Good morning....I have sideloaded many prior to version 2, and continue to do so...I have also found and downloaded some apps from Appworld that are android conversions as well.

The consistent theme is that although they may be great apps on an Android, they do not work proper on a Playbook....NONE of them.

Who can honestly say they haven't had to reboot their playbook because of an Android app freezing....nobody.

The main reason I bought and kept this thing was the promise of good quality Android apps.

Sure you can load them, you can't multi-task them like native pb apps, you can't update them, e-readers can't find your books in the "book" section, you can't do anything....it is quite clearly just a hack.

I expected much more.
    04-06-12 07:46 AM
    I have not had to reboot my PlayBook because of an Android app freezing. Not once.
    04-06-12 08:03 AM
    I have not had to reboot my PlayBook because of an Android app freezing. Not once.
    Agreed,

To the OP, I use multiple Android apps, both from App World and sideloaded, they never have given me problems.
    04-06-12 08:10 AM
    I'm sorry....I just don't believe. Try Words With Friends, or any of the e-readers out there.
    farside33 likes this.
    04-06-12 08:11 AM
    I use several, none of them have ever locked up my playbook. I do agree there aren't as many well known premium android apps as I originally expected but all the ones I've used out of the app world have worked properly and served there purpose.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 08:21 AM
    Wow...surprised thus far. Do any of you have e-readers? If so, how do you resolve where the Android app looks for the files? You cannot access Android file system from Playbook file Manager and visa versa...

You cannot have an Android App opened, and switch to another and leave the other one still running without losing the current info...ie, a web page.

Why wouldn't these things be configured to be seamless? Same gestures, etc.

Its like we have to learn two types of commands now.
    04-06-12 08:25 AM
    I've definitely had my playbook lock down on words with friends at least once a week (complete lockdown- it freezes up and has to be restarted about every 2-3 moves). It has also locked down on my twice while playing modern warfare.

Sucks....
    04-06-12 08:30 AM
    Yeah words has crashed the Android player for me too
    04-06-12 08:48 AM
    Like mentioned many apps crash or don't work 100% because of the inability to access the file system or the camera, etc. A good example is Words with Friends that decided this morning there was a newer version and forces me to a browser to update it which obviously we can't do. So until someone grabs the newer APK I can't play that.

I signed some APKs to try out and got about 10% success with stuff I would have used like banking apps, business card readers, etc. On the game side, what I tried usually works but not as good as the original platform it is made for unless the devs that wrote it actually ported it to the native playbook os. And yes, I've had games that forced me to fully reboot the playbook but I've also had that a few times with native stuff too.

Bottom like, emulator is a stop gap and will likely never be much more. Unless it is in the native ecosystem we will not be fully satisfied. So it you like the playbook for what it does and does well, accept that as I did. If you want Android apps or even iOs ones, buy another tablet on those platforms and appreciate how good it will work there.

Zoo
    04-06-12 09:45 AM
    Good morning....I have sideloaded many prior to version 2, and continue to do so...I have also found and downloaded some apps from Appworld that are android conversions as well.

The consistent theme is that although they may be great apps on an Android, they do not work proper on a Playbook....NONE of them.

Who can honestly say they haven't had to reboot their playbook because of an Android app freezing....nobody.

The main reason I bought and kept this thing was the promise of good quality Android apps.

Sure you can load them, you can't multi-task them like native pb apps, you can't update them, e-readers can't find your books in the "book" section, you can't do anything....it is quite clearly just a hack.

I expected much more.
    All the android apps i use work great. Never had a problem with them. Tweetcaster, Isilo, Carcassonne. No problems what so ever. So your statement all android apps dont work is not true
    04-06-12 11:44 AM
    I also use windows live messenger with no problems also
    04-06-12 11:48 AM
    I'm sorry....I just don't believe. Try Words With Friends, or any of the e-readers out there.
    No thanks, I'm not interested in those. They may well crash, I don't know.

I don't run Android apps much, but it's a simple fact that I've had no crash requiring me to reboot with the 3-4 that I've used for more than a few minutes.

I suppose when you say nobody can honestly say that, or that you don't believe it, you perhaps meant just "Wow, I'm surprised" or "Oh good, so it may depend on the app" or something, since I assure you I gain nothing by lying about the matter.
    russnash likes this.
    04-06-12 12:06 PM
    I guess my point is that it is hit and miss....and the one's that work are in a different environment than native playbook apps. This was misleading from the onset.

The native playbook apps work flawlessly, and the playbook itself with multi-tasking, etc. is the best out there...

The Android app piece just seems to take away from all that...square peg, round hole with a bit of duct tape.
    fanatical likes this.
    04-06-12 02:01 PM
    Two issues here
    1. Side loaded apps - not endorsed or expected to work by RIM.
    2. Apps converted by developer and submitted to app world.

For the first, suck it up muffins you hack and play expect it to fook up.

As for the second CONTACT THE VENDOR and post the results of your interactions here, at least put that much effort into it instead of coming strait here and whining "nothing works". These threads are getting annoying and have zero value. Change your diapers and go back to your moms basement.
    kbz1960 and fanatical like this.
    04-06-12 02:43 PM
    actually, I am able to multi-task android apps without losing data. you do it within the android player (not in the PB gui). swipe down from the top and your recent/opened apps icons show at the bottom. i have no issue switching between dolphin browser on a webpage and dropbox or google maps via the player. sure its not as pretty as the playbooks native app switching, but the functionality is there (for me anyway... can someone else confirm it DOESNT work?)

possibly another case of derps syndrome.

we see you trollin... we hatin...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 03:08 PM
    Try using Air Browser, (free app) you can access Android and
    PB files with it. As for the apps, it won't work flawlessly when Android apps were designed to operate on Android systems, but it gives RIM some time to get additional developers engaged in producing more native apps for the PB while appeasing everyone that was unhappy with the minimal selection of App World choices. Overall PB is a great tablet, just needs some good os tweaks and more quality apps!
    04-06-12 03:09 PM
    Chrispipe:

Trolling? I have no other devices besides Blackberry...never have.

Just because somebody calls out an honest opinion that isn't putting the Playbook on a pedestal is not trolling!!....dork!
    04-06-12 03:20 PM
    don't get cocky. I've had to so many times and I'm running Vanilla. (No sideloading)

And no. Not all apps work.
    04-06-12 03:26 PM
    Been running android apps since beta, never once I had to reboot.
    Few of them might have frozen or force closed but never a re-boot.
    Just went my merry way doing something else and back to normal.
    04-06-12 03:29 PM
    I have some issues with android apps. They dont work as smooth as native apps but most of them work fine. I have NEVER needed to reboot my PB, just close the app and reload thats it. I hope that RIM is taking care of minor bugs in the android apps. I just played Sudoku in an android app and it worked perfectly well, another one Dooqu paint worked great. Try Berry tester which will tell you everything about your PB, however on some screens you cannot go back to main menu.
    04-06-12 04:59 PM
    I have had some freeze ups on Playbook because of an app or two, but I've had apps freeze or act weird on my iPod Touch 4G, rooted Nook Color CM7, Curve 8530, Toshiba laptop. My Grand AM (recently sold) had some funky days with lock system, job disappeared, and my body has an issue with these freaking Cancer cells that keep coming back.

So you see there's always a flaw, but we keep reaching for better.

P.S. Don't forget the Titanic LOL
    saint613 and jaydee5799 like this.
    04-06-12 05:18 PM
    Way to put it into perspective Kevin....Good luck!!
    berrydroidapple likes this.
    04-06-12 08:25 PM
    I have android apps that lock up and are unusable on one android device that work perfectly fine on another.

Not entirely surprising to have that happen on an entirely different platform running their own port of the dalvik vm...
    04-06-12 08:46 PM
    Boy you sure are lucky.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    04-06-12 09:25 PM
    Chrispipe:

Trolling? I have no other devices besides Blackberry...never have.

Just because somebody calls out an honest opinion that isn't putting the Playbook on a pedestal is not trolling!!....dork!
    hey no need for name calling lol i was just playin around

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-07-12 02:58 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD