The Cloud Reader works on the PB but you can't do highlighting or annotation on it. If these features don't matter to you, then full speed ahead. They matter to me, so I may have to switch to a different platform.

Thanks for this...I've been wondering about how whether or not the Cloudreader works at all on the PB. Good news .
    11-11-11 06:30 PM
    I have upgraded to the latest Os2 version and installed the android kindle reader as i want to be able sync my books between my kindle reader and my PB but the app automatically logs me into amazon.com which as i am in the uk and have my account with amazon.co.uk isnt very helpful. So having seen all the posts about Kindle cloud thought i would give it a go and yes,you guessed it, not available from the uk site !! So am no further on, does anyone have a uk kindle app i can install on my PB ? And if anyone knows anyone at Amazon can they remind them we are here in the uk.
    12-30-11 04:39 PM
    I have an account on amazon.com with the same email as my amazon.co.uk account and I am able to see all my books in the Cloud Reader.
    12-31-11 02:22 AM
    I have an account on amazon.com with the same email as my amazon.co.uk account and I am able to see all my books in the Cloud Reader.
    Same here, I'm a .co.uk customer and I've had no problems with either Kindle Cloud or the Android App...
    12-31-11 03:30 AM
    Bought my wife a Kindle, then she bought one for me. Why not just buy one?
    waiting for a PB app.... got sick of waiting... brought a Kindle. Best thing I've done
    12-31-11 03:45 AM
    So i wonder what I'm doing wrong, dont get any of my books when i log in, any suggestions anybody ?
    12-31-11 04:43 AM
    because it will compete will their amazon kindle fire, the playbook 16gb is currently $199 which is also the price of a kindle fire. So would you rather purchase a dumb down version of android 2.3 with only access to amazon store or buy a playbook that uses playbook os that can run playbook apps and support for future android apps?
    01-05-12 10:19 PM
    because it will compete will their amazon kindle fire, the playbook 16gb is currently $199 which is also the price of a kindle fire. So would you rather purchase a dumb down version of android 2.3 with only access to amazon store or buy a playbook that uses playbook os that can run playbook apps and support for future android apps?
    That's the key problem. I think a lot of buyers prefer the "now" rather wait for something that may come in the future.
    01-05-12 11:21 PM
    So i wonder what I'm doing wrong, dont get any of my books when i log in, any suggestions anybody ?
    I thought the same thing, then realised I was looking at the default DEVICE (or similar) view. Switch over to ARCHIVE, and all your books should be there.
    01-06-12 02:55 AM
    yes. try going to portrait mode as soon as you sign in. your books should appear.
    01-06-12 03:10 AM
    It makes no good business sense for them to block competing tablets. They are selling the Fire at a loss with the hopes of making up the loss by selling content. If they can make money off content WITHOUT taking that initial loss, they're probably better off.
    TommyBB and kbz1960 like this.
    01-06-12 10:55 AM
    And when you don't have a WiFi or 3G connection? What are you going to be reading?...
    I've checked out the Cloud reader, haven't downloaded it to my PB yet, but it has a "enable read off-line" option, which seems to me to mean that you can download books and read them at a later time without access to wifi. Anyone correct me if this is wrong.

And yes, I prefer real books, but it would be handy to have the ability to read from the PB...much less bulky when going on Vaca than a couple of books.
    01-09-12 06:36 AM
    CnukRn99, yes you can download them, but you still need to start the cloud reader. So you can go to read.amazon.com at work, and then read the books in your browser on the way home, but if you are already on the train, you can't get to read.amazon.com to open them (even if it is downloaded locally).

That has been my experience anyway but there might be workarounds.

Because of that, and the other features that are not available on the cloud version, I just used the Android Kindle app.
    01-09-12 07:35 AM
    CnukRn99, Looks like you have a Blackberry phone. If you have a non-ATT bridge version, just use bridge and you can download the kindle cloud reader on the go.

I thought a kindle app would be necessary, but the truth is, the app is for reading books. The kobo reader works better for the playbook. If you are still buying books for Kindle I would recommned just switching. Unless you can't find the book or already have a kindle ereader, there is no reason to keep buying from amazon. They are telling us to f-off. So tell them to f-off.
    downphoenix likes this.
    01-09-12 11:25 AM
    I do like amazon as far as shopping on there. That said, there app stuff leaves something to be desired. And if you REALLY want to buh via Kindle, isnt there that book reader app that costs a measly 99 cents that gives you support for kindle and various other formats? And it has a 4.5* rating, so it cant be terrible surely!
    knottyrope likes this.
    01-09-12 11:03 PM
    That's alright Amazon - I say NO to Kindle book purchases. Hello Kobo Reader & Store.
    01-18-12 09:34 AM
    One person said he was told Amazon was not making a PB version, this does NOT make it a fact! Relax folks, lets wait till the 2.0 version of the PB software comes out. You DO know that the Android Kindle app is working for the folks using the beta/preview right? It's not much of a stretch to see Amazon porting the Android app!
    claffeeba likes this.
    01-18-12 10:57 AM
    One person said he was told Amazon was not making a PB version, this does NOT make it a fact! Relax folks, lets wait till the 2.0 version of the PB software comes out. You DO know that the Android Kindle app is working for the folks using the beta/preview right? It's not much of a stretch to see Amazon porting the Android app!
    It works VERY slowly, then hangs. 1/5
    01-19-12 05:03 AM
    So what if Kindle isn't available. I use Kobo and I like it a lot. If you're trying to get textbooks try contacting publishers and ask them how you could view their stuff on the PlayBook. Make some noise!

If all else fails, go to a book store or library. Real books are excellent to, I use both.

Cloud reader didn't work for me on the Playbook.
    Sounds good unless you have a substantial library of expensive textbooks on Kindle.
    01-19-12 05:05 AM
    It works VERY slowly, then hangs. 1/5
    not slow at all on my Playbook, and has only hanged twice. And I read almost every night.
    01-19-12 06:19 AM
    I've also never had a problem using the Kindle app in the player. I use it every day and have seen no difference between it's functionality and the reader on the Kindle Fire (which I returned to buy my PB!)
    01-19-12 03:55 PM
    I've also never had a problem using the Kindle app in the player. I use it every day and have seen no difference between it's functionality and the reader on the Kindle Fire (which I returned to buy my PB!)
    In all honesty if you think about this from Amazon's side why should they spend any R&D in developing a playbook app if it can just be ported over and work fine, doesn't make sense financially, develop once and let it work on several programs works best.
    01-19-12 04:03 PM
    Well, Amazon is in no hurry to develop a Kindle app for my BB 9930 either. What you're seeing with Amazon is uncertainty in spending $$$ for develpment of apps on BlackBerry in general. All the media hype has half of the US convinced that BlackBerry with declining market share (at about 19% last time I checked) is not worth the investment. I think this is a bit short sited when you consider that BB has 70,000,000 phones in use this very moment. I for one don't believe that BB is going away anytime soon. In the meantime I am not purchasing any books from Amazon. Mobipocket and e-reader are now getting all my business.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-19-12 04:20 PM
    Absolutely radiomark, it's in Apple's and Android's interests to make it a two horse race rather than three. At the end of the day confidence affects an organisation as much as sales. I see endless trickles of meaningless stories in the media about RIM all the time. It's always the same baseless nonsense but it keeps it in people's mind that BB is about to collapse.
    01-20-12 08:33 AM
    Absolutely radiomark, it's in Apple's and Android's interests to make it a two horse race rather than three. At the end of the day confidence affects an organisation as much as sales. I see endless trickles of meaningless stories in the media about RIM all the time. It's always the same baseless nonsense but it keeps it in people's mind that BB is about to collapse.
    Baseless nonsense? I guess you're right. RIM is soaring right now. Things couldn't be better in Waterloo!
    01-20-12 08:37 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD