Hi. When I run certain apps for the first time. Some say "do u want to allow app to access your personal data, etc etc". Do you remove the checkmark or leave it? What data are they after?
    12-03-11 07:37 PM
    The personal data usually means geo-location and similar data sometimes including files on the tablet. I always disable such permission and then if the application fails to work without it I make a judgement call on an application-by-application basis. If you want additional privacy while web browsing enable Private Browsing mode on the web browser.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-03-11 08:08 PM
    Hi. When I run certain apps for the first time. Some say "do u want to allow app to access your personal data, etc etc". Do you remove the checkmark or leave it? What data are they after?
    I always had a similar concern, and I used to do what BBCA has posted earlier. But then it can become tedious in setting the permissions.
    So, I went and bought this app called File Protect, and I have allmy docs, pics that I do not want anyone or any app from getting an access on. I can tell for sure that the app does do an excellent job of hiding what you need to hide, so much that I once couldnt figure where my pics went.
    So, you can use that and have your files as protected and you are all set.
    Now I cannot tell you whether the app really restricts apps to access your protected data, but thats what they claim..... I am buying it for now
    Last edited by anindoc; 12-03-11 at 08:32 PM.
    12-03-11 08:29 PM
    i,ve just changed the version to 2.0 on the playbook. would like to know what do i need to to be able to download andriods apps on a playbook
    12-03-11 08:51 PM
    i,ve just changed the version to 2.0 on the playbook. would like to know what do i need to to be able to download andriods apps on a playbook
    Please search the forums, and you will find a lot of information on how to go about doing it. Just a note of caution, the OS2.0 is mostly suited for developers and has been touted to pose challenges for newbies and lay users.....
    All the best
    12-03-11 09:08 PM
    "Personal data" normally means your files on your Playbook. An app shouldn't do anything with such files without you initiating an action, but could - perhaps - read your files and do questionable things, especially if the app in question also has access to internet. It could copy your file to a server without your knowledge or consent.

The permissions are asked & set when you install the app. There is no other way to do that at the moment. An app cannot ask for your permission when you ask it to do something with one of your files. It's an all-or-nothing deal.

Our app, for instance, asks for access to your files to perform its function as a file manager. Without access to your files, it would have little reason to be. Being able to manage your local files, and files in the cloud, is why you would want to use our app.

With access to your files, we could - conceivably - spy on your secrets. Of course we would never do such a thing, but it is important that you know an app can do that. It may not even be an intentional breach of security - some apps are simply not as well written as others. Some apps may also use your file storage space to store their own files, e.g. settings or output files.

You can always deny access to your personal data on installation of the app. If you wish to perform some operation on one of your files, you can grant permission by going to the Playbooks settings screen an tapping Security. It's all a matter of trust: do you trust the author of the app with your data.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 12-03-11 at 10:22 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-03-11 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD