As a business user, where my truck is my office, i need those native apps. I cringe everytime i have to use bridge. I want my emails, contacts and calander to ALWAYS be there, without anything holding me back.
    Just out of curiosity, what issue have you experienced with bridging that you fear holding you back?
    02-08-12 06:05 PM
    Don't use them then. I find it simply astounding that people can actually complain about having native e-mail and other things that they won't have to use if they don't really want to because they're so defiant and close-minded that they fail to see the big picture outside of there small little world. I mean, wow, just wow.

Whining about things that do NOTHING but improve the experience and attractiveness for ALL TYPES OF CONSUMERS (You know, the pretty hefty population of the world that doesn't have a blackberry?...) and make the device more attractive by including the EXACT things that made the device stumble in the first place.. You seriously are against this? You make no sense at all.

More users, more demand for content, more apps, more functionality... Need I go on, there is absolutely zero downside in having native e-mail, zero.

Yikes.
    People never cease to amaze me
    I weep for humanity.
    Wow. Over-react much?

I went back to my original post to see if I was 'complaining' and 'whining' about the native apps. I don't think I was. Basically, I just wanted to know what else was coming in the release that I could get excited about since the native apps held little promise to me and they seem to be the main 'talking point' about the new release.

Actually, as I read some the the posts in this thread and learned more about the integrated facebook/twitter/etc. and the (what was it called) Activelink (?), those native apps are becoming appealing to me!

Zero downside? That sounds like a challenge! There must be something. Can anybody think of any downside to native apps?

In the meantime stop weeping for humanity. Weep for the fact that you are a Bell customer!
    02-09-12 07:46 AM
    Wow. Over-react much?

I went back to my original post to see if I was 'complaining' and 'whining' about the native apps. I don't think I was. Basically, I just wanted to know what else was coming in the release that I could get excited about since the native apps held little promise to me and they seem to be the main 'talking point' about the new release.

Actually, as I read some the the posts in this thread and learned more about the integrated facebook/twitter/etc. and the (what was it called) Activelink (?), those native apps are becoming appealing to me!

Zero downside? That sounds like a challenge! There must be something. Can anybody think of any downside to native apps?

In the meantime stop weeping for humanity. Weep for the fact that you are a Bell customer!
    You complained that you don't want to deal with 4th source of emails. The title already clearly states that you DON'T want native apps but you're getting them, which is also a complain.

It would only make sense they keep the bridging support. Native apps would be addition to what's available today, it should NOT replace bridging.

There are supposed to be a lot of other enhancements but details are not known. The weak and half-baked built in apps can be improved, not just addition of native email app, which will hopefully make PB more competitive.
    02-09-12 07:56 AM
    Summary: More apps including NativeEmail means more sales, meaning more users meaning more apps.....

One tradeoff - I suspect native email/etc will take up more room in the OS leaving less room on the overall device to add other 3rd party apps.
    02-09-12 09:14 AM
    There is 16-64GB of solid-state disk (SSD) on the Playbook (and 1GB RAM). Native email app will be tiny by comparison. Will make virtually no difference to number of 3rd party apps.
    02-09-12 10:11 AM
    There is 16-64GB of solid-state disk (SSD) on the Playbook (and 1GB RAM). Native email app will be tiny by comparison. Will make virtually no difference to number of 3rd party apps.
    Take into consideration that e-mails, calendar data, contacts will be stored locally (cached) with these apps. Still though, as long as one manages their multiple mailboxes, this should not have a huge impact on their total storage.
    BlueRocks likes this.
    02-09-12 10:15 AM
    You complained that you don't want to deal with 4th source of emails. The title already clearly states that you DON'T want native apps but you're getting them, which is also a complain.

It would only make sense they keep the bridging support. Native apps would be addition to what's available today, it should NOT replace bridging.

There are supposed to be a lot of other enhancements but details are not known. The weak and half-baked built in apps can be improved, not just addition of native email app, which will hopefully make PB more competitive.
    I don't think most people were complaining, just stating that as they relied on email through bridging and hoped to continue to do so they were not terribly excited with the prospect of native email. As for the most part if your playbook goes everywhere with you, as mine does your access to the internet is supplied for the most part through your Blackberry anyhow so native email seems somewhat pointless, even though some of the features I have seen demonstrated look interesting.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and expressing it is not "whining"
    BlueRocks likes this.
    02-09-12 11:56 AM
    The thing I like the most about my PlayBook is the bridged apps. I currently receive the same emails on my home computer, my laptop, and my Torch (9810). I really don't want to have to manage the emails on a fourth source - the PlayBook.
    Will I be able to keep using the bridge to connect to my Torch for email, calendar, and contacts when OS 2.0 comes out?
    If I am not looking forward to the native apps, then what else is there to look forward to? Foldering (is that a word?) is something I guess. Is that all there is?
    I want to be pumped for the new OS. What am I missing?
    Well, within "native" you can actually ADD bridge. I mean that your previously bridged accounts will be pushed into the "unified" (I'd better call it like that) client, meaning that you'll benefit of all PIM integration and UI enhancements ...
    Still, I noticed bridge email icon and app was still present on OS2 (preview) at devcon; so you may ignore the "native" ...
    (Then I start to wonder if I understood it right ... anyone to confirm ?)
    02-09-12 12:07 PM
    I don't think most people were complaining, just stating that as they relied on email through bridging and hoped to continue to do so they were not terribly excited with the prospect of native email. As for the most part if your playbook goes everywhere with you, as mine does your access to the internet is supplied for the most part through your Blackberry anyhow so native email seems somewhat pointless, even though some of the features I have seen demonstrated look interesting.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and expressing it is not "whining"
    I'm not arguing native email app is somewhat pointless to those who have BB and bridging capability. Unless it was clearly known that the bridging will no longer be supported, there's no need to complain about it yet.

How many PB owners out there you think have BB with them? Of the 5 colleagues who purchased PB recently (my influence of course), none have BB with them.

Even for those who currently own BB, would you not want the prospect of more people (non-BB owners) getting attracted to the device, driving sales and market share, which will eventually lead to a better product overall?
    02-09-12 12:08 PM
    I guess the issue here is:

Will I have the option to turn bits of Bridge off? I mean, I don't need to get notifications for messages I get on BOTH devices. If I could turn off Brigde Messages I guess that would be good enough (Calendar/Contacts would probably go off too synce I sync those with Google).
    02-09-12 12:12 PM
    If you're someone with a BlackBerry then the native apps aren't a big deal. Now if someone has a PlayBook and an iPhone or Android then it will be huge.
    bitek likes this.
    02-09-12 04:57 PM
    Yes...you are.
    02-09-12 05:06 PM
    I'm hoping the native apps will be enough to convince my parents to get one so they can video chat with their new grandson. My dad already has 2 android tablets and an ipad.
    02-09-12 05:11 PM
    I'm not arguing native email app is somewhat pointless to those who have BB and bridging capability. Unless it was clearly known that the bridging will no longer be supported, there's no need to complain about it yet.

How many PB owners out there you think have BB with them? Of the 5 colleagues who purchased PB recently (my influence of course), none have BB with them.

Even for those who currently own BB, would you not want the prospect of more people (non-BB owners) getting attracted to the device, driving sales and market share, which will eventually lead to a better product overall?
    They don't own a Blackberry! Whats wrong with them? Philistines

I would think they should get one
    02-09-12 05:48 PM
    They don't own a Blackberry! Whats wrong with them? Philistines

I would think they should get one
    Small steps, Grasshopper. The ripples in the pond are spreading.
    02-09-12 08:12 PM
    If I was answering this thread six months ago, my answer would have been - "My blackberry has BIS, so I don't need them. The theory is good, though and should help make this a more appealing tablet."

Since then, though, my GF lost her job and we've both had to drop our BIS services to cut costs and stay in the black. I'm still using my 9800 as a payg dumb phone, and the native apps will be great for me to use whilst bridged and using my data allowance.

Not so much 'different strokes for different folks' but another way in which the PB can be cool.
    02-10-12 03:02 AM
    I really don't care for the native email and stuff, the only excitement I find in all of that is the fact that people will now stfu about NOT having it.
    Great comment! I am with you on that one...I cannot wait to hear what else these people will have to moan about that is not available to the PB. As if the competition out there has everything possible. Drives me insane sometimes...
    02-10-12 06:26 AM
    I'm with some of these people. i have no need for yet another email; I receive my work, home, and my BB account email on my Torch, and then my PB. I don't get what another "native" one will do for me... I would like to see a few more functions, like updating/maintaining my contacts from PB, copy and paste, etc. And we (wifey & I) would like to use Skype to our non-PB relatives/friends.
    02-10-12 06:49 AM
    I'm with some of these people. i have no need for yet another email; I receive my work, home, and my BB account email on my Torch, and then my PB. I don't get what another "native" one will do for me... I would like to see a few more functions, like updating/maintaining my contacts from PB, copy and paste, etc. And we (wifey & I) would like to use Skype to our non-PB relatives/friends.
    That's fine, you don't need the native apps. What OP is saying is he does NOT WANT native email client, which is different from saying "do not need" one.
    02-10-12 07:22 AM
    If you're someone with a BlackBerry then the native apps aren't a big deal. Now if someone has a PlayBook and an iPhone or Android then it will be huge.
    I wanted to say this exact same thing. I agree. I use those PIMs on my Bold, which is with me at all times no matter where I am and is always connected, as opposed to firing up bridge or wifi to do them on the PB when the Bold has it in the first place.

Word.
    02-10-12 08:47 AM
    Just out of curiosity, what issue have you experienced with bridging that you fear holding you back?
    Bridge is great, don't get me wrong, but i want more then bridge.
    02-10-12 09:02 AM
    as long as they will sync with my phone i am ok with it................oh wait ! we have that already. so no i do not care about it that much
    BlueRocks likes this.
    02-10-12 09:05 AM
    Since I installed SMS Bridge yesterday I now officially use my BB only for phone calls, seems weird, almost like the old days
    02-10-12 10:28 AM
    Totally agree!!!!!
    02-22-12 03:30 PM
    It's only an operating system upgrade, FFS.

Yes it brings a lot of stuff people have been howling for.

I don't see why. But I admit to being a minority and cynical user.

For me, it did what I needed in style with little effort and no problems. Now I've upgraded to v2, I have finished downloading the free apps that turn the beastie from a moderately fun toy into a useful device.

Just waiting for a decent eReader with multi format compatibility and my Sony Touch may be having a trip to ebay.
    02-22-12 04:02 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD