The thing I like the most about my PlayBook is the bridged apps. I currently receive the same emails on my home computer, my laptop, and my Torch (9810). I really don't want to have to manage the emails on a fourth source - the PlayBook.

Will I be able to keep using the bridge to connect to my Torch for email, calendar, and contacts when OS 2.0 comes out?

If I am not looking forward to the native apps, then what else is there to look forward to? Foldering (is that a word?) is something I guess. Is that all there is?

I want to be pumped for the new OS. What am I missing?
    02-08-12 10:49 AM
    Hi BlueRocks! I'm in a similar situation - though realize there are tons of people without BlackBerries that have not experienced the Bridge Apps, and are really looking forward to the native Messaging/Calendaring/Contacts/etc. They do look great, though I am on the fence, as like you - I have a BB and enjoy how the Bridge works.

You'll still be able to use the Bridge the way you do now - just don't setup/configure the native 2.0 messaging apps, etc.

As for what ELSE there is to be pumped out - I asked myself the same thing. Here's a thread I built with a list of CONFIRMED features (beyond the new native Messaging apps):

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-0-a-693566/

There might be more features that end up coming with 2.0, though RIM will play some cards close to their chest - hopefully there are a few nice surprises when the day comes.
    Last edited by BrizzadMan; 02-08-12 at 11:25 AM.
    BlueRocks likes this.
    02-08-12 10:59 AM
    Im not ecstatic about native email either but im still happy its finally coming to the pb.

im EXCITED ABOUT
    using my BB as a remote for my PB
    maybe a better pdf reader
    texting from my pb.
    hopefully answering calls on my pb as a speaker phone
    and i heard a rumour on the forums that skype is coming. (but i don't want to get too excited b/c a rumor is just a rumor lol.)

thats about it.
    I've been using OS2 dev beta - and the folder thing is nice, but you get used to the new layout in days.
    PadreTremtU and rotorwrench like this.
    02-08-12 10:59 AM
    Not sure if the native apps will function also as those bridge apps or they will act as separate programs.

You will now have the same typing function as on the phones, bug fixes, OS enhancements, more apps aval (if you're into apps), using you bb to type on the pb, as a remote etc. A lot of things coming.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-08-12 11:03 AM
    I really don't care for the native email and stuff, the only excitement I find in all of that is the fact that people will now stfu about NOT having it.
    bbmtna, jivegirl14, Deu2e and 20 others like this.
    02-08-12 11:11 AM
    I won't mind the new native apps, though I wouldn't miss them if I didn't get them. But what I would find highly objectionable is the inclusion of useless, unstable, uber insecure 'rrhoid apps, most of which I am sure are nothing more then kiddy games. I use the Playbook in every conceivable fashion except for playing games or watching full length movies. The PlayBook has essentially taken the place of what I have used my smartphones for, offering a larger screen in the process, and rendered those smartphones to what they were designed to do, and that is a portable telephone device. The PB is my portable PC.
    02-08-12 11:14 AM
    I am excited bout ActiveSync and am hoping that if I take an action regarding an e-mail on one of my connected devices then that action will flow to all of the rest!
    02-08-12 11:15 AM
    Im not ecstatic about native email either but im still happy its finally coming to the pb.

im EXCITED ABOUT
    using my BB as a remote for my PB
    maybe a better pdf reader
    texting from my pb.
    hopefully answering calls on my pb as a speaker phone
    and i heard a rumour on the forums that skype is coming. (but i don't want to get too excited b/c a rumor is just a rumor lol.)
    Careful! The last three are not confirmed features you mention for 2.0 and only speculation, so you could be dissappointed when the time comes and those are not at all to be seen.
    02-08-12 11:15 AM
    I am excited bout ActiveSync and am hoping that if I take an action regarding an e-mail on one of my connected devices then that action will flow to all of the rest!
    That's the way it is.
    02-08-12 11:17 AM
    It is not a big deal for us BB users but it is significant for non-BB users. From that perspective I think it is very good. I showed my PB to my neighbor and she got one for her son. They are up to upgrade phones and I showed them a Torch 9820 and an I phone 4 I got from having my other neighbor switch to BB (she got a 9850). They took them both to the beach and came back saying they were going to get the BlackBerry phone.
    The reason was the Bridge feature that saves them so much but notice that they got the PB first.
    The point is that it gives non-BB users an opening to BlackBerry and that is a great thing.

BTW, after using the newer iPhone4 I can see why people like it and why some of us will never get it. Just a different device. For me BlackBerry is the one.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 02-08-12 at 11:23 AM.
    02-08-12 11:19 AM
    Not excited about native email or all the crap apps populating app world either.
    I recognize that others need the email and the sexy Asian picture apps so if thats what it takes then so be it.
    I do like the remote, send to and A2DP.
    From what I understand the bridge and native email will remain separate. I sure hope that's the case.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-08-12 11:21 AM
    I want native apps for myself and success of PB. Bridge feature is good for people who have BB, but it is also limiting factor for tablet market full of non-BB users.

Of course, no one is excited about crap apps on App World. We don't want just more apps, we need more quality apps, at least the popular ones on competing products need to be made available.
    02-08-12 11:26 AM
    You're not alone. I prefer native apps and I use the Bridge for most of the other features OS 2 will bring. I am looking forward to the updated Bluetooth stack and the Remote feature. Overall the Playbook does need the update because it needs to be a standalone tablet. It would be nice if they included Bridged text, social networking and maps.
    02-08-12 11:36 AM
    I really don't care for the native email and stuff, the only excitement I find in all of that is the fact that people will now stfu about NOT having it.

Er, no, no they won't.

Complaining about deficiencies in tech, the company owners, the competitors, the 'missing' features, the broken promises, the long timelines, the number of units sold, the stock price of the company, the power button, the camera flash, the LED notification, the half-baked OS, and on, and on and on...

is a full time job for some people here.

So when a feature is finally released:

it isn't as good as my desktop/laptop
    not fully compatible with hardware/software my unspecified other devices
    not as good as the mail app on my 1998 Compaq PocketBloat I used to have
    doesn't automatically sync to my Nitter/Netflax/Flakebook
    doesn't have psychic predictive text that composes before I think of it
    it should be a different shade of blue

essentially: IT WASN'T WHAT I WAS EXPECTING...SO IT SUCKS!

just sayin'
    02-08-12 12:08 PM
    The bridged apps are the best feature of the PB. I assumed new OS would keep that. It is nice to be able to read email, open and read attachments as well as edit or add contacts and notes from PB . I sync Bold 9900 with laptop (Act! via Companionlink). With the bridged apps it works well. I do not have to clear e-mails from multiple devices, sync multiple devices. The combo is the best. Anyone not using both doesn't get it.
    I sell commercial real estate. This is the perfect tool. Can photo property. Screen shot map or aerial. Edit or label in other apps and get info to clients quickly from the site.
    Looking forward to new OS. I have yet to scratch the surface. the possilities are endless. The youngsters in CRE biz use those cool i devices. That's good too.
    02-08-12 12:17 PM
    So when a feature is finally released:

it isn't as good as my desktop/laptop
    not fully compatible with hardware/software my unspecified other devices
    not as good as the mail app on my 1998 Compaq PocketBloat I used to have
    doesn't automatically sync to my Nitter/Netflax/Flakebook
    doesn't have psychic predictive text that composes before I think of it
    it should be a different shade of blue

essentially: IT WASN'T WHAT I WAS EXPECTING...SO IT SUCKS!

just sayin'
    You missed the obvious and probably first complaint...

Well it should have been there when the PB first came out!

oh, and,
    my device has had it for years already.

anon3969612 likes this.
    02-08-12 12:22 PM
    I don't really want or need native PIM apps on my PB either. The good thing is that having it should help it sell which, long term, is better for all of us.
    The majority of people that want a tablet do want it 'built-in' so it's a good thing.
    The more the merrier
    02-08-12 12:24 PM
    But then they will still complain that it took a year to get it.
    02-08-12 12:24 PM
    There might be more features that end up coming with 2.0, though RIM will play some cards close to their chest - hopefully there are a few nice surprises when the day comes.
    Thanks for the great reply and the link!

Is it possible for RIM to keep any surprises when the beta is already out there with people using it? Can they keep features out of the beta? Or is there some sort of Cone of Silence (5 internets to anybody old enough to know that reference) that beta users are under to keep secrets?

Thanks again.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    02-08-12 12:27 PM
    The native PIM will have some neat features but also could be a security nightmare if a playbook is lost or stolen. I prefer the bridged apps for security but I have to admit I'm impressed with the account integration in the Native PIM.
    02-08-12 12:27 PM
    Those of us that have no interest in Native PIM have now no need for it....However this will become invaluable to those that depend heavily on native PIM...RIM looks to have. A very powerful and highly efficient means of incorporating native PIM...Definitely a competitive edge
    02-08-12 12:29 PM
    great comment, shut those folk right up, until they make something else into a big deal

02-08-12 12:31 PM
    rimm will have thought of the security side of the native email and such, the resulting native emails and such will be secure like fort nox

The native PIM will have some neat features but also could be a security nightmare if a playbook is lost or stolen. I prefer the bridged apps for security but I have to admit I'm impressed with the account integration in the Native PIM.
    02-08-12 12:33 PM
    I plan on keeping one email account on the native app and the activesync will be great. If all is good with OS/2 I'll be buying a PB for my wife. Non techies usually prefer the native email client solution
    02-08-12 12:34 PM
    Thanks for the great reply and the link!

Is it possible for RIM to keep any surprises when the beta is already out there with people using it? Can they keep features out of the beta? Or is there some sort of Cone of Silence (5 internets to anybody old enough to know that reference) that beta users are under to keep secrets?

Thanks again.
    That is from Get Smart. Call me on your shoe phone so that we can make arrangements for my prize
    BBplaybookJS likes this.
    02-08-12 12:37 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD