that is why approve is in quotes, its pretty much instant availability
    its actually instant all the time, just the app only refreshes once a day so using the app you wont always see new content striaght away, from the mobile site you do.

there are pitfalls to this open store type too, for example dont get me started on how many themes are currently selling infringing hello kitty`s worldwide copyrights. it works both ways for sure
    05-10-11 06:49 PM
    coming from linux.....having to be forced to one location for any software/applications is very frustrating.

so much so that if i actually had to pay for the device, it proly would have gone back.
    05-11-11 03:13 AM
    AiFlex have you ever heard anything from RIM?

I'm now just going to assume aMail isn't going to come out until RIM rolls out their own email.

Sad, sad...
    05-11-11 10:15 PM

I'm now just going to assume aMail isn't going to come out until RIM rolls out their own email.

Sad, sad...
    I don't know. I check App World in the mornings and again at night and it seems that they are only releasing about 2 dozen new apps a day (at least under the "newest" tab). It could be just a function of the approval backlog. You would hope that someone at RIM would exercise some judgment and prioritize apps so that we don't get buried under thrown-together games and drawing apps while we are awaiting the release of the first fundamental productivity app like a full-functioning native email. Let's hope Aiflex is using the delay to improve upon aMail.
    05-11-11 10:33 PM

Sad, sad...
    This is showing a very bad side of RIM's. To think that a small one man band with no money comparatively (no offense, aiFlex) could achieve this before RIM with their advanced logistics, timing and a hundred programmers is extraordinary.

And then to put a lid on it is downright "apple-esque".
    05-11-11 10:34 PM
    You would hope that someone at RIM would exercise some judgment and prioritize apps so that we don't get buried under thrown-together games and drawing apps while we are awaiting the release of the first fundamental productivity app like a full-functioning native email. Let's hope Aiflex is using the delay to improve upon aMail.
    sorry, this arguements been had in another thread, if they start prioritizing either by developer or category of app, it would KILL the ecosystem and devs wouldnt touch RIM. anybody that suggests they should favour one category/developer over another needs to seriously think about what they are saying
    05-11-11 11:32 PM
    sorry, this arguements been had in another thread, if they start prioritizing either by developer or category of app, it would KILL the ecosystem and devs wouldnt touch RIM. anybody that suggests they should favour one category/developer over another needs to seriously think about what they are saying
    They are OBVIOUSLY favoring/prioritizing their own app over this one. Don't be naive.
    05-12-11 08:12 AM
    BB, you will see more complaints of this as time passes, Even folks who are reviewing the PB are listing the lack of quality applications and the lack of some types of apps as the top issue.

Again, not saying they need to stop taking them 1st come 1st serve but it
    is not a good business practice for any store to leave some of their shelves empty while other shelves are overstocked. Keep the current process
    going, but go through the queue and fast track some applications that the PB App Store is lacking .

If a Dev wants their application fast tracked then write one that there
    isn't already a hundred of. This will encourage them to produce needed applications and increase their sales.

It is the Devs that need to think this over seriously, not the consumer.

Business 101. Supply and demand.

The customer drives the successful business, not the supplier.
    This is why RIM is loosing market share. The have been producing
    phones they like and not phones the consumer wants/needs.

As I have stated before and I don't mean to be harsh, but Devs can be hired while customers cannot.

Tim
    05-12-11 08:17 AM
    Someone needs to make a real small pointless app and submit it and see how fast it gets thru. That would tell us how much "prioritizing" might be going on
    05-12-11 09:29 AM
    BB, you will see more complaints of this as time passes, Even folks who are reviewing the PB are listing the lack of quality applications and the lack of some types of apps as the top issue.

Again, not saying they need to stop taking them 1st come 1st serve but it
    is not a good business practice for any store to leave some of their shelves empty while other shelves are overstocked. Keep the current process
    going, but go through the queue and fast track some applications that the PB App Store is lacking .

If a Dev wants their application fast tracked then write one that there
    isn't already a hundred of. This will encourage them to produce needed applications and increase their sales.

It is the Devs that need to think this over seriously, not the consumer.

Business 101. Supply and demand.

The customer drives the successful business, not the supplier.
    This is why RIM is loosing market share. The have been producing
    phones they like and not phones the consumer wants/needs.

As I have stated before and I don't mean to be harsh, but Devs can be hired while customers cannot.

Tim
    you obviously miss the point, if RIM (or any platform) turned round and said for example `oh, yea productivity apps now get preferance over games for approval` i guarantee you all the games devs would go `but platform x doesnt put us on a backburner, we are off to them, bye bye` and you just lost a shedload of devs.

yes the customer might drive the profits of the successful business, however if devs abandon the platform through stupid policies being in place, then customers wont have squat to buy
    05-12-11 09:32 AM
    my question is, where did AiFlex go? He was very active on this forum and thread specifically up until the release of aVNC and Telnet roughly.. since then, radio silence- I wonder if aMail (or AiFLex) is being bought out by RIM and he has signed some sort of NDA or something? If not, AiFlex, do you have any updates for us from RIM regarding aMail?

Thx!
    05-12-11 09:48 AM
    you obviously miss the point, if RIM (or any platform) turned round and said for example `oh, yea productivity apps now get preferance over games for approval` i guarantee you all the games devs would go `but platform x doesnt put us on a backburner, we are off to them, bye bye` and you just lost a shedload of devs.

yes the customer might drive the profits of the successful business, however if devs abandon the platform through stupid policies being in place, then customers wont have squat to buy
    You didn't read what I wrote:"Again, not saying they need to stop taking them 1st come 1st serve"

Did you miss that part? Again?

Tim
    05-12-11 09:57 AM
    You didn't read what I wrote:"Again, not saying they need to stop taking them 1st come 1st serve"

Did you miss that part? Again?

Tim
    no i didnt miss that, but did you miss that you said several lines later
    but go through the queue and fast track some applications that the PB App Store is lacking
    which would mean they arent first come first served.
    05-12-11 10:02 AM
    I don't know if we are missing the point or just talking past each other. I certainly understand that RIM can't be seen to be putting its thumb on the scale for one developer over all others in a general sense, but in this specific context they should risk the ire of the developers and get a native email app to market. The Aiflex app made for a nice video demo, but until its released we don't know if it will fill the bill. But RIM should do some damn thing to get native email. What good will all this scrupulous concern about developers be if the PB flounders for want of basic functionality? How hard would it be to entice developers then? Get the PB moving and the developers will come follow. RIM has done a lot to change the way it does business with developers but we are still the end user customers -- both of the RIM products and the apps these reluctant developers make and sell. Not only do we have to abide RIM's glacial releases (overstated for emphasis) but now we have to walk softly for fear of upsetting the delicate sensibilities of the developers. Just as long as we keep all the developers placated, we can wait forever and a day for our apps.
    05-12-11 10:13 AM
    I certainly understand that RIM can't be seen to be putting its thumb on the scale for one developer over all others in a general sense, but in this specific context they should risk the ire of the developers.
    so where do you draw the line then? or dont you feel that would set a dangerous precedent?
    05-12-11 10:31 AM
    so where do you draw the line then? or dont you feel that would set a dangerous precedent?
    In this particular scenario, I think the line is pretty obvious.

RIM/BB has always been known for their email capabilities. Every Blackberry is built around its email system. It's the core, and integrated into the OS. For all we know, aMail is a fine product; However I'd go out on a limb and predict that it's a basic functioning app, but nowhere near the caliber of what RIM's known for. Now mix in the point that it's a paid app, and RIM's got some serious bad press coming their way. Headlines internet wide would read similar to "Playbook has lowered the bar on email capabilities, and you have to pay for it!"

In a day when they're being scrutinized at every turn, there's no way they're going to allow their core service to appear to be slipping. Result: They released the device without native email, despite the point it would have been simple for them to put out a bare bones basic email client for basic needs.

So what to do? Temporarily upset a few developers and suffer a temporary setback? Or get bombarded with bad press when it appears their products and services are moving backward? The former would incur much less damage than the latter.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 05-12-11 at 01:05 PM.
    thedark722 likes this.
    05-12-11 01:02 PM
    Someone needs to make a real small pointless app and submit it and see how fast it gets thru. That would tell us how much "prioritizing" might be going on
    and then do a major update after it was approved to change the application process to an email one!
    Tinyk likes this.
    05-12-11 02:16 PM
    Submitting two different apps isn't necessarily a good measure for the approval speed though. I think the approvals get handed to different people and the speed that it happens is probably due to personal backlogs. Also it then gets sent to the test house, whose backlog is based on whatever previous project they were testing (which is random based on when you submit it vs when they get it).

So there's no way to control the variables...
    05-12-11 02:20 PM
    catagory - division - result
    game - goobers - **** yes!
    partial app - uber goober - what the heck!
    pointless app - nuts - may as well to expand the appworld
    email - blackberry software testing department - um, i think we got this. we'll just set this here for now.

complaint - duffas mngr - blows dust off amail/early bird, nope, dont see anything here. sets it back down.
    05-12-11 02:27 PM
    my question is, where did AiFlex go? He was very active on this forum and thread specifically up until the release of aVNC and Telnet roughly.. since then, radio silence- I wonder if aMail (or AiFLex) is being bought out by RIM and he has signed some sort of NDA or something? If not, AiFlex, do you have any updates for us from RIM regarding aMail?

Thx!
    If this is not happening, then Rimm should buy this app just for goodwill.
    It would solve all the negative publicity potential and prevent any possibility of this app competing directly with the native email apps.

Who knows? There might even be some technology that RIMM just bought that might enhance their native apps.
    cgl88 likes this.
    05-12-11 05:45 PM
    "complaint - duffas mngr - blows dust off amail/early bird, nope, dont see anything here. sets it back down"

I've been using Outlook Web Access for my work email/calendar/contacts so havent really missed this functionality. But, reaching for my tinfoil hat , whatever happened to the Early Bird email program by Pepper.pk?
    05-13-11 01:24 AM
    dunmo, but that dev doesnt really respond much or thread here like aiflex is.

its free promotion, so not sure why they wouldnt.
    05-13-11 01:53 AM
    It is clear that RIM is putting a strangle hold on some application. Ones that many want or need.

I also find it amazing that the online forums and Blackberry support websites (non-official) seem unable, unwilling or unmotivated for some reason to take on this story
    and put the questions to RIM.

I see anymore CrapApps and stupid games and I am going to barf.

Tim
    05-13-11 01:45 PM
    It is clear that RIM is putting a strangle hold on some application. Ones that many want or need.

I also find it amazing that the online forums and Blackberry support websites (non-official) seem unable, unwilling or unmotivated for some reason to take on this story
    and put the questions to RIM.

I see anymore CrapApps and stupid games and I am going to barf.

Tim
    I'm starting to feel the same. Every morning the first thing I do when grabbing my PlayBook is do an AppWorld search for 'Amail' which still returns no results.

Suuuuxxxxxxx.....
    05-13-11 02:24 PM
    I'm starting to feel the same. Every morning the first thing I do when grabbing my PlayBook is do an AppWorld search for 'Amail' which still returns no results.

Suuuuxxxxxxx.....
    ummm...DITTO! only i do it multiple times/day.
    05-13-11 02:59 PM
189 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD