View Poll Results: Good idea partnering with Amazon?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, go for it, we need the content.

32 74.42%
  • No, best to keep everything under your control.

5 11.63%
  • Undecided.

6 13.95%
    In light of the recent story that Amazon and RIM discussed a buyout but have decided to maybe just work together going forward, what do you think of Amazon becoming intergrated into the BlackBerry OS?

Kind of funny that story went up shortly after I mentioned something in the Netflix thread.

I think it would be a good idea really, Amazon has nothing to lose and it would help RIM focus more on their OS and software rather then content. The partnership I would view as a win win.
    12-20-11 07:49 PM
    I agree... it would be a win-win.

Technically, though, I think RIM needs Amazon a bit more than the other way round, which might make any agreement no as equitable as we would like.
    12-20-11 08:35 PM
    I agree... it would be a win-win.

Technically, though, I think RIM needs Amazon a bit more than the other way round, which might make any agreement no as equitable as we would like.
    This I disagree with. RIM has been doing this side of the industry (making good phones, providing security, commited user base, etc.) very well, they just never focused on the content aspect of the new mobility market (phones and tablets).

Sure, Amazon made a tablet that sold well, but isn't exactly the best out there (the Nook Tablet is far superior overall). And the Kindle Fire is just a lower quality version of the Playbook anyway. Imagine Amazon paired with QNX, makes me "jizz in my pants".

This possible partnership would allow each company to focus on what they do best:

RIM with fantastic devices, communications, and QNX OS.
    Amazon with advertising, content, and their marketing genius.

If I was the CEO of one of the companies, I would make it happen. You can't ignore the problems that the Android OS and devices are having right now with lawsuits and copy right infrigement problems right now either.
    Last edited by scott.slater; 12-20-11 at 09:42 PM.
    12-20-11 09:30 PM
    Look at it this way: who needs it more?

Or... who can live without it the most

Consumers don't care about OSes, IMHO. RIM needs content badly. Amazon already has access to a free OS they have been invested in for almost a year. They have the Appstore.

Now, dealing with QNX means they start from the ground up, and have to work with a manaement team Wall Street is not hot on. Thus, RIM, IMHO, has do a whole lot more giving than they may feel comfortable with.

Amazon has shown they can push a subpar (specs wise compared to PB) tablet and crush RIM sales-wise. The success of the Fire makes any agreement less likely.
    12-20-11 09:45 PM
    Look at it this way: who needs it more?

Or... who can live without it the most

Consumers don't care about OSes, IMHO. RIM needs content badly. Amazon already has access to a free OS they have been invested in for almost a year. They have the Appstore.

Now, dealing with QNX means they start from the ground up, and have to work with a manaement team Wall Street is not hot on. Thus, RIM, IMHO, has do a whole lot more giving than they may feel comfortable with.

Amazon has shown they can push a subpar (specs wise compared to PB) tablet and crush RIM sales-wise. The success of the Fire makes any agreement less likely.
    And all of this investment they are making into an OS that is about to be shut down.

In fact, you can argue that RIM with the Android emulator agreement with Oracle will have more rights to play Android Apps then an Android device does.

And you can't argue with all the patents they have "laying" around. There is a lot more to this mobile game then we will ever know. Why would a company like Amazon want to expend resources on something they wouldn't have to?

About the Kindle being a success, imagine if the Playbook was released with the Amazon marketing team behind it? And I imagine that Amazon would have helped cover the cost of getting them into peoples hands by giving you a $100 voucher for their website, $100 gift card, $100 off, one year free of Prime, etc. If something like this happens in Feb (which is what I would be focusing on if I were these companies) with the re-release of the Playbook could be just as big or bigger then the Kindle Fire was. And Tablet OS 2.0 will be able to run the Amazon Kindle Fire skin in the emulator (thats right, you get the Playbook and the Kindle Fire in one device, how sweet is that).
    Last edited by scott.slater; 12-20-11 at 10:16 PM.
    12-20-11 10:03 PM
    I agree it is a pretty equal relationship

Amazon is using Android, but Can't be liking they are using Android, Google and Amazon are NOT friends, Amazon is trying to operate as much outside of the google world as they can while using Android,
    So Amazon would benefit a lot from a robust OS and Hardware manufacturer to Partner with.

RIM clearly needs content, Amazon has it, so for RIM that is a short cut to what they will eventually get, so a Partnership is ideal here
    12-20-11 11:33 PM
    Would RIM make any money from such a relationship? Conventional wisdom says no (at least, not from licensing).

And then, you have the problem of ecosystem. Amazon has spent a good amount of time building it's walled garden within the Android ecosystem. Creating a BB ecosystem would take some work (not insurmountable, IMHO).
    12-20-11 11:56 PM
    Yes RIM would make money, they would sell more phones and tablets, and they would have thier own apps as well to still sell.

As for the ecosystem, the Tablet OS can run the Android Amazon skin while Amazon and RIM worked together to get Amazon content (Amazon Prime, Kindle, an eBay type app for shopping, what ever else they could build together) "intergrated" into the future OS.
    12-21-11 02:38 AM
    I think its better for both of them than competing against each other- then they could have two models - the $200 fire and the $300 playbook. Not a bad idea.

They look like big brother and little brother anyway with the same case.

For the limited android the fire has - Rim may as well stuff the little brother with QNX and an android player -
    would also attract more developers for the two platforms.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-21-11 at 03:27 AM.
    12-21-11 03:25 AM
    It would not be a partnership. Amazon would buy RIM for its patents and scrap the unprofitable or unneeded divisions of the company. Playbook and QNX would probably get the axe. Even though the Fire has only been selling for a month or so, I think it has already established the platform that Amazon will continue using for its tablet devices. Also, from Amazon's point of view, the Fire is vastly superior to the Playbook, precisely because it is a stripped down version of the Playbook, that Amazon can sell for $200 without losing money.

But, for those who want access to the impressive Amazon ecosystem, the solution is simple and you don't have to wait--buy a Fire. Tablets are nifty toys, and there's nothing wrong with having one of each I may do that myself.
    12-22-11 07:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD