Any ideas as to when the playbook will be able to run android apps?

all the apps i need are on the android & ios devices
    paid all this money on this hardware and i cant even get a decent "productive" app.
    05-25-11 06:58 PM
    i hope never but probably "summer". if all your apps that you need are on the other platforms then.....yeagh just saying. but the common answer from rim is "summor" or "soon". btw use the search feature next time or look around there are already anoff discussions about it.
    05-25-11 07:09 PM
    your guess is as good as mine
    05-25-11 07:09 PM
    It's supposed to be coming out this summer. There isn't an exact date yet. If you bought this for the sole purpose of running android apps you'll probably be disappointed as it's likely the apps won't run as well as on native android platforms. Also it will only be able to run android 2.3 apps and at that only the apps that don't use the native android libraries. So yeah probably mostly fart sound effect apps and tip calculator apps.
    05-25-11 07:10 PM
    There was never a date for release, how the interface would work, and which apps would be available.
    Be patient
    05-25-11 07:12 PM
    And note that the apps have to be re-packaged by developers and submitted to RIM for sale through App World. You will not be able to just grab any old app from the Android Market, which is what most people seem to think.
    05-25-11 08:20 PM
    you should've done your research and get a tablet with more productive apps instead of justifying a playbook with its future feature
    05-25-11 09:14 PM
    didnt anyone else get the update yesterday with them in it ? :s theres email too its 1.0.6.1253
    05-25-11 09:34 PM
    As much as i love this device and enjoyed two quick, back-to-back updates that fixed things and added some nice features, It looks as though RIM is back to business as usual and slowed down to first gear as well as not saying a word.

I bought it (64 gig version at that), will keep it, will look forward to improvements but i fear RIM hasnt changed as I would hope would be revealed in this device.
    05-25-11 09:45 PM
    didnt anyone else get the update yesterday with them in it ? :s theres email too its 1.0.6.1253
    Yeah last night in my dreams

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-11 10:23 PM
    you should've done your research and get a tablet with more productive apps instead of justifying a playbook with its future feature
    My needs have changed and i can wait for Rim anymore

I fear that this will be a similar release to the first storm. By the time that the Playbook gets better, the 2nd version will be out. Unfortunately Rim is always one or two steps behind

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-11 11:41 PM
    Well I just spoke to a Future shop rep who appears pretty plugged into the Rim PB info and he told me that the Rim rep told him that PB will have 250,000 android apps available by this summer. This of course is not all the Android apps he told me but a good selection. So that's exciting. I actually trust this team's info source as they were pretty bang on in letting me know about my Torch and PB availablility info before I could get it anywhere else.

So patience will be a virtue!
    05-27-11 11:17 PM
    Well I just spoke to a Future shop rep who appears pretty plugged into the Rim PB info and he told me that the Rim rep told him that PB will have 250,000 android apps available by this summer. This of course is not all the Android apps he told me but a good selection. So that's exciting. I actually trust this team's info source as they were pretty bang on in letting me know about my Torch and PB availablility info before I could get it anywhere else.

So patience will be a virtue!
    there is no way you will get anywhere close to this. There are barely that many in the android markerplace as it is. thousands are widgets and things that require root, themes etc that the PB will not be able to run. So i see 2 possibilties, either the rep was lying or you are lying.
    05-27-11 11:25 PM
    it'll only be as many android apps as the developers bring over, if they decide to do the whole market then thats what it'll be but i don't think it'll be that many, i hope so though. one thing i'd like are those moving wall papers, the galaxy has this really nice one of water which you can tap and it ripples.
    05-27-11 11:26 PM
    there is no way you will get anywhere close to this. There are barely that many in the android markerplace as it is. thousands are widgets and things that require root, themes etc that the PB will not be able to run. So i see 2 possibilties, either the rep was lying or you are lying.
    I don't know the Rim rep, and I don't know Android platforms, and I don't know if I would care or find anything useful on Android apps... howver it is what the future shop guy told me and I've talked to these people before and they may be more plugged in then one expects. They certainly told me more about when to expect my Torch then any other retail outlet...

However, even if not that much apps, I think it would more significant then current expectations for people waiting.

I have no vested interest in Android apps so I wouldn't be lying... Like I said I personally wouldn't care one way or another so it's not worth lying about.

Maybe the rep was off his numbers but it probably will be significant...
    05-27-11 11:32 PM
    You do realize that the PlayBook won't be able to run Android apps straight from the Android Market, right? Developers will need to repackage their apps, submit to RIM, and get them approved for sale on the BB App World before the PlayBook can get access to them. Not all apps will be able to go through this process due to system/library requirements.

I think the truth is that a subset of Android apps will be potentially available. It's up to the developers, and the feasibility of bringing their apps over, to determine how many will make it. Anybody that thinks 250K apps are a done deal is grossly misinformed. I bet we'll see a few hundred apps to start, and it may grow to a few thousand overall.
    05-28-11 07:44 PM
    You do realize that the PlayBook won't be able to run Android apps straight from the Android Market, right? Developers will need to repackage their apps, submit to RIM, and get them approved for sale on the BB App World before the PlayBook can get access to them. Not all apps will be able to go through this process due to system/library requirements.

I think the truth is that a subset of Android apps will be potentially available. It's up to the developers, and the feasibility of bringing their apps over, to determine how many will make it. Anybody that thinks 250K apps are a done deal is grossly misinformed. I bet we'll see a few hundred apps to start, and it may grow to a few thousand overall.
    I'm sure you're right on this... however something to keep in mind that there may be more apps then anticipated is this.

It was announced at the BBW conference last month, but they may have been working on it prior to even the release of the PB... most companies don't do a big news story like that unless they're at least half way to three quarters way through the building of it. The final bits and pieces would be if these apps compromise the security of PB in any way or conflict with any possible native apps that they have coming down the pipeline which we are not privy to and will not be privy to.

I just want more functionality on my sheet to go program. I notice with Docs to go if I imported a sheet from my PC then the it appears that I have more full functionality to edit, like more fonts, colours, highlighting etc. I wish excel would do that as well.
    05-28-11 07:58 PM
    I do hope its soon. Blackberry market is a little stale.
    05-29-11 12:26 AM
    I'm ambivalent or somewhat negative about the promise of Android Apps because that promise may stop or slow down invention and creation of native Playbook apps
    05-29-11 12:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD