If youre the owner of a BlackBerry PlayBook, youve undoubtedly been waiting for those major improvements to the devices OS that RIM has been promising for some time, which will introduce key features such as email, contacts, calendars, and the most exciting feature of all: Android App Player.

That Android App Player might not be as marvelous as you had first anticipated, however. RIM engineers speaking at DroidCon, part of the Eastern European Mobile Monday Developer Summit in Romania, detailed the limitations of running Android applications on the PlayBook and it doesnt look good.

Though the feature will allow the PlayBook to run Android applications on its QNX platform, there are a number of things that will hinder its usability. Thinq reports:

Androids famed battery-sucking Live Wallpaper, SIP and SIP VoIP, anything built using the Native Development Kit, apps containing only App Widgets, and apps containing more than one activity tied to the Launcher.

In addition, any packages which rely on Google Maps, in-app billing services, Androids text-to-speech engine, or the cloud-to-device messaging system will all be rendered unusable under the companys runtime system.

Thats a lot of things that RIM has ruled out, and its going to mean your Android experience on the BlackBerry PlayBook isnt going to be seamless. Many of the applications you download and install may not function at all when you attempt to run them.

While we may have expected a few minor limitations with the Android App Player, that list is larger than I had anticipated, and I cant help but feel PlayBook users wont be happy about it. Those who have been patiently awaiting the feature are going to find it may not do all the things that they want it to, and it may only add to the growing list of frustrations that PlayBook owners have been suffering.

What do you think about this? Are you unhappy that Android App Player wont be all you expected?

Credit to : Android Apps on the BlackBerry PlayBook Will Be Limited | TechnoBuffalo

Do not Insult either or harass them. Their only "Stating their opinion" You may as well.
    Without using any strong words.
    09-28-11 01:05 PM
    How many times is this dated material going to be posted up?
    09-28-11 01:08 PM
    How did you expect any of thee features to work in the first place? We knew that Android Apps would not have access to Androids cloud system, and certain API's.

I think most people just want to run a bunch of Android games and that's not going to be an issue.
    This is the third thread on this that I've seen. Please look before you post...
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-28-11 01:11 PM
    This is old news. Everyone knew it wasn't going to be perfect. Luckily, most games don't take advantage of most of these features.
    09-28-11 01:15 PM
    No doubt about his post due to you will notice that he is Galaxy SII owner.
    09-28-11 02:20 PM
    I for one can't wait for it
    09-28-11 02:36 PM
    Not surprised at all. Wasn't expecting RIM to support ADK or any of the apps that hook into other Google apps or systems.
    09-28-11 02:40 PM
    Many of the applications you download and install may not function at all when you attempt to run them.
    Wrong, all applications must be submitted to App World, you arent gonna be able to even install the unsupported apps, the user experience should be seamles for the average user.
    lorax1284 likes this.
    09-28-11 02:48 PM
    The user experience should be seamles for the average user.
    It is fair to say that if you had any unfounded expectations that any and all Android apps could be 'ported' to AppWorld, think again.

You will see Android apps in AppWorld that will work very well on the PlayBook. You might not see your favourite / specific apps ported, despite many requests to do so.

It would be interesting to see a list of the top 100 apps on Android and whether or not they will fit into these parameters and therefore be port-able.
    09-28-11 02:58 PM
    This post makes far too many presumptions that I kind of resent, beginning with the Title. I will only speak for myself, unlike you, who seem to want to speak for everyone.

"Android App Player for the BlackBerry PlayBook Won’t Be As Good As You Thought"
    How do you know how good I thought it would be or how much I even cared?

If you’re the owner of a BlackBerry PlayBook, you’ve undoubtedly been waiting for those major improvements to the device’s OS that RIM has been promising for some time, which will introduce key features such as email, contacts, calendars, and the most exciting feature of all: Android App Player.
    Actually, I could care less. Playbook does pretty much everything I need or expected it to do as is out of the box. Would I like more? Sure!!

That Android App Player might not be as marvelous as you had first anticipated,
    *I* , never anticipated that it would do much more than add a zillion more useless apps, none of which fully take advantage of the native hardware. Fully understand that it is only a player and things designed to take advantage of the hardware of another device wont work.

Android’s famed battery-sucking Live Wallpaper, SIP and SIP VoIP, anything built using the Native Development Kit, apps containing only App Widgets, and apps containing more than one activity tied to the Launcher.
    Why would anyone want a battery sucker app? Kind of a device dependent thing anyway, how much battery power gets sucked and how much capacity the battery has in the first place.

In addition, any packages which rely on Google Maps, in-app billing services, Android’s text-to-speech engine, or the cloud-to-device messaging system will all be rendered unusable under the company’s runtime system.
    There are or will be equivalent apps designed specifically for Playbook , so who needs the android equivalent? If there aren't, its a sure bet that developer will fill in the gaps.
    No loss.

That’s a lot of things that RIM has ruled out, and it’s going to mean your Android experience on the BlackBerry PlayBook isn’t going to be seamless. Many of the applications you download and install may not function at all when you attempt to run them.
    Like we have to have ALL the android apps?

While we may have expected a few minor limitations with the Android App Player, that list is larger than I had anticipated, and I can’t help but feel PlayBook users won’t be happy about it. Those who have been patiently awaiting the feature are going to find it may not do all the things that they want it to, and it may only add to the growing list of frustrations that PlayBook owners have been suffering.
    Probably true, probably true...sigh, but it has been discussed on here so it is their own damn fault once again.

Do not Insult either or harass them. Their only "Stating their opinion" You may as well.
    Without using any strong words.
    Wow don't worry, who has time or cares too? That's only something that Android/ipad users seem to have time for.
    Good advice for THIS forum not techbuffalo, Good advice, wrong forum. Isn't that kind of what you do here? Making presumptions that we can't live without android and are sitting here drooling for it? You just insulted my intelligence, and judgement and wasted my time.
    If I wanted android apps and couldn't live without them... probably would have bought an android tablet.....and probably would hang out at techbuffalo
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-28-11 at 03:38 PM.
    09-28-11 03:31 PM
    Lets just wait and see what the Android Player will actually do, if it ever gets officially released that is. Probably just a month, or two, or three away from finding out.
    09-28-11 03:36 PM
    It is fair to say that if you had any unfounded expectations that any and all Android apps could be 'ported' to AppWorld, think again.

You will see Android apps in AppWorld that will work very well on the PlayBook. You might not see your favourite / specific apps ported, despite many requests to do so.

It would be interesting to see a list of the top 100 apps on Android and whether or not they will fit into these parameters and therefore be port-able.
    I've seen the top ten - it was enough to tell me I'm not missing anything...
    09-28-11 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD