Has anyone uploaded the android files to a new server? By the time I got home to download the file had been removed.
    there's mirrors all over this thread
    07-22-11 07:31 AM
    From my experience, the average Android user and the Android community as a whole, typically displays strong support for developers. In the Android community, users who even ask for shady sources to find free apps are usually rapidly booted out of the community.

Sure, any platform will have those who feel they're entitled to anything they can grab for free, legal or not. But IMHO, Android users show stronger support for developers as compared to other platforms.
    Exactly.

Go over to XDA and even hint about looking for warez. It'll be a very short stay indeed. The Android community is very supportive of its developers. M
    07-22-11 07:49 AM
    I installed the player and some apps, seems really cool. I deleted it though until it's ready
    07-22-11 08:02 AM
    "Sure, any platform will have those who feel they're entitled to anything they can grab for free, legal or not. But IMHO, Android users show stronger support for developers as compared to other platforms."

Unless of course the entire android platform was ripped off:
    Google Says It Rejected $100 Million Java Deal From Sun in Patent Trial - Bloomberg
    I wonder could this delay android for Playbook? Sounds from the article the Judge thinks Oracle has a pretty strong case against Google.
    07-22-11 08:05 AM
    How do I get the keyboard working... I keep trying to type stuff in the boxes and even swiped for the keyboard... No dice
    07-22-11 08:31 AM
    So now that you guys have gotten over your initial excitement, how is the actual performance of the apps you're side loading? For me, anything that performs as badly as IM+ wouldn't be worth running in the android player. While it's handy to have the apps available that are otherwise not there natively yet, I can't stand a laggy application, or a delay in recognizing key presses.
    07-22-11 09:37 AM
    So now that you guys have gotten over your initial excitement, how is the actual performance of the apps you're side loading? For me, anything that performs as badly as IM+ wouldn't be worth running in the android player. While it's handy to have the apps available that are otherwise not there natively yet, I can't stand a laggy application, or a delay in recognizing key presses.
    The things that work seem to work just fine. No lag.
    07-22-11 09:39 AM
    Will an android slingplayer app work with it? What do you guys think? lol
    I tired multiple versions, does not work.
    07-22-11 10:19 AM
    Seems kinda strange that this is a very recent build but it is considered "old" by RIM. i'm going to guess that this is a proof of concept build of Android 2.3.3 for QNX OS but there's a crazy integrated build of Android 2.2 for QNX that has all the optimization and integration with QNX OS that this doesn't have that's just waiting to get built and tested. So it's new (Android OS build) but old in terms of integration. It is a debug build that is bloated with debug symbols and certainly not optimized. I guess nobody but RIM really knows.
    07-22-11 10:19 AM
    I mean I've just posted to Twitter with the Android client on my BlackBerry PlayBook?! Who would have dream't that up 8mths ago!? - I know its not world changing, but I really think when this Player gets an official, completed release...it's going to be game changing.
    Game changing? Hardly... It won't be able to run most games as well as all of the real tablet apps for Android.

And if running Android apps is a dealbreaker for somebody, wouldn't they just go ahead and buy a real Android phone or tab instead?

I fear the biggest consequence of the Android player will just be even LESS software for Playbooks.
    07-22-11 10:45 AM
    I tired multiple versions, does not work.
    Well hopefully thats cause the android player is so broken lol.
    07-22-11 11:07 AM
    Lol, Android on the BlackBerry. What do the die hard BlackBerry fans think of this? I guess you guys really do need all the help you can get.
    07-22-11 12:13 PM
    Lol, Android on the BlackBerry. What do the die hard BlackBerry fans think of this? I guess you guys really do need all the help you can get.
    i thought apps dont matter? yet these guys are going nuts over them
    07-22-11 12:44 PM
    Exactly. I'm loving every minute of this.
    07-22-11 12:50 PM
    How is it any different that a Mac can boot into Windows?

Regardless, the more choice the better.
    07-22-11 12:50 PM
    Funny how things change. Just like flash never mattered and maybe never mattered to android until it got it either.
    07-22-11 12:52 PM
    Who ever said Apps don't matter? The point is that Apps don't matter as much as some have claimed that they do.
    07-22-11 12:53 PM
    Only a couple of vocal fanboys claimed that Apps didn't matter and that Flash was the savior. A tablet is only as good as its apps.
    07-22-11 12:55 PM
    i agree, apps do matter no matter what any fanboy says. Its really awesome to see this. It will be even better once they tie it into the PB more. Already have the notifications handle via the PB native notification system is great but im sure that means leaving the "android sandbox" open all the time too which kinda sucks. If they can get around that and tie it in better it will really be phenomenal. They will get rid of the ADB and sideloading im sure. It opens to many loopholes even with a sandbox IMO.
    07-22-11 01:05 PM
    How do I properly remove this android player? I held down on it and hit the trash can, but I still have a icon there

edit: nevermind, I rebooted a second time and the icon is gone now
    Last edited by manofice; 07-22-11 at 01:18 PM.
    07-22-11 01:08 PM
    go into My computer and check the directory structure. Or dir command from command line and see if the directories are there. Did you run Android SDK and let it update?
    Thanks for your help! I did get this working last night by just copying the .zip file with platform-tools that was posted into the Android SDK folder. From there, everything else was easy as pie. I don't know why the platform-tools directory was missing, because I did let the Android SDK update. Doesn't much matter now though- I've got my Android player working and I'm having a ball with all the apps.

Appreciate your help once again.
    07-22-11 01:28 PM
    Unless of course the entire android platform was ripped off:
    Google Says It Rejected $100 Million Java Deal From Sun in Patent Trial - Bloomberg
    I wonder could this delay android for Playbook? Sounds from the article the Judge thinks Oracle has a pretty strong case against Google.
    Two companies contesting the use of a few similar elements of Java and the dispute whether Google had an agreement with the previous owner of Java before Oracle bought it, does not equate to the entire platform being ripped off.
    07-22-11 02:07 PM
    I can't wait until we have the Android player fully functional. Opens up so many opportunities.
    I really do hope that the Android player is as fluid and smooth as the playbook os. I find that any android tabs I try out lags. never had a smooth experience with Android tabs.
    07-22-11 02:22 PM
    can someone explain to me when it will be available and if its gonna live up to its potential, its not clear how it works? i saw this artical. Android Apps On Blackberry Playbook | BlackBerry and iPhone worried me a little bit! wondered if i should just take my pb back and get an android tablet.......dont worry i did slap sense it my head again
    09-07-11 04:03 AM
    can someone explain to me when it will be available and if its gonna live up to its potential, its not clear how it works? i saw this artical. Android Apps On Blackberry Playbook | BlackBerry and iPhone worried me a little bit! wondered if i should just take my pb back and get an android tablet.......dont worry i did slap sense it my head again
    By worried, do you mean this?

"The Playbook has a feature they call the �app player� which functions in much the same way a virtual machine does. The draw back is that the average user can�t freely access this app player and install any APK (Android app file type) they wish. How it works instead is that anyone who has developed an Android application that they would like to make available on the Playbook has to recompile the application the way Rim suggest and then submit it. The app will then either be approved and placed in Appworld or denied. So while technically the Playbook does run Android apps it is not as simple as moving a file and you still have to get them from Appworld."

Just so you know, people have been installing all kinds of apps on it, and as you probably know, the App World thing has not started yet.
    09-07-11 11:18 AM
509 ... 18192021
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD