None the less, this app was out on AppWorld waiting for testing and approval before BBW conference. RIM could not let this go through until they could showcase their "upcoming" native email client.

From the vids I've seen of their effort, this would outshine them anyway. If RIM's email client is not released VERY soon, and this is not approved before that then it serves to prove my point.

Articles say "RIM hints at email client for Playbook early May" Well, anyone look at the calendar? To me early May means 1st 10 days, mid May is 2nd 10 days, end of May is last 10 days of the month.
    According to the RIM VP of Product Development who was demoing mail on the PB for BB World ( ) said that mail/calendar were coming this summer - which is more like June/July. If correct, I can't imagine that RIM is going to wait until the summer to release aMail. I think that this is taking a longer time than other apps because it might be considered more of a security risk than other apps and so is requiring greater inspection, just speculation.
    05-09-11 10:12 PM
    your right, there is no way someone didnt make them, hence they are there for anyone to use (premium items).

calendar app - easy agenda for blackberry playbook
    contacts app - personal assistant

email/twitter your right, there are a few IRC style chat clients, but none of the `mainstream` names.

to be clear the 2 apps above i havent tried, simply searched `calendar` and `contacts` on my playbook
    personal assistant could be interesting, but it isn't integrated into anything (they say email popup in a future release).

easy agenda is a daytimer, not a calendar. no reminders, alarms, daily/monthly views, meeting invitations, etc. The developer does have a very nicely done website for his business though - gotta give him credit for that.

both apps have zero integration with exchange, notes, google, etc.

Bottom line, if i didn't have bridge, there's nothing in App World that would make me even consider giving up my google calendar/contacts, or OWA version of same.
    05-10-11 12:25 AM
    yes, that looked good too. hope they are not just looking for some way to bill us an addition 10-20 bucks/month to use it!
    05-10-11 01:08 AM
    everything has to run thru appworld...no sideloading available yet
    No sideloading available, period. This came directly from Paul Bernhardt this past week at BlackBerry World.
    05-10-11 01:40 AM
    Just give us this app. I love all the products RIM makes but not having a native email app is killing me! RIM will have another update this week? Now with apps like TWitter and a Native email app? (Unconfirmed).
    05-10-11 04:14 AM
    No sideloading available, period. This came directly from Paul Bernhardt this past week at BlackBerry World.
    i really hope its not true, it would mean once again they "limit" the potential of the PB
    05-10-11 07:27 AM
    i really hope its not true, it would mean once again they "limit" the potential of the PB
    how does not sideloading limit the potential of something? usre if it cost to enter the store from a dev end you could have a point, but its free for a dev to join appworld so its not relevant
    05-10-11 08:25 AM
    if we could sideload then we wouldnt be still waiting on RIM to approve this mail app. He could sell it via his own site and we could then load it ourselves. Really you dont see the benefit of getting 100% of your sale?
    Last edited by howarmat; 05-10-11 at 08:49 AM.
    05-10-11 08:34 AM
    I think Crackberry should do a front page write up on the missing applications
    and the suspicions posted here.

Perhaps they can see if RIM has a comment or not.

Tim
    05-10-11 08:37 AM
    What about putting your PB in Development Mode and installing an app like that? I used the emulator to test installing the CrackBerry web launcher, and if you go to the Options menu now, under Security, there is a Use Development Mode option. So if it works the same as it did on the emulator, then it should be possible to side-load, right?
    05-10-11 08:39 AM
    if we could sideload then we wouldnt be still waiting on RIM to approve thie mail app. He could sell it via his own site and we could then load it ourselves. Really you dont see the benefit of getting 100% of your sale?
    yea, running a ecommerce site is something all devs want to do, then they`ll also have to promote it themselves as its not on a store. while you do have a small point, the list of cons to running that way is far outweighed by the pros a appstore gives any developer
    05-10-11 08:48 AM
    this would also allow mobihand support for a store. which "approve" apps a **** of alot faster than appworld in my experience.
    05-10-11 09:34 AM
    this would also allow mobihand support for a store. which "approve" apps a **** of alot faster than appworld in my experience.
    mobihand dont approve anything, its far more akin to android market in sense of click post and its done.
    05-10-11 09:40 AM
    What about putting your PB in Development Mode and installing an app like that? I used the emulator to test installing the CrackBerry web launcher, and if you go to the Options menu now, under Security, there is a Use Development Mode option. So if it works the same as it did on the emulator, then it should be possible to side-load, right?
    It's not that simple on an actual BB, as I HAVE tried. You need a developer token which I believe you get from RIM after you sign up as a developer.
    05-10-11 10:38 AM
    I think Crackberry should do a front page write up on the missing applications
    and the suspicions posted here.

Perhaps they can see if RIM has a comment or not.

Tim
    That won't happen. Crackberry would fall out of favor with RIM and would not get the early info it needs to pass on to its membership. It wouldn't be good business, and it is a business after all. Their best course of action is to not just remain neutral, but to remain absent from the discussion totally.

Be happy we have this forum to express, suppose, guess about it ourselves.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 05-10-11 at 11:04 AM.
    05-10-11 11:02 AM
    yea, running a ecommerce site is something all devs want to do, then they`ll also have to promote it themselves as its not on a store. while you do have a small point, the list of cons to running that way is far outweighed by the pros a appstore gives any developer
    There are a lot of developers who are quite happy to market their own product. As well it blocks developers from selling their apps in other markets.

But you also have to look at it from the end-user perspective. In effect, it limits the end-user to only installing apps as dictated by BB/Appworld. I'm willing to bet that it's a rare BBphone user that hasn't installed any apps from outside Appworld.
    05-10-11 11:17 AM
    There are a lot of developers who are quite happy to market their own product. As well it blocks developers from selling their apps in other markets.

But you also have to look at it from the end-user perspective. In effect, it limits the end-user to only installing apps as dictated by BB/Appworld. I'm willing to bet that it's a rare BBphone user that hasn't installed any apps from outside Appworld.
    Gotta love GetJAR.com, LOL.
    05-10-11 11:30 AM

you`d be very supprised, the majority of `non tech` users (thats prob not the right phrase) wont stray outside of appworld or go looking for a way to do so. i worked in vodafone sales for over 2 years, not once did i ever see a BB with the mobihand/cb client installed.

you and i that browse the web and forums will look in other places of course, people who pick up their BB and go to themselves `appworld does apps? cool` wont then go looking for extra avenues.

id agree its a fair bet that no CB user only uses appworld, but i think from an `average joe` perspective thats not the case.

also most of these developers that market their own products (myself included) use mobihand/appworld, not our own ecommerce sites.
    Last edited by BBThemes; 05-10-11 at 12:44 PM.
    05-10-11 11:36 AM
    ...all these developers that market their own products (myself included) use mobihand/appworld, not our own ecommerce sites.
    Not all of us. A LOT of developers use own own sites in addition to the 2 big boys.
    05-10-11 12:40 PM
    Not all of us. A LOT of developers use own own sites in addition to the 2 big boys.
    totally agreed, i meant to put most, but do you use your site to actually sell the items? or as a means to provide store links to mobihand/appworld/other as this is what the majority do
    05-10-11 12:44 PM
    Digital goods. Also think of other popular names (Beejive just to name one) who aren't actually selling their apps, per se, but are selling licenses. Having a site where someone can simply download the app and decide to pay for a service later is key. When I was told that there were no plans to allow this, I sort of felt like I had just asked Steve Jobs.
    05-10-11 12:48 PM
    And offering apps through your own site also allows for public beta releases, and quick turnaround on bug fixes. (and the ability to test fixes in the wild before posting them to said store-sites)

Just imagine how many apps have suffered through a week or two of bad reviews just because of bugs that were fixed the day after someone noticed. (Yet we have to wait quite a while longer for the fix to be available for public consumption.)

An E-Mail app is especially vulnerable to this problem, considering that they cannot possibly test it in advance with all possible mail servers, message encoding formats, etc, etc. (and yes, I speak from experience here)
    05-10-11 12:56 PM
    So... no update on the approval process?
    05-10-11 01:10 PM
    It's starting to get really annoying now. Every morning there's a handful of new 'crapplications' published (a gazillion BMI calculators, converters, to-do lists and others) but not the one app everyone is waiting for: a bloody email client.

I'm really disappointed in RIM for doing this to AiFlex who is offering a perfect solution for people who want mail right now rather than 'some time this summer'. It's ridiculous.
    danield76 and Hartikrishna like this.
    05-10-11 01:11 PM
    mobihand dont approve anything, its far more akin to android market in sense of click post and its done.
    that is why approve is in quotes, its pretty much instant availability
    05-10-11 06:04 PM
189 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD