02-22-12 05:02 PM
75 123
tools
    No. I would say many more BB (Bridge) users don't see the update as a big deal. You are not alone.

But not all PB owners are Bridged... And for most of them, it is a big deal.

Btw, what are your guesses as to what percentage of Playbook owners also have a BB phone?

My guess is 30/70%, 30% being Bridged owners.
    02-08-12 01:38 PM
    Im not ecstatic about native email either but im still happy its finally coming to the pb.

im EXCITED ABOUT
    using my BB as a remote for my PB
    maybe a better pdf reader
    texting from my pb.
    hopefully answering calls on my pb as a speaker phone
    and i heard a rumour on the forums that skype is coming. (but i don't want to get too excited b/c a rumor is just a rumor lol.)

thats about it.
    I've been using OS2 dev beta - and the folder thing is nice, but you get used to the new layout in days.
    I am happy to have only the one device syncing and getting mail through the bridged apps. But that is partially because I am administering an email server which many people have a phone, desktop client, web client, and tablet all syncing. Lots of pointless connections.

Can someone explain what the big deal is having a bridged speakerphone w/ the playbook. I mean, you have to be within like 20 FT of AN ACTUAL PHONE to bridge over bluetooth...so why would it be advantageous to have speakerphone on the playbook? In my opinion, that would be wasted development time.
    02-08-12 01:40 PM
    The native PIM will have some neat features but also could be a security nightmare if a playbook is lost or stolen. I prefer the bridged apps for security but I have to admit I'm impressed with the account integration in the Native PIM.
    ActiveSync supports remote wipe which can be performed by the end user. Not knowing exactly how RIM's implementation is being deployed, we can't be sure how this will work, except to place our trust in RIM's continued commitment toward users and device security.
    02-08-12 01:47 PM
    Thanks for the great reply and the link!

Is it possible for RIM to keep any surprises when the beta is already out there with people using it? Can they keep features out of the beta? Or is there some sort of Cone of Silence (5 internets to anybody old enough to know that reference) that beta users are under to keep secrets?

Thanks again.
    RIM is already keeping many features out of the current Dev Beta... so most definitely, there are different builds internally to RIM (including the native Messages, Calendar, Contacts apps). So it is reasonable to assume there could be a couple other things they are hiding from the Dev beta.
    BlueRocks likes this.
    I'm not concerned with emails as much as I am looking forward to the calendar app. I've been holding off downloading similar apps for a day-planner-type function to see if the calendar would suffice... hopefully it will. If not, I buy GroovyNotes.
    I dont have a BB device to bridge with so I am looking foeward to the native apps. Bridge apps are not dissapearing i believe so there is no need to "not want" the native apps.

Does the bridge email app have twitter,fb,etc integration?
    02-08-12 01:48 PM
    That is from Get Smart. Call me on your shoe phone so that we can make arrangements for my prize
    Don't you have the updated shoe 'video chat' phone yet?
    02-08-12 01:57 PM
    Yeh I'm in the same boat.. I Don't really need thr native stuff
    02-08-12 02:01 PM
    Does the bridge email app have twitter,fb,etc integration?
    Nope, it does not (unless you're pulling in those updates to your enterprise mailbox already)... though not the same thing.

The integration may pull me towards using the native messages app because of this, though I will continue to use Bridge apps 'on the go'.
    02-08-12 02:01 PM
    Don't you have the updated shoe 'video chat' phone yet?
    Soon. My shoe phone died. Shame really. It was going to retire tomorrow.
    I would have replied sooner but your knee was on my chest and I couldn't breathe.

Missed it by that much!
    02-08-12 02:03 PM
    The truth is that the PB will be dead in the water within a few months if they don't come out with the OS2 update, and the fundamental functionality that every other tablet in the world has, except the PB.
    Only a minority of PB owners have a BB phone, so the upcoming functionality (we hope) may save the platform. Trying to use email, contacts, etc, on the current PB OS, without bridging, is absolutely horrible.
    02-08-12 02:23 PM
    I am excited for the native apps because I do not have a BB (yet). The Playbook was my first BB product, and not one I expected to buy. I have an Android phone, and absolutely hate it. I don't like the OS, quality, the amazing lack of *any* support, and I really don't like the quality of 97% of the apps, to the point that I don't like that the BB Playbook is getting Android apps. I rather fewer but quality native any day.

I only got the Playbook because of the price drop recently and was planning on getting an iPad, and then an iPhone. I like the PB so much though, I will be getting a BB for my next phone. I passed superficially understanding, and now truly understand the term "crackberry"!
    Hgouck and BlueRocks like this.
    02-08-12 02:25 PM
    The truth is that the PB will be dead in the water within a few months if they don't come out with the OS2 update, and the fundamental functionality that every other tablet in the world has, except the PB.
    Only a minority of PB owners have a BB phone, so the upcoming functionality (we hope) may save the platform. Trying to use email, contacts, etc, on the current PB OS, without bridging, is absolutely horrible.
    In case you haven't heard, RIM has committed to a release of the 2.0 OS this month.

Secondly, most folks use their phones or pc for e-mails and contacts. Unless a tablet is the only device you own for communication, then then every tablet out there EXCEPT the PlayBook with Bridge is a horrible experience.
    02-08-12 02:28 PM
    Well, I currently do not have to worry about managing WORK emails outside of the office. I don't own a BB phone, or any smart phone for that matter. I do get my emails on my desktop @ home, but even then, I don't use my iMail like I should since I use LIVE & GOOGLE for my webmail. I just really want to have it all in one place. I want the calendar feature & if there is a Texting app, that would be great.

I know Skype is just a rumor at this point, but I do hope it gets here. I like the word "FOLDERING" because it makes sense. That is one feature I am looking forward to. I hope that Netflix, Hulu & Dolphin make it on to the PlayBook, even if it's later on this year. All I know is that I can't wait for the update!!!

I love my PlayBook!
    BlueRocks likes this.
    02-08-12 02:40 PM
    Don't care for myself. But I do care that it makes the PlayBook generally much much more marketable.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-08-12 02:47 PM
    When the Playbook first came out, everyone screamed about it not having native PIM apps. I didn't care because I was able to bridge. Through the bridge, I was able to access all of the BB's PIM apps without having to manage them both in two places.

When we were 'promised' native PIM apps 'sometime this (last) summer', I actually became concerned about it. My first Playbook was 16gb. I had already loaded some (not loads of) music and a movie or two only to notice that space was dwindling. It made me wonder how much space would be eaten up by redundant emails being sent to my Playbook on a regular basis. Since then, I've been giving the bridge quite a workout and, for the most part, it has performed admirably and I saw no need for native PIM apps.

When the demos of the PIM apps first stared appearing at DevCon US, another thing struck me. One of the things that I've always liked about Blackberry is that it is capable of syncing all Outlook apps. I might be in the minority, but I acuaually use Tasks and Notepad quite a bit and rely on having their data available in Outlook as well as on my phone. Given what's currently been shown, I'll still have to rely on bridged Tasks and Notepad so I'll be switching back and forth between native and bridged apps.

Another question I have is, aside from syncing a phone and a Playbook with Outlook, how is a contact that I enter on the Playbook going to make it onto my phone? Given that currently, I only sync about once a week, I'm gonig to have to remember which device I put new contacts and events on.

As far as security is concerned, I haven't seen anything mentioned in any of the recent demos, but I've been told that Blackberry Balance is coming to the Playbook. My understanding is that even if you are not on BES, it will provide Blackberry Protect functionality to the Playbook. I assume that this would include the ability to do a remote wipe.

Conclusion:
    I'm not going to immediately jump into the native PIM pool once the upgrade comes out. I want to see what's really there and what functionality that I mentioned above is or is not actually handled on the Playbook.

However...

There is so much more to this update than just the native PIM apps. There are so many under-the-covers improvements that I'm chomping at the bit for. The enhancements for text creation and typing look awesome! The OS is optimized as much, if not more than the current 1.x while including more behind the scenes processes (Android player for one). The Bluetooth enhancements are going to open up a whole new ways to use the Playbook - from audio out to Bridge remote and open-on functionality. And I'm sure there are many more that haven't been discusses yet.

So, while I agree with the OP that I'm not completely sold on the native PIM apps, I can't really comment until I see what they actually are. But given this, there are going to be enough goodies in 2.0 to definitely make it worth the wait.
    Dafunkhead and AggreX like this.
    02-08-12 02:56 PM
    I won't mind the new native apps, though I wouldn't miss them if I didn't get them. But what I would find highly objectionable is the inclusion of useless, unstable, uber insecure 'rrhoid apps, most of which I am sure are nothing more then kiddy games. I use the Playbook in every conceivable fashion except for playing games or watching full length movies. The PlayBook has essentially taken the place of what I have used my smartphones for, offering a larger screen in the process, and rendered those smartphones to what they were designed to do, and that is a portable telephone device. The PB is my portable PC.
    I agree, I made the same point in reverse last week when my BB died and I had to wait over the weekend to replace it. I felt without the bridging that my Playbook was crippled and incomplete, yet some, including several Blackberry users said that they seldom if ever used bridging. My 9810 has for the most part been regulated to its original role as a mobile phone.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-08-12 03:34 PM
    I don't know enough about OS2 to decide how to approach this email issue, once it comes out I think I too will wait to see what others have experienced and if some of the functionality of bridging will be lost.
    02-08-12 03:45 PM
    Don't use them then. I find it simply astounding that people can actually complain about having native e-mail and other things that they won't have to use if they don't really want to because they're so defiant and close-minded that they fail to see the big picture outside of there small little world. I mean, wow, just wow.

Whining about things that do NOTHING but improve the experience and attractiveness for ALL TYPES OF CONSUMERS (You know, the pretty hefty population of the world that doesn't have a blackberry?...) and make the device more attractive by including the EXACT things that made the device stumble in the first place.. You seriously are against this? You make no sense at all.

More users, more demand for content, more apps, more functionality... Need I go on, there is absolutely zero downside in having native e-mail, zero.

Yikes.

People never cease to amaze me

I weep for humanity.
    Last edited by jwn66; 02-08-12 at 03:52 PM.
    02-08-12 03:46 PM
    I dont have a BB device to bridge with so I am looking foeward to the native apps. Bridge apps are not dissapearing i believe so there is no need to "not want" the native apps.
    Wow, someone gets it. /hi5
    02-08-12 03:50 PM
    What makes having native apps (email,contacts, etc) good is it will give people options. Since I do own a BB and have for years, the impact on me will be small. I will continue using Bridge because it works so well for me. The other enhancements will be nice to have. Since the first day I brought the PB home it has done what I expected. It has become my primary computing device. I find I use my 9930 BB mostly to make phone calls and use the PB for most other functions.
    02-08-12 03:53 PM
    Speaking for myself, I just can't wait for this OS2.0 update. I bought my PB knowing that one day, RIM would wake up and release a Native email application onto the PB.

Looking more then forward for the Os2.0 update.
    02-08-12 03:56 PM
    I do understand why some would want the native messaging apps but I doubt I will use them. I seldom use bridge mode.
    I have a phone in my pocket for email, calendar and contacts. Mine is a Blackberry but it wouldn't matter.
    If I am stuck I can always use webmail through the browser.

I am looking forward to the GUI improvements, Folders and the Dock. Also looking forward to the Android Player.
    I am also hoping for USB-OTG at some point.
    02-08-12 04:18 PM
    I want native apps for myself and success of PB. Bridge feature is good for people who have BB, but it is also limiting factor for tablet market full of non-BB users.

Of course, no one is excited about crap apps on App World. We don't want just more apps, we need more quality apps, at least the popular ones on competing products need to be made available.
    Count me as one of those users. I have an IPhone and I can't wait to have native Email on my PB. Come that time, my Apple device will become just a phone. Everything else will be done on my PB.
    02-08-12 06:23 PM
    As a business user, where my truck is my office, i need those native apps. I cringe everytime i have to use bridge. I want my emails, contacts and calander to ALWAYS be there, without anything holding me back.
    02-08-12 06:54 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD