I am reading that many are awaiting the app player to run multiple android apps at the same time. Will running multiple app players work? From the older demos leaked it looked like only one instance would be possible.
    09-16-11 11:20 PM
    I highly doubt we'll be able to run multiple instances of it. I'd guess it'd be more like the leaked version, where everything ran within the one instance. But who knows, if 2.0 is a big of change as it's being hyped to be.. I guess anything is possible

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 11:30 PM
    Yeah pretty sure it will just be an emulator application. They want to give you access to Android apps in a simple reliable way. The best way is to make one solid android virtual phone.

Wouldnt be surprised to see it more phone like.

Ironically, anyone can compile Android for PB. The hard part is wrapping he vm access to the pb without a native low level sdk. i.e. you can compile it but the pb wont kkow what on earth it is.
    09-17-11 12:00 AM
    When you have the source code, it is not an emulation --- it is a port.
    09-17-11 01:48 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. I would assume one app running at a time. I bet that will be a complaint of many, but one app works for me.
    09-17-11 10:46 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. I would assume one app running at a time. I bet that will be a complaint of many, but one app works for me.
    hah, people are gunna complain about the PlayBook until RIM hands them a full blown desktop experience... nothing is ever going to be good enough...

I like the idea of all the android stuff running in one instance. I think it might motivate some devs to make a native playbook app if their ported over android one does well. ya know? make it actually feel more like a separate app once it's not grouped in with all the other android stuff that's running
    09-17-11 12:36 PM
    hah, people are gunna complain about the PlayBook until RIM hands them a full blown desktop experience... nothing is ever going to be good enough...
    This is what worries me about Windows 8 tablets. It may very well be a full blown desktop experience.
    09-17-11 02:59 PM
    This is what worries me about Windows 8 tablets. It may very well be a full blown desktop experience.
    Maybe and maybe not. To get a nice thin tablet, they are going to ARM chips and the reality is that it won't run the x86 legacy hardware. Devs are going to have to port theirs apps to work with it or use Metro. Either way, its not just going to be instant portable Windows.

They are almost in the same boat with their own software as we are with the Android Player.
    09-17-11 03:19 PM
    I wouldn't worry about Windows quite yet, in my experiance anyways, public interest in windows on mobile devices is low. It's growing, but still low. You say "windows" to your non-technology obsessed person and you'll get a "hah. Yeah. Go to call 911 and end up with the Blue Screen Of Death" joke.
    I know you're talking tablets, but... The BSOD is still in a lot of people's minds.
    Last edited by Juggalo20; 09-17-11 at 09:43 PM.
    09-17-11 09:41 PM
    I wouldn't worry about Windows quite yet, in my experiance anyways, public interest in windows on mobile devices is low. It's growing, but still low. You say "windows" to your non-technology obsessed person and you'll get a "hah. Yeah. Go to call 911 and end up with the Blue Screen Of Death" joke.
    I know you're talking tablets, but... The BSOD is still in a lot of people's minds.
    That was my reaction when I was looking for my first smart phone - NO Windows. That's how I wound up in the BB 8830 camp.
    09-17-11 10:32 PM
    Well, the problem with Windows 8 is that most legacy apps who support x86 architecture won't work for ARM based Windows 8 tablets. So, you might not necessarily get the "full" desktop experience if some of your apps don't work. I personally am waiting for Windows 8 on a device with the Haswell chip and a full day battery life...
    09-17-11 11:29 PM
    09-18-11 12:45 AM
    Remember that AMD is gunning to make some nice low power x86 chips that could see the Win8 tablets with same or similar life to an ARM platform:
    AMD refreshes E and C-Series Fusion APUs, adds DDR3-1333 support, better battery life -- Engadget

If x86 cpus can get to the same power consumption levels as their ARM counterparts, watch out. Intel will quickly follow the same path and then I'd bet you see ARM's dominance in the tablet world quickly dwindle.

I know I'm eyeballing a Win8 tablet...
    09-18-11 01:14 PM

I know I'm eyeballing a Win8 tablet...
    No! Don't abandon us!!!!!
    09-18-11 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD