Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to get a chat app which would run in the background even if I close it (exit out of android player). Now, with current limitation of OS 2.0 (its been discussed couple of times already on CB), I know the only way out to get this (sadly) would be some ported app (I believe android player allows the services to run in background). I did sideload IM+ Pro and it runs in the background for few minutes and eventually it ends without any errors. (I've verified this by looking at 'Running Services' option on Settings app). It delivers the messages till the time service is running.
    I had sideloaded Kaiten mail which seem to be running 24/7 in the background. However, there is something wrong with IM+ Pro.

So, here are my questions

1.) Has anyone noticed background services dying out unexpectedly on Android player? (atleast for IM+ Pro)
    2.) Has anyone sideloaded any chat app which runs in the background and delivers messages as and when they come?
    03-12-12 11:44 PM
    PBOS currently does not allow third party apps to run services in the background.

I am surprised to hear that you observe background services running in the background for an Android player app. What you are actually seeing may be a lag between the closing of the app and it being removed from the running services list (reporting lag). I may be wrong though. I hope someone more qualified will explain what's going on.
    03-12-12 11:49 PM
    Nope, I can confirm that Kaiten email runs in the background 24/7. Its been working like this since beta version. You can sideload Kaiten to verify.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-12-12 11:52 PM
    Ok, I think I see similar behavior with Kaiten now (it is also dying out after few minutes when I close android player). But I'm sure it used to run in the background in beta version . I actually didn't bother about Kaiten once I'd got Message app.

But, it could be just an issue with Android player. If anyone can confirm that if they're able to see any services running in the background on Android player, that'll be helpful.
    Last edited by godsend85; 03-13-12 at 12:06 AM.
    03-13-12 12:00 AM
    The other weird thing I'm noticing is when I restart PB it'll have Kaiten process running and then it'll just die out in few minutes.
    03-13-12 12:13 AM
    That's actually the glitch on the Android Runtime. There are apps that will run on the background (because the app is configured to do so on the Android platform) once another app has been opened through the Runtime. An example will be the Twitter app (if you weren't able to disable the autostart feature). It's on the PB OS architecture that only open apps (the unfocused ones) should be able to generate a notification. The Android Runtime has inconsistency on it's implementation though.

That's why I've suggested this:
    Android Simulator Mimicking Multiple Open Apps on ... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    03-13-12 12:21 AM
    Peter

I believe the beta version used to allow running services in the background. However, in OS2.0 it seems all unfocused apps are being killed now running on Android player after a certain interval. I don't get it why would RIM hate background apps. If it is about consistency, I would imagine the "end state" for native apps would also be to have capability to send the notifications (like Messages App does). So, I really don't see a point in killing those background services when we already have certain apps(Messages, Calendar, App world) sending out those notifications.
    Last edited by godsend85; 03-13-12 at 01:01 AM.
    03-13-12 12:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD