I had kindle for a few days and it was a total disaster. My PlayBook was behaving real weird. I have now uninstalled it and everything is back to normal. I will never, read my lips: "NEVER " use an Android app again on my PlayBook. And it is fine by me, they were never designed for the PlayBook anyway.
    04-07-12 03:34 AM
    Two issues here
    1. Side loaded apps - not endorsed or expected to work by RIM.
    2. Apps converted by developer and submitted to app world.

For the first, suck it up muffins you hack and play expect it to fook up.

As for the second CONTACT THE VENDOR and post the results of your interactions here, at least put that much effort into it instead of coming strait here and whining "nothing works". These threads are getting annoying and have zero value. Change your diapers and go back to your moms basement.
    I dont envy the mods.
    Leave the Pro Apple and other platform posts in and people throw a paddy.
    Leave utter nonsense like the above post in and its complete double standards.
    I mean saints post is insulting, unhelpful, if ever a post deserved to be deleted and the poster censured, this is it.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to just leave threads open for people to discuss things as they see fit? Or not delete any posts as opposed to selective deletion? At least then theres no issue of double standards.
    This is the sort of post that drives people away from RIM and RIM products, cos they have problems, come online to the 'premier' RIM product site, and then read insulting garbage like this.
    docfreed likes this.
    04-07-12 05:07 AM
    If you really want to see how a good site works (and probably accounts in some part of the increase in Android use) go to XDA-Developers. A minimum of flame and rarely do you see post-bashing.

IMHO, Crackberry has deteriorated severely from what it was a few years ago - I bet that 30% to 40% of the posts here are some sort of flame, ex. if someone doesn't like the content of someone's post the first poster automagically becomes a "dreaded troll".

I wonder which entity will bite the dust first - Crackberry or RIM? And, I have no doubt that some offended clown will flame this post.
    Last edited by docfreed; 04-07-12 at 07:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    04-07-12 07:00 AM
    How can Crackberry really die when it has already diversified into the mobile (united) nation(s) of android central, imore, wpcentral and webos nation?

Le roi est mort, vive le roi!
    04-07-12 07:31 AM
    I use a couple android apps and haven't had issues with them freezing or crashing
    However - i don't use any of the ereader apps And I reboot my pb about once or twice a week just to avoid the 'memory' issue. Since I've started that I haven't had anything crash.

I did have a problem with qpdf - it was just brutal trying to look up a file - not sure if that's similar to what the OP is getting with the ereader.
    hpulley likes this.
    04-07-12 07:43 AM
    Hmmm...

1) A possible hit and miss..gotta agree with that. Similar to the browser issue, there are people who doesn't report any crashes while browsing. ( initially I thought it was the browser, but crashes do occur on certain websites and when u open multi tab at once).

2) Apart from that, lack of native apps causes more people to sideload Android apps to their hearts content. But honestly, Android Player do give a pain in the a** if u were power using the PB prior to launching an Android app. In that case, reboot is a must.

3) Some people report that freezes occur with only certain type of Android apps (words with friends for example). The only Android app I frequently use is this..Tapatalk. Other than that, sorry, the App player really consumes lots of memory. Let alone the instability issue post 2.0 updates (some) people are having now.

Conclusion: Android apps on a PB??? Yeah it is a joke. What's the point of using a PB when u must rely on Android apps?? This is not diversity..this is begging for mercy.

Morale of the story: RIM please gear up the AppWorld with must have apps for a TABLET before launching BB10.

Sent from my PlayBook using Tapatalk
    fast666 likes this.
    04-07-12 07:45 AM
    Two issues here
    1. Side loaded apps - not endorsed or expected to work by RIM.
    2. Apps converted by developer and submitted to app world.

For the first, suck it up muffins you hack and play expect it to fook up.

As for the second CONTACT THE VENDOR and post the results of your interactions here, at least put that much effort into it instead of coming strait here and whining "nothing works". These threads are getting annoying and have zero value. Change your diapers and go back to your moms basement.
    LOL! I'm sorry that's funny I don't care who you are.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    04-07-12 08:11 AM
    I have put on (and removed) quite a few android apps since 2.0. About 1x every 2 weeks I have to do a restart on my playbook because the android apps won't load, they just hang on the starting menu/screen.

I've come to accept that as a side effect of sideloading and it doesn't bother me.

If I only ever used appworld apps then I could better say if it was them or the converted ones (and these are free android apps that have been converted) causing it but I can't. I believe it if some people never see these hangs from only using appworld apps...

cheers all!
    04-07-12 09:26 AM
    Chrispipe:

Just because somebody calls out an honest opinion that isn't putting the Playbook on a pedestal is not trolling!!....dork!
    unfortunately,it is considered as trolling at Crackberry. just tell the truth
    04-07-12 10:01 AM
    Wow...surprised thus far. Do any of you have e-readers? If so, how do you resolve where the Android app looks for the files? You cannot access Android file system from Playbook file Manager and visa versa...

You cannot have an Android App opened, and switch to another and leave the other one still running without losing the current info...ie, a web page.

Why wouldn't these things be configured to be seamless? Same gestures, etc.

Its like we have to learn two types of commands now.
    I've never had most of the issues you described. My Android Kindle app works perfectly, still need to try Overdrive. Olive Tree's Biblereader always finds its resources, including ebooks.

I just used Air Browser, another very good free file explorer, to find Android files, including Olive Tree and Kindle content. They both use odd file naming methods, so you're not going to see book names and recognize which item is which. But you can get there.

Yes, sometimes closing an Android app closes all. But they still seem to retain where they left off. And, yes, run and switch Android apps often enough and they'll all go blank, requiring a reboot. Perhaps RIM didn't expect us to "live" only in the Android stuff. And, at least here, most of my "reboots" are actually shutting the device off because I don't need to test battery life going from point a to point b. Try running Windows apps under linux, using VM or one of the other emulators. You'll find a similar experience. Because the software wasn't designed for the other OS.

As for gestures, RIM created an OS with advanced gesturing. The Android developers programmed for an OS that does things differently. You can't expect Android developers or RIM to change how Android apps use gestures, just because they're now on a different platform. Or do you want RIM to downgrade their gesturing system, just to match Android apps? And, other than the fact that no two Android apps necessarily use the same gesturing scheme, it isn't that difficult to get used to. Or that different.
    Last edited by kraski; 04-07-12 at 10:19 AM.
    04-07-12 10:03 AM
    I have not had to reboot my PlayBook because of an Android app freezing. Not once.
    WOW you are lucky! Seriously I have been rebooting my pb over 50 times because of android app freezing!
    04-07-12 10:44 AM
    I have not had to reboot my PlayBook because of an Android app freezing. Not once.
    I have. And quite regularly at that! Though most of the apps that failed were no from App World but apk I converted myself...

Android compatibility is very low. More than half of the apps I tried either crash at launch or don't work properly... others hang randomly and force me to reboot the device since it seems to be the only way to reset Android Player service.
    04-07-12 11:54 AM
    What I have noticed however, I have less crashes on Android when I avoid the gesture from bottom to left to go back vs. when I swipe down from top and just press the back arrow....for what its worth.
    04-07-12 12:28 PM
    I have never had to Reboot my device either and I have about 10
    more Android side load apps than regular apps.
    I have had them crash/forceclose on me like the Netflix app and crazy penquin,
    but never has my PB froze.
    We really shouldn't complain about the Android sideloading as its
    not something RIM promotes. It's basically a hack which comes as a bonus
    on the PLaybook and a huge bonus to me cause I love the Kindle app and the
    Genesis/Nintendo emulators.
    04-07-12 01:50 PM
    The main reason I bought and kept this thing was the promise of good quality Android apps.
    This might be a dumb question, but if you wanted to run "good quality Android apps", then why wouldn't you just buy an Android tablet?
    04-07-12 08:03 PM
    One Android app that does work really excellently is Pool Break. Works sooooo great.
    04-07-12 08:52 PM
    I have for the first time downloaded a bunch of android apps from goodereader and they all seem to be working fine including this ona .... ie tapa talk.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    04-07-12 09:50 PM
    One recurring issue for me is navigagion. Go back icon does not work on some screens. For example I can't seem to go back to the list of forums from this screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    04-07-12 10:06 PM
    Wow...surprised thus far. Do any of you have e-readers? If so, how do you resolve where the Android app looks for the files? You cannot access Android file system from Playbook file Manager and visa versa...

You cannot have an Android App opened, and switch to another and leave the other one still running without losing the current info...ie, a web page.

Hi.

I've tried sideloading android apps into my PB recently. But there are only two apps I did that with. IMO chat and whatsapp. Both of which works very well especially IMO chat.

There's of course glitches, with whatsapp. It freezes at times and I have to restart the PB. But that is not frequent at all and it didn't lock up the whole unit.

FYI, I can attach photos in my PB without problem. However, I cannot take a new photo from within whatsapp itself.

Multitasking is fine, not only within the android player but also with any other PB apps using standard PB gestures.

Just for info.

Thanks.
    04-08-12 04:56 AM

You're right. And it isn't only with ebooks, but with other types of files where you must move the file from the default PlayBook directory structure to a subfolder in the Android directory structure for an Android app to recognize it. I use Ghost Commander to do this, but I agree that it isn't the most user-friendly experience.
    04-08-12 06:49 AM
    I'm sorry....I just don't believe. Try Words With Friends, or any of the e-readers out there.
    I have had to reboot countless times with "Words With Friends" and now there is a newer version and I have to delete old game and reinstall with new version. Pain in the , I wish developers would produce apps. But i see their point, RIM is in the toilet and no one wants to waste tie developing for a dying platform.
    04-08-12 06:52 AM
    Agreed, Reboot is for native OS not for Android.
    DudeJaat likes this.
    04-08-12 09:51 AM
    Agreed, Reboot is for native OS not for Android.
    Android App Player is native. Android apps need that player to run on PB. Based on what u said, it seems that REBOOT is a MUST.

Sent from my PlayBook using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 09:56 AM
    Lot of apps works well. Keep in mind that Sideloaded apps are not supported by rim. It true I get freezes from time to time.
    04-08-12 02:46 PM
    in my playbook, NONE of the android apps in the app world run. i never try to sideload before 2.0, for me the fact that the playbook can run android apps is a lie!
    04-08-12 04:25 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD