I have everything working except that it wont let me download any apps. I know the download folder has the wrong permissions. So when you say that i have to create the file on the file share side how do i go about doing that?

thank you very much.
    08-16-11 08:46 PM
    First, open up the Astro program and find the download folder. Hold on it and select edit then move. Then click on the other download folder and at the top bar click on the edit icon and select paste. Then pull up the playbook using wireless file share or by plugging into usb. Open up the media folder and create a new folder. It wouldn't let me rename it from there. Disconnect the playbook and open astro back up and hold on the "new folder" and select edit then rename and call it "download". It should now have the correct permissions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 09:24 PM
    Hi folks,

also had the "download starting" stuck issue.

Deleting and recreating the download folder with Astro didn't make the trick, Astro said rights were "drw" however adb logcat said
    "W/DownloadManager(4608107): Aborting request for download 6: while opening destination file: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /sdcard/download/downloadfile.apk (Permission denied)"

connected with adb shell, checked download folder rights:
    drwx--S--- app_70024 811 2011-08-18 23:24 download

deleted the folder with Astro,
    recreated it with adb shell (mkdir /sdcard/download)

drwxrwsrwx shell 811 2011-08-18 23:28 download

and now it works

Thanks HaTaX for your great work!
    08-18-11 04:48 PM
    Good to see someone here that's familiar with adb! Now, for what its worth the instructions say to create the download folder from the file share not Astro as you will end up with incorrect permissions just like you did.

adb runs in the user context, so what you did works just as well as using the file share method to create the folder. Most people here aren't adb savvy and I tried to keep the end user instructions away from anything on the command line.

Glad it worked out for you!
    08-19-11 12:16 AM
    stupid question but, those 3 folders that need to be extracted, do we extract them to a folder named "downloads"? and this folder we create ourselves or what?..
    sorry if this is stupid
    08-22-11 02:38 AM
    stupid question but, those 3 folders that need to be extracted, do we extract them to a folder named "downloads"? and this folder we create ourselves or what?..
    sorry if this is stupid
    You extract those 3 folders (download, apks, & google) to the misc\android folder in your file share. (media\misc\android if using wifi sharing)

Once you've got them copied onto the PB start up the video and follow along.
    08-23-11 12:26 AM
    Just installed OS update 1.0.7.2942 and now Android Player isn't working anymore..
    08-24-11 11:59 AM
    Just installed OS update 1.0.7.2942 and now Android Player isn't working anymore..
    I updated to the new OS this morning and now am trying to load Android Player and it installs but then it doesn't run. Is this why?

I click on it, it "opens" then closes right away.
    08-25-11 01:39 PM
    You guys living under a rock? The new build broke the Android Player
    08-25-11 01:49 PM
    Apparently I am living under a rock, :S
    08-25-11 02:02 PM
    Yea i found out about 5 minutes AFTER I installed the new build. However there is a major new feature that softens the blow. Most 3rd party apps now work through the bridge and the bridge itself is better and more stable.
    08-25-11 02:05 PM
    At least we got a taste of whats to come, soon hopefully!
    08-25-11 02:56 PM
    Any fix for this issue?
    08-27-11 04:08 AM
    Missing my Android on Playbook ...this update shutdown feels soooo much like the Apple/jailbreak community...
    08-28-11 04:38 AM
    I'm so glad I haven't upgraded yet. I feel so bad for everyone who upgraded. While I do really want and sometimes need the functionality that I would get from the update, I feel like I can do without the latest and greatest for the moment to put up with a buggy, glitchy version of the Android app player. Hurry up RIM and get the update rolled out that gives us the best of both worlds so I can upgrade and all those who did before can have the app player back. I understand the need to beta test a particular OS but..... If you have the working version out there, you have tested it and it works, and are just sitting on it because you want to release it to the masses on a special date to coincide with DevCon... To entice new people to buy the playbook and increase the sales of it, that's a slap in the face to all your loyal CrackBerry addicts that have stood behind through thick and thin! Come on RIM! Don't be a bunch of douches! GIVE US THE GOOD STUFF! We've been waiting for it and drooling over it since you teased us with it at BB World in Orlando. Come on it's already overdue!

SlcCorrado likes this.
    08-28-11 07:59 AM
    I'm so glad I haven't upgraded yet. I feel so bad for everyone who upgraded. While I do really want and sometimes need the functionality that I would get from the update, I feel like I can do without the latest and greatest for the moment to put up with a buggy, glitchy version of the Android app player. Hurry up RIM and get the update rolled out that gives us the best of both worlds so I can upgrade and all those who did before can have the app player back.
    A word of caution here... The apps that you rely on may or may not be available immediately after release of the official player. Developers will have to repackage their Android apps for distribution via App World and the apps will be subject to the RIM approval process. If you are using any Android app that you consider to be mission critical, you should contact the developer to ensure that they are planning to support a PB version.

Delays in releasing the player are probably not related to timing the announcements and are more likely related to RIM wanting to ensure that they have complete control over software running on the device. For certain, you can count on RIM to block direct access to the Android Market. Further, you can be assured that RIM will be doing everything possible to thwart attempts to sideload unauthorized apps.
    08-28-11 08:45 AM
    A word of caution here... The apps that you rely on may or may not be available immediately after release of the official player. Developers will have to repackage their Android apps for distribution via App World and the apps will be subject to the RIM approval process. If you are using any Android app that you consider to be mission critical, you should contact the developer to ensure that they are planning to support a PB version.

Delays in releasing the player are probably not related to timing the announcements and are more likely related to RIM wanting to ensure that they have complete control over software running on the device. For certain, you can count on RIM to block direct access to the Android Market. Further, you can be assured that RIM will be doing everything possible to thwart attempts to sideload unauthorized apps.
    Very good point. I wholeheartedly agree with your statement about RIM control... I don't guess I use anything "mission critical" as some people do, such as a RDP client or anything like that... However, I have come to be pretty fond of being able to play Words with Friends with my brother who happens to have an iPhone and the Olive Tree Bible app that is available on Android. LoL. As a side note about contacting developers... I did actually contact Olive Tree some time back and they hinted at the android app player version being available for the PlayBook in their email response...

08-28-11 08:54 AM

Will they succeed though? I can see this thing being un-rootable, but I kinda doubt RIM will be able to block apps. At least I'm hopin
    08-28-11 04:32 PM
    It's not un-rootable, but it is not going to be an easy process that can be released upon the masses. Also, without intimate knowledge of what different methods can be used to root it, it would be foolish to release any information on it. Once the info is out, RIM can patch it in an update, and that may close whatever door is needed forever.

As far as the applications being sideloaded, I think that this won't be a big issue. Developers can still sign and release BAR files for the PB without much fanfare, and the Android apps will be loaded via the same method, just with a different packaging process.

I have a feeling when the new release of the AP hits, I'll have some work ahead of me so we can get access to a larger array of apps on a quick basis. Will Marketplace work? Not sure yet, but once I get my hands on the new OS, you can bet I'll be looking into it. I might even consider a concession to RIM by blocking purchases from the marketplace and we'll just use it for loading free applications. Should keep them from actively blocking it in the future and really it's no loss to the average user, chances are that the apps wouldn't all work anyway.
    08-28-11 05:55 PM
    It's not un-rootable, but it is not going to be an easy process that can be released upon the masses. Also, without intimate knowledge of what different methods can be used to root it, it would be foolish to release any information on it. Once the info is out, RIM can patch it in an update, and that may close whatever door is needed forever.

As far as the applications being sideloaded, I think that this won't be a big issue. Developers can still sign and release BAR files for the PB without much fanfare, and the Android apps will be loaded via the same method, just with a different packaging process.

I have a feeling when the new release of the AP hits, I'll have some work ahead of me so we can get access to a larger array of apps on a quick basis. Will Marketplace work? Not sure yet, but once I get my hands on the new OS, you can bet I'll be looking into it. I might even consider a concession to RIM by blocking purchases from the marketplace and we'll just use it for loading free applications. Should keep them from actively blocking it in the future and really it's no loss to the average user, chances are that the apps wouldn't all work anyway.
    I was under the impression that the PlayBook is not rootable because of the timing and method that is used to read the bootloader signature
    08-28-11 05:59 PM
    I was under the impression that the PlayBook is not rootable because of the timing and method that is used to read the bootloader signature
    The signature requirement on the bootloader keeps it from booting an unauthorized kernel or modified ROM, but it doesn't prevent root access inside the QNX os. The micro-kernel is locked down by the bootloader, but the os is running on top of that.

Rooting has been turned into a general term with all of that on the Android devices. And on Android devices it's typically achieved with loading a completely different ROM image as that's the easiest for end users. Never going to be an option for us because of the signature issue you mention. But there is root access inside the existing os, heck even the built in HTTP/S server running on it is run under the root user context as well as other services.

Hope that clears up specifically what I'm referring to when I mean root access.
    08-29-11 01:25 AM
    I'm totally stuck here guys. I loaded the sys.android.bar file using DDPB Installer. It said "DONE". When I open the app player on the Playbook for the first time it takes about 2 minutes and then it just dissapears. If I try to open it again it just flashes like it's starting, then dissapears. I'm stuck right there. Any help?
    09-01-11 12:53 AM
    I'm totally stuck here guys. I loaded the sys.android.bar file using DDPB Installer. It said "DONE". When I open the app player on the Playbook for the first time it takes about 2 minutes and then it just dissapears. If I try to open it again it just flashes like it's starting, then dissapears. I'm stuck right there. Any help?
    Which OS version do you have installed on your playbook?

TerribleTim68 likes this.
    09-01-11 05:43 AM

It is clear that RIM is going to make your job very difficult if you do this. RIM took the time to devote resources to breaking your work that could have been dovoted to completing new features.

At the end, I fear that RIM will have a completely locked down and safe platform but no one will be using it.
    HaTaX likes this.
    09-01-11 07:00 AM
    which os version do you have installed on your playbook?

Posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 08:42 AM
233 ... 678910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD