What's the deal with Amazon not releasing a Kindle app for the plabook??

It's even easier now that they just have to port their Android app to App World.

I know I can sideload the app myself, but I think its wierd that Amazon won't officially bring their app to the Playbook.

Also, I don't think it'e relevant that Amazon now has their own tablet because:
    1) they still have a Kindle app for Android and iOS
    2) Amazon is selling their content, not the hardware (recall the Fire sells for a small loss).

So what's the deal?
    03-04-12 04:28 PM
    Yeah I don't know what the deal is, especially since the side loaded android app runs pretty good on the pb (I haven't had any issues)... Heck! They don't even need to 'port' it over to a .bar - as the community has already done this - lol... Makes no sense to me and makes no cents to Amazon - but whatever.
    03-04-12 04:32 PM
    I believe they all waiting for TAT... I personally don't like the Android versions of all does apps... TAT will change the game...
    03-04-12 05:20 PM
    What's the deal with Amazon not releasing a Kindle app for the plabook??

It's even easier now that they just have to port their Android app to App World.

I know I can sideload the app myself, but I think its wierd that Amazon won't officially bring their app to the Playbook.

Also, I don't think it'e relevant that Amazon now has their own tablet because:
    1) they still have a Kindle app for Android and iOS
    2) Amazon is selling their content, not the hardware (recall the Fire sells for a small loss).

So what's the deal?
    Could it be that rim has a contract with kobo/7digital that doesn't allow them to officially have a similar broker (amazon) in app world? Just a guess. So it's not amazon to blame in that case.
    03-04-12 05:29 PM
    ahhh, that could definitely be it, but I hope not. It's not smart for RIM to handicap their ecosystem like that. Even Apple, the most controlling company in the world, allows competitors to its iBooks offering.

Could it be that rim has a contract with kobo/7digital that doesn't allow them to officially have a similar broker (amazon) in app world? Just a guess. So it's not amazon to blame in that case.
    03-04-12 06:53 PM
    I think that whatever it is, its the same reason netflix is not on the playbook yet. Money. You'll notice how quickly and easily netflix came out on the vita. SCEA may not equal Sony Pictures, but you have to see the correlation. Meanwhile there are other options on the playbook (I dont particularly care for them but they are there) I imagine there is a "no snag flims or any other streaming content and we'll consider netflix" as well as there is a "no kobo or any other e-reader style program and we'll consider kindle"

I think its hogwash. However, time and time again, it's a matter of bring the service to us, or we'll figure a way to get it here ourselves. All of the development tools are free, I just wish I was a better programmer.
    03-05-12 12:36 AM
    ahhh, that could definitely be it, but I hope not. It's not smart for RIM to handicap their ecosystem like that. Even Apple, the most controlling company in the world, allows competitors to its iBooks offering.
    i've heard Apple recently locked the kindle app for iPad so you can use stuff you already own, but you cant BUY a new book through the kindle app anymore. can anyone confirm this without me having to download it?
    03-05-12 02:05 AM
    i've heard Apple recently locked the kindle app for iPad so you can use stuff you already own, but you cant BUY a new book through the kindle app anymore. can anyone confirm this without me having to download it?
    I believe they just removed the link to the store. No big deal. I think everyone knows how to type that into a browser.
    03-05-12 04:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD