Hi everyone,

Last night, I purchased an app that appeared in the "whats new" section called Flipper - it's an app that one uses to randomly flip a coin. After purchasing it and downloading it, I went to launch the app but nothing happened, i.e., the app does not launch. Reinstalled, rebooted, and did all the usual stuff.

I emailed the developer who, politely, sent this back as a response: "Flipper requires the Android player to run. Maybe that is still in beta and cannot be used to run the app on your device. I'm sorry about the mix-up."

Fair enough. But that got me thinking. How would an app that requires the Android player to be run be released onto the regular App World that non-beta Playbooks use? Would this be a developer error in how the app is submitted? Would this be a RIM error?
    Shouldn't non-beta Playbook's be unable to see, let alone purchase, apps that require the Android Player?

I guess I'm curious as to how this could occur. In my case, the app was only .99 cents so I'm not too concerned about spending money on something that can not be used right now. But I could see people getting very mad if they spent $10+ dollars on an app only to find out that it requires Android which hasn't been released yet.

Any thoughts?
    01-09-12 07:09 PM
    Same thing happened with me... it was a FREE app, and I AM running OS2.

The app is available in App world and is called "TV Rage Guide by Mohamed Mansour". The way it behaved I didn't take long to realize that this was an android player app, freely available in the BB App World.

Searching just "TV Rage" will also bring it up. I've been longing for a decent TV Guide app for the longest time and thought this was the answer coz I LOVVVE TV Rage.com and it is my one-stop resource to find out what's on TV, etc. Just needed some portability.

Try it and let me know if that works for you, being free, there's not much you can lose besides time and if you're reading this post, you're probably doing that anyway... lol.
    01-09-12 07:48 PM
    devs should have set the minimum OS for that to be available for OS 2. It would only show up if you have OS 2 or higher then. Sounds like a dev mistake
    01-09-12 07:56 PM
    devs should have set the minimum OS for that to be available for OS 2. It would only show up if you have OS 2 or higher then. Sounds like a dev mistake
    Definitely a developer error. But it would be interesting to know what exactly is being checked during the App World approval process.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-09-12 08:14 PM
    It sounds like this is the case. According to App World, the Flipper app that I bought was listed for OS 1.0 and above.
    01-09-12 09:46 PM
    Yeah, its a frustrating but pretty easy mistake to make. File for your refund from appworldbilling@rim.com but I'm not surprised it slipped through. Its really easy to pick OS1 instead of OS2 by accident in the minimum requirements.

Ed
    01-09-12 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD