Heard anything? Well, I haven't seen a cease and desist order from them yet if that's what you mean. Not sure they'd know how to integrate me anyway, I'd just want to dig into everything and spend a week not sleeping cleaning up their code. lol

Those folders get left behind because they're in the media share. Some of them you can delete, and others you can't. Sometimes you'll have better luck if you delete the folders in the /sdcard folder before deleting the android player. That will clean out the folders for the next installation of apps.

While it's nice you removed them all manually, you don't need to go through all that. They still leave folders behind in the media share, and when you delete it from the system all the apps that were installed go with it.
    bbbeliever and pchan8888 like this.
    08-09-11 04:46 PM
    Got it! Did a system wipe, then installed the Android player. after that, i copied the GApps into the misc/android folder and deleted the "download" folder right away. i then made a new folder named "download". this seems to have done the trick. i've got everything downloaded and working!!

HaTaX...thanks for your help!!
    Last edited by bbbeliever; 08-09-11 at 07:40 PM.
    08-09-11 07:35 PM
    hey...anybody else finding their PB apps not loading after using the Android Player? I have to restart after I've been using the Android Player...hmm...
    08-09-11 08:52 PM
    I've noticed that a few times, seems to be with memory hungry apps. If you let the PB sit for a minute or two unused the memory cleaner will take care of things, but otherwise I notice it only after certain apps or if I've had a force close or two from testing apps.
    AshDeezy and bbbeliever like this.
    08-09-11 09:12 PM
    Got it! Did a system wipe, then installed the Android player. after that, i copied the GApps into the misc/android folder and deleted the "download" folder right away. i then made a new folder named "download". this seems to have done the trick. i've got everything downloaded and working!!

HaTaX...thanks for your help!!
    I'm going to give this a shot soon because I'm at a complete loss...glad it worked for you.
    08-10-11 12:43 AM
    I don't think you'll get a C&D but I would bet the next PB update has code to make the market not work again. BUT hopefully that's the update with the official beta android player!
    08-10-11 12:57 AM
    Hopefully if they do kill off the market, I've done my homework and may be able to get it back on there, have to wait to see what they do. But honestly, the incentive to get it working won't be as big once we can get android apps from the app store. Free apps will probably remain free as long as there's no special fee for Android apps to be approved or anything.
    08-10-11 01:04 AM
    Hey HaTaX- just sent a private message to you. Hope you don't mind!!
    08-10-11 06:03 AM
    anyone who can help I appreciate it since my playbook doesn't seem to like me today!

I followed all the steps to install the android market-but I used the video & didn't delete the one download folder ***banging head against wall now*** so here's where I'm at:

I've tried to remove download folder--I get an error msg
    I've tried to rename it--I get insufficient permissions since it's a d.. file
    I've tried to move it--it won't move

anything I missed? any other things to try?
    08-10-11 10:51 AM
    @bbryadict-
    Are you using astro within the Android Player?
    If so, hold down the pesky "download" folder icon until window pops up and choose Edit. Click on Move. Hold down another folder to hide the pesky "download" folder with the d--, Choose Edit and then click on Paste. Close off Android Player and I would connect via usb cable...go into the Playbook drive to misc/android and create a new "download" folder. Go back into the Android Player, hit the astro and confirm the permission of the new download folder's permission. It should now have "drw".
    08-10-11 07:48 PM
    Whatever you do.
    DO NOT INSTALL AND USE GINGERBREAK
    It makes everything weird. Either that or ADW launcher
    Edit: This is what happens if you do... (attached)
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 08-10-11 at 08:31 PM.
    08-10-11 08:23 PM
    is anyone else experiencing this? I got the player and market loaded early Sunday morning and have been using it since then. In the last 2 days I've noticed that the apps I've got loaded sometimes load and sometimes don't. I wait for the player to load completely (get the gmail confirmation and installed apps menu to set itself back to the top) and when I try to load an app, it will load and then close itself. I close everything and reboot and it will still do it. I restart everything again and it still does it. Every once in a while things will work like they should but this is becoming less and less frequent... Anybody have any ideas?
    08-10-11 10:25 PM
    It won't let me delete the folder apparently because of the permissions... but it did let me move it! Woohoo! I moved it into the Download folder and created a new folder and named it download, it has the drw permissions. I just downloaded the jewels game and it installed successfully! Praise the Lord!

Thanks HaTaX for all of your help!!! Hopefully this will help someone else as well!
    Didn't work for me
    08-11-11 03:13 AM
    Too many reboots , freezes, lockups for me, did system wipe. I will wait for the official release.
    08-11-11 08:54 AM
    Figured it out. For those of you having the issue, this is what I did, I am sure some of these steps are unnecessary but it worked and fixed the issue:

1. Close market place and the android app player
    2. Send a test email to your gmail account (from a different account).
    3. Open the test email from the notification.
    4. It will probably glitch (mine did) swipe back to the home screen of app player.
    5. Next open the Gmail app and view the email.
    6. Now close the email and go to the Market Place.

That got mine working, kind of weird maybe the google sync needed to be verified or something but I am in operation. Should also add make sure you follow Hatax's procedures to a tee because I did that as well.
    I did this, and it still glitched on the gmail part.

I have been able to download some apps (from working apps post) but last night, all of the apps hang, I have done most of the fixes short of a wipe.
    08-11-11 10:27 AM
    Took a couple tries, but I got it working. Thanks for all your hard work.
    08-11-11 11:57 AM
    Suggestion for those daring:
    1)Do a complete Security Wipe via Security setting
    2)Get automatic OS Update
    3)Following instructions provided by HaTaX ie. Install Android Player, Astro, and the rest to make the Market Place work (You will see a big difference in speed during and after installation)
    4)Do a complete backup using your Backberry Desktop (it actually works after months not being able to do a complete save!!!)
    4)Reinstall your apps that you had previously from the app world. Then do another complete save
    -Found that NFS and Tetris was not part of the original OS
    08-11-11 03:22 PM
    Any idea why this won't work in Playbook Simulator?
    It installs fine. Then you run it and after showing the Playbook logo for a while it spits out "Unable to start application Android Player - Error 8".
    Now it just spits that out instantly as soon as I try to open it.

Is there something we can modify to get this loading on Simulator?

Edit: It seems you need Playbook OS 1.07 to run it but the Simulator is OS 1.06.
    Last edited by xsacha; 08-12-11 at 04:33 AM.
    08-12-11 12:59 AM
    OK...

I'm having a hard time moving past the installation of astro.apk. I keep on getting the "free up some space" error message. Not sure what I'm doing wrong over here. I followed the instructions and the workaround for the error I got. I've deleted the "download" folder and created another but I don't know if that is what fixes it?..

Can anyone take me step by step? lol

Thanks!
    Last edited by jayeverette; 08-12-11 at 05:04 PM.
    08-12-11 05:01 PM
    You're the man, Hatax. I just did all this, and while it took me much longer than 15 minutes (haha) everything is working great now! Thanks for this.
    08-12-11 09:47 PM
    Did it also a couple nights ago! it's great! Thanks Hatax..! Just wish that more apps worked!!
    08-13-11 11:01 AM
    OK...

I'm having a hard time moving past the installation of astro.apk. I keep on getting the "free up some space" error message. Not sure what I'm doing wrong over here. I followed the instructions and the workaround for the error I got. I've deleted the "download" folder and created another but I don't know if that is what fixes it?..

Can anyone take me step by step? lol

Thanks!
    Take a look at the permissions of the download folder using Astro. Does it show "d--" or "drw"? If it doesn't show "drw" then the permissions are incorrect, the download folder must be created from the file share side, not from within the Android player / Astro.

Glad it's working well for everyone else! I honestly haven't touched it much lately, been a little sour on RIM and haven't wanted to mess with it. I'll probably pick it back up soon enough and see if I can take care of some of the other issues people are encountering with apps not working and whatnot. GMail will most likely be the first focus to see if I can get the HTML rendering working.
    4wheel likes this.
    08-13-11 03:33 PM
    Take a look at the permissions of the download folder using Astro. Does it show "d--" or "drw"? If it doesn't show "drw" then the permissions are incorrect, the download folder must be created from the file share side, not from within the Android player / Astro.

Sorry for sounding dumb, but I'm not sure where and how to do this. Do I use a seperate program to change permissions? I'm usually good with this stuff, but I'm totally lost with the installation of astro on the PB.

any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks
    -Jay
    08-13-11 06:43 PM
    Well, if you're not able to get Astro installed then can you post here what steps you're taking to do so? Like what is the exact string you're typing into the browser, and what do the folders structure look like in the file share? What step do you get the free up some space error at?
    08-13-11 07:06 PM
    OK getting Android on and working took just about 15 minutes. Getting my damn PC to recognize my PB over an hour. Oh well
    08-13-11 08:15 PM
233 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD