For what it's worth, after posting in this thread, I wrote to Kindle support yet again and asked about it. And yet again I was told,

"Please understand that we had announced that we'll be launching a Kindle application for BlackBerry Playbook, but we still haven’t released the application or announced any release date for this.
    I've forwarded your comments to our Kindle team and it will be worked on a priority basis. However, once the release date of the application is decided we'll post that on our website. Please check our website from time to time for the update about this new application."

Thar sounds to me like like the app is still planned.
    09-15-11 05:24 PM
    No problem. Until a native Kindle app is released for the Playbook, I'll just deal with Kobo. I'm sure Amazon won't miss my business, any more than I'll miss them.
    defiantpunk likes this.
    09-15-11 05:32 PM
    there won't be a kindle app for PB because RIM has an exclusive agreement with Kobo.

A few weeks ago, I had a lengthy conversation with a senior PB team member regarding the whole PB strategy, execution, etc. While he was mostly not able to say much, he did confirm that even if Amazon had submitted a Kindle app, it would have not been approved due to other agreements. He didn't mention Kobo but the topic was book readers and the lack of Kindle app. It was very strong hint that he referred to RIM's agreement with Kobo, but he simply could not mention Kobo directly.

Since then, I tried the Kindle Cloud and it sucks big time..... hopefully they fix it for PB as well one day. But don't wait for the app, it won't be coming..... sadly
    09-15-11 06:01 PM
    there won't be a kindle app for PB because RIM has an exclusive agreement with Kobo.
    A few weeks ago, I had a lengthy conversation with a senior PB team member regarding the whole PB strategy, execution, etc. While he was mostly not able to say much, he did confirm that even if Amazon had submitted a Kindle app, it would have not been approved due to other agreements. He didn't mention Kobo but the topic was book readers and the lack of Kindle app. It was very strong hint that he referred to RIM's agreement with Kobo, but he simply could not mention Kobo directly.
    Since then, I tried the Kindle Cloud and it sucks big time..... hopefully they fix it for PB as well one day. But don't wait for the app, it won't be coming..... sadly
    As much as RIM's management might be liars or kept lying about stuff like native email or android os or I don't think they are that incompetent to have an exclusive agreement with kobo and shun amazon.
    09-15-11 06:10 PM
    As much as RIM's management might be liars or kept lying about stuff like native email or android os or I don't think they are that incompetent to have an exclusive agreement with kobo and shun amazon.
    Take it or leave it - I'm just reporting on a very lengthy and detailed conversation.
    I have been a complete BB addict since 2002 (RIM 857 or something like this) and was very frustrated with the lack of Kindle app. The guy could only indirectly verify the reason. He said "it doesn't mean that if amazon had submitted their app, we would have approved it. We have other agreements we must adhare to" And the context was ebook readers. So you can make whatever you want of it. But just as an anecdote, Kobo is a Toronto-based startup company (well, more medium size company than startup but still the underdog compared to Amazon, Google, etc) and we all know Canadians love to help each other
    xindy likes this.
    09-15-11 06:35 PM
    I can't even get the cloud reader to load. It gets stuck at the screen telling you how to pin books. Any suggestions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 09:48 PM
    i dont get whats wrong with the cloud reader. it works fine. Heck. my wife is reading a book on her playbook right now next to me. i have noticed it matters if you start it in portrait mode or not. dont get me wrong id rather have an app but the cloud reader is not exactly an epic fail.
    09-15-11 10:09 PM
    I still can't belive people actually pay money for ebooks. I am by no means poor, but I refuse to pay good money for locked down digital content when any book you can think of is out there for free with none of the restrictions that the paid versions have. Would rather buy a real book lol
    I like ebooks for the same reason I like mp3s. I can carry my entire library on one device. Video games and tv have destroyed my attention span, so I like that I can read a few chapters of one book and then skip to a different book without having to carry anything larger than my PlayBook, which is the size of a very thin hard cover book. The cloud reader works very well for me and I dont mind Kobo either, so I don't have a problem with the lack of a native app. And when the android player finally drops, the Kindle app for android should work. It worked with the leaked player.
    09-15-11 10:14 PM
    Here's what we know.

Amazon announced there would be a PB app a year ago, and they continue to affirm that one is coming.

There is no Kindle app for PB.

It doesn't take a year for Amazon to develop this app, and even without the general release of the SDK, they could have had access to a beta to get it done.

So the reason for the delay isn't, in my opinion, a technical issue. So, I think there's not much left but the possibility that RIM offered Kobo exclusivity, at least until Android arrives. If RIM had decided that Kindle would never be available, they would surely have communicated this to Amazon, and Amazon wouldn't be continuing to promise an app for PB. But if they know that it will become available when Android does, they would do just what they're doing: give vague (since they have no inside knowledge of when Android will land) but consistent assurances that there will be a Kindle app for PB that "delivers the same Kindle experience as the iOS and Android apps".
    09-16-11 07:31 AM
    OR.... Amazon does not want to share the wealth - the proceeds of book sales with Rim and they are at an impasse.
    09-16-11 08:22 AM
    Here's what we know.
    Amazon announced there would be a PB app a year ago, and they continue to affirm that one is coming.
    There is no Kindle app for PB.
    It doesn't take a year for Amazon to develop this app, and even without the general release of the SDK, they could have had access to a beta to get it done.
    So the reason for the delay isn't, in my opinion, a technical issue. So, I think there's not much left but the possibility that RIM offered Kobo exclusivity, at least until Android arrives. If RIM had decided that Kindle would never be available, they would surely have communicated this to Amazon, and Amazon wouldn't be continuing to promise an app for PB. But if they know that it will become available when Android does, they would do just what they're doing: give vague (since they have no inside knowledge of when Android will land) but consistent assurances that there will be a Kindle app for PB that "delivers the same Kindle experience as the iOS and Android apps".
    That makes sense. That might be the reason why the rep mentioned no kindle app for the blackberry "tablet" but not the blackberry "playbook"; which probably was another way of saying no native Kindle app for the tablet(QNX) but did not rule out kindle on playbook running on android.
    09-16-11 08:25 AM
    Use the Android version, I imagine it will get ported.

I called kindle support and inquired about the kindle app. They initially referred to the kindle for blackberry phone. I was transferred when I insisted and explained my query. The second person I was transferred to mentioned he was aware of the amazon announcement of kindle for 'blackberry tablet' but Confirmed that at this time Amazon will not be releasing Kindle App specifically for the 'blackberry tablet'. I got the sense he has received questions about this before but was strange he kept referring to the playbook as 'blackberry tablet'
    Anyways its disappointing to know that playbook got left out for some reason, maybe because of the rumored amazon tablet or some other reason that he could not comment on.
    09-16-11 01:23 PM
    Vote with your dollars. I have been a good client of Amazon for many years now. But I don't accept that they don't have an app for the PlayBook (no, I don't buy that Kobo-exclusive theory). I have purchased well over $100 in e-books since I bought my PlayBook about 6 weeks ago. All of them have been purchased from Kobo. It won't exactly hurt Amazon's numbers (and I still think they're a great company) but it feels good to spend my money on those vendors who supported my platform of choice right from the start rather than taking a wait-and-see attitude.
    09-16-11 05:36 PM
    Kindle apps are way over hyped... I have a Kindle 3 and there isn't an app in this world that would make me use any tablet over it. I have actually crossed the line where I prefer e-books on my Kindle over real books.
    09-17-11 10:50 AM
    I love the Kindle app for my Storm2 and the companion app for my laptop.
    Sync well together.

Good Luck
    09-17-11 07:43 PM
    Yeah the lack of a native NDK/SDK, compared with this eventual Android Player, combined with the general lazy nature of humans, means we are waiting for 2.0 and Android player to probably see any of these marquee name apps on the PB. Why develop a separate app when you can "port" a working one over for minimal development cost.
    09-18-11 09:05 AM
    I like ebooks for the same reason I like mp3s. I can carry my entire library on one device. Video games and tv have destroyed my attention span, so I like that I can read a few chapters of one book and then skip to a different book without having to carry anything larger than my PlayBook, which is the size of a very thin hard cover book. The cloud reader works very well for me and I dont mind Kobo either, so I don't have a problem with the lack of a native app. And when the android player finally drops, the Kindle app for android should work. It worked with the leaked player.
    I think he meant he don't PAY for ebooks. He never said he don't use them or he don't like them. There is a free book spot out there on the web where any ebook you can think of is free. You can even download and then open them all using your PB.
    mradberry likes this.
    09-19-11 11:24 AM
    I think he meant he don't PAY for ebooks. He never said he don't use them or he don't like them. There is a free book spot out there on the web where any ebook you can think of is free. You can even download and then open them all using your PB.
    There is Project Gutenberg which offers 36,000 free eBooks directly and over 100,000 thousand through affiliates. Of course, they don't offer "any ebook you can think of" free, that would be illegal. I buy eBooks all the time. It feels good to do the right thing and authors like to eat, too.
    09-19-11 07:06 PM
    There is Project Gutenberg which offers 36,000 free eBooks directly and over 100,000 thousand through affiliates. Of course, they don't offer "any ebook you can think of" free, that would be illegal. I buy eBooks all the time. It feels good to do the right thing and authors like to eat, too.
    I agree, piracy is bad. But oddly its also ridiculously easy these days. I'm sure it is illegal to do it. However I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being sued for it. If anyone has I missed it. All I hear about is movie pirates being sued. But morally it is still wrong and you shouldn't do it.
    09-19-11 07:17 PM
    The Cloud Reader works when you aren't connected. You download your Kindle books to the PB when you are on Wifi, then you can open them anywhere. I love my Kindle, and love being able to read my Kindle books on the PB. It doesn't need an app!
    09-20-11 10:29 PM
    The Cloud Reader works when you aren't connected. You download your Kindle books to the PB when you are on Wifi, then you can open them anywhere. I love my Kindle, and love being able to read my Kindle books on the PB. It doesn't need an app!
    How does that work for you when it works for no one else? I have books saved, and I cannot open Cloud Reader unless I have a WiFi or Bridge connection.
    09-21-11 02:35 PM
    One problem I have with the cloud reader is that it doesn't sync my progress. Very annoying as I will read a book on multiple devices. Anyone figure this out?
    10-16-11 09:56 AM
    So what if Kindle isn't available. I use Kobo and I like it a lot. If you're trying to get textbooks try contacting publishers and ask them how you could view their stuff on the PlayBook. Make some noise!

If all else fails, go to a book store or library. Real books are excellent to, I use both.

Cloud reader didn't work for me on the Playbook.
    Last edited by anthogag; 10-17-11 at 09:23 PM.
    jedibeeftrix likes this.
    10-17-11 09:08 PM
    I've been using their Cloudreader and it works pretty well on the PB. I must admit that I still prefer real books
    Thanks for this...I've been wondering about how whether or not the Cloudreader works at all on the PB. Good news .
    11-11-11 06:23 PM
    I agree, piracy is bad. But oddly its also ridiculously easy these days. I'm sure it is illegal to do it. However I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being sued for it. If anyone has I missed it. All I hear about is movie pirates being sued. But morally it is still wrong and you shouldn't do it.
    I totally agree with you, I don't like piracy at all. You never know what exactly you are getting, I rather pay for something that I know will be good quality.
    11-11-11 06:26 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD