upon me to do the research, ask the questions and decide if this is for me. How does he even know if the update frags his stuff?

I downloaded 2.0.6xxx and realized quickly that I could not root it. I read further and found that I could go back to 2.0.4xxx and root. I also read in the first few posts of 2.0.6xxx that market was included. This was within one day of the beta release so the info is out there if you look for it.

Searching for these answers or asking the questions from the devs themselves will go a lot further than complaining that a dev does not update a post. I imagine he is busy looking for the next exploit or enjoying his fix and not jumping on top of every little development.

If I was a dev and saw that post I sure would be wary of posting anything else. It is not his job to be tech support for an unsupported mod or software hack. Although I am sure if you emailed him he would help. IRC Freenode would be another resource.

Just my two cents and worth every penny,
    Sean
    12-25-11 03:45 PM
    Not to be a but why is it his responsibility? If I decide to install software that is beta or not approved it is incumbent upon me to do the research, ask the questions and decide if this is for me. How does he even know if the update frags his stuff?

I downloaded 2.0.6xxx and realized quickly that I could not root it. I read further and found that I could go back to 2.0.4xxx and root. I also read in the first few posts of 2.0.6xxx that market was included. This was within one day of the beta release so the info is out there if you look for it.

Searching for these answers or asking the questions from the devs themselves will go a lot further than complaining that a dev does not update a post. I imagine he is busy looking for the next exploit or enjoying his fix and not jumping on top of every little development.

If I was a dev and saw that post I sure would be wary of posting anything else. It is not his job to be tech support for an unsupported mod or software hack. Although I am sure if you emailed him he would help. IRC Freenode would be another resource.

Just my two cents and worth every penny,
    Sean
    Maybe you're right and I should should keep my opinions to myself. I just happen to believe that people should read more than just the original post before acting on its advice. They should probably read further to find out how things worked out for others who tried the advice - especially when the topic is as complex as this one. But I also know that it is the rare person who is as cautious as I am. So it is my considered opinion that people who post official looking instruction manuals should update them when the information contained therin becomes obsolete. That's my two cents and I'm sticking with it.

PS ... I always try to be helpful and I never mean to get involved where I am not wanted. It appears that this thread was missed when the PlayBook forums were split. Perhaps it should be moved to the Android sideloading forum since it seems to off-topic for a forum related to apps and games for the official OS (which of course is my main interest). Just saying...
    12-25-11 08:52 PM
233 ... 78910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD