For those of you who haven't been following along with our converting of Android applications to the Playbook, one of the recent applications was the Amazon Android AppStore:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I have tested the store and confirms that it DOES indeed launch AND lets you download applications. That's the good news.

The bad news is that due to the security settings on the Playbook, the installation of these applications fail.

However, there is a workaround.

If you are downloading them through the Amazon store, you should be able to find the APK files in the following directory:

Code:
    /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.cenezla/cache
    Then, once you have the APK, follow the directions provided in the appropriate sticky, and then, as long as the application is not paid for, submit the BAR file to:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...V1Z0E6MQ#gid=0

This information is based on the workaround for AT&T Android phones found here

Please keep in mind that not all applications will work, so purchasing applications should be done at your own risk.
    mister_turtle and livejam like this.
    10-26-11 05:39 PM
    Excellent. Thanks for the tip. I had uninstalled the Amazon store after I got the "app world" error

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 07:06 PM
    aye thanks OP much apreciated
    10-26-11 07:50 PM
    Actually, if you are brave (or a geek), it can be even easier. If you are already set up to do conversions of APK to BAR then with just a little more work you can set up an AVD (Android Virtual Device). I have two - on at Android 1.5 and one at 2.2. Then with a little work you can get the Android Market installed in this image. In addition you can install the Amazon App Store as well.

From that device you can download any apps you like (and have access to as the Android Market is greatly limited when it comes to an AVD). Once installed you can use Astro File Manager to save the APK and mail it to yourself.

As long as you have the Amazon App Store also on your BBPB then any appstore apps you install are good to go.

The most interesting thing is that Amazon has a Full App for free each day. Yesterday was the OfficeSuite PRO version.

The only thing I don't know is if you try to install a converted APK on your BBPB for which you personally didn't download from Amazon App Store if it will work. I know when I installed OfficeSuite Pro on my BBPB it would not run until I also installed the Amazon App World.
    10-27-11 08:39 AM
    Code:
    /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.cenezla/cache
    Then, once you have the APK, follow the directions provided in the appropriate sticky, and then, as long as the application is not paid for, submit the BAR file to:
    Of course the question I cannot answer for myself at the moment is "How do you get the APK from "/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.cenezla/cache" to your PC for conversion?

Bryan
    10-27-11 09:29 AM
    It does not work in The Netherlands. Not even with a proxy-server. Due to country-regulations? download fails and get an error about my country.
    10-27-11 09:54 AM
    Of course the question I cannot answer for myself at the moment is "How do you get the APK from "/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.cenezla/cache" to your PC for conversion?

Bryan
    • Use Astro File Manager to either copy/move it into a folder that is accessible through USB
    • Upload the file through either shell or FTP or Box.net or Dropbox and then download to computer.
    • Email it to yourself

What we'd like to know is how you got a virtual machine working. Can you PM your email and BBM so I can add you to our BBXTeam? We were discussing this very topic yesterday.
    10-27-11 01:05 PM
    • Use Astro File Manager to either copy/move it into a folder that is accessible through USB
    • Upload the file through either shell or FTP or Box.net or Dropbox and then download to computer.
    • Email it to yourself

I have Astro installed and I had a **** of a time finding a directory that was availabe in the Android Player and over USB. Finally figured /sdcard/downlod - felt silly when I figured it out.

As for emailing it, I do that from the AVD's I have, but on the BBPB it won't work - either the mail software (android email AND Kaiten email) do not let you select just any file to download). In addition using the "send to" selection in Astro causes Kaiten to crash (in the App Player).

What we'd like to know is how you got a virtual machine working. Can you PM your email and BBM so I can add you to our BBXTeam? We were discussing this very topic yesterday.
    It took a LONG time to get the AVD's up and running WITH the Android Market - but it's working great right now. I will send you a PM
    10-27-11 03:15 PM
    I have Astro installed and I had a **** of a time finding a directory that was availabe in the Android Player and over USB. Finally figured /sdcard/downlod - felt silly when I figured it out.

As for emailing it, I do that from the AVD's I have, but on the BBPB it won't work - either the mail software (android email AND Kaiten email) do not let you select just any file to download).

It took a LONG time to get the AVD's up and running WITH the Android Market - but it's working great right now. I will send you a PM
    Surprised the Android Dropbox or Box.net wouldn't work. I haven't tried it myself, but I would've thought that would've been the easiest.

Also, yes, now that you mention it, I did forget to put the directory accessible by both. Sorry about that.
    10-27-11 04:14 PM
    The people using the App Store from Amazon, is it working only in the US? Is there a workaround for people in the EU? PRoxy Server from US does not seem to work.

I get this error on my Playbook and browser;
    We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions.
    10-28-11 12:52 AM
    Not sure if it is only the US, but I can confirm that I am in the US and it's working.
    10-28-11 06:09 AM
    Any of you who have installed the Amazon App Store keep getting an Update notification for it? I've been getting an update notification for the Amazon App store lately in the upper left corner of the PB just like the typical PB notifications. However, I haven't tried to really update it. I was just curious what you are all doing...
    11-17-11 05:18 PM
    Any of you who have installed the Amazon App Store keep getting an Update notification for it? I've been getting an update notification for the Amazon App store lately in the upper left corner of the PB just like the typical PB notifications. However, I haven't tried to really update it. I was just curious what you are all doing...
    The upgrade is in the cache folder. I have repacked it and it works very well.
    11-19-11 12:35 PM
    \misc\android\Android\data\com.amazon.venezia\cach e

Thats the path on the one that I see now. (Yes i know this is an old thread)
    03-14-12 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD